Should Apple ditch Space Grey for Matte Black?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious to see how many people were disappointed that Apple didn't announce a Matte Black iPad. Tell us your thoughts?

I, for one, am over Space Grey. I have it on my iPad Mini 2 & only chose it because it has a black screen. I've been in the market for a new iPad for a while but I'm not particularly in love with any of them. I think Matte Black would have made me run out and purchase one.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The biggest disappointment is them not announcing color but not announcing any new iPad Pro's.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
All my devices are in cases anyway so it really doesn't matter to me.

I don't use a case for my iPads, just a Smart Cover. When I travel with them I have pouches to keep them in.

The biggest disappointment is them not announcing color but not announcing any new iPad Pro's.

I partially agree. They definitely could have announced a new Pro but I would have been extremely underwhelmed by yet another Space Grey option.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I have an old iPad 2 in a Black case and a newer iPad Air 2 in a gold case. I'm a bit ambivalent about the device color.

I think Apple realizes that they need a lower price entry level tablet which is what the new iPad does.

As far as iPad Pro is concerned, Apple still has a long way to go before they can convince companies and individuals to ditch their laptops in droves.

I still think that the tablet form factor is a great media consumption device especially on the go.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Mine has smart cover and silicone case. Yep, Apple suckered me for an additional $69.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I did that with the first iPad 2 including custom engraving.

Since then I have become a lot wiser. A couple of coupon codes and $10 later, my newer iPad Air 2 is just as well protected as the original iPad 2 and has a tempered glass screen protector to boot.

I learnt a long time ago not to spend extra money on accessories from the OEM. Great aftermarket stuff works just as well and is made to the same standards/materials as the OEM.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I learnt a long time ago not to spend extra money on accessories from the OEM. Great aftermarket stuff works just as well and is made to the same standards/materials as the OEM.

You are 100% correct. However, I'm at a point in my life where I'll splurge some. :)

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I use the smart keyboard and no case and would definitely have selected matte black if it had been an option when I bought my iPad Pro.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to see how many people were disappointed that Apple didn't announce a Matte Black iPad. Tell us your thoughts?

I, for one, am over Space Grey. I have it on my iPad Mini 2 & only chose it because it has a black screen. I've been in the market for a new iPad for a while but I'm not particularly in love with any of them. I think Matte Black would have made me run out and purchase one.

I'm not disappointed, but then again, I wasn't expecting anything significant. Would I like to see an matte black iPad/iPad Pro? Definitely. Should Apple ditch the space grey color in favor of the matte black? Nah. They should make them in both colors, in my opinion.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not disappointed, but then again, I wasn't expecting anything significant. Would I like to see an matte black iPad/iPad Pro? Definitely. Should Apple ditch the space grey color in favor of the matte black? Nah. They should them in both colors, in my opinion.

Adding the Matte Black would be nice. Then those of us that like the black screens will have a choice

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... To be honest, I prefer space gray to matte black. I have a space gray iPad mini 2. I wish they would have kept that color for the iPhone. I like the space gray back better, though I do also like the matte black.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed that they're not offering a Rose Gold option. If they had, I would of jumped on it.

I guess I'm just a white screen hater My first iPad 3 was white & I loved it for a little while then I got sick of it. I have a Space grey mini 2 & while I'm not fond of the space grey, I absolutely love the black screen🤷🏾*♀️

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

I like the idea of an updated cheaper iPad. iPad Pro is far more a niche or not as useful as a laptop like 12" MacBook and it's expensive for someone in my seat who buys iPads a few or a dozen at a time.

I have no dislike for the Pro but for many it just can't replace a laptop. For sure my circle of IT and engineering associates need a laptop but I have users who do finance who also prefer a laptop.

One of our retail systems vendors has two tablets in their solution. Only one's an iPad. They've said two would be an iPad if they were cheaper. My guess is the iPad Pro fans got passed by here for solutions like that and the many families who will consider a less expensive tablet.

On color? I'm close to indifferent. I resisted black, now I like it. Last night I liked my son's grey phone. Not sure about a red tablet but it would match the white faces I like for iPads. For some reason I've always liked iPads with the white border most.

Pencil with a less expensive device would get my attention. I'm looking at more Office 365 spots on shop and retail floor. Both Surface and iPad Pro are expensive compared to some business class laptops.

:)

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

I would definitely agree about the Space Gray. It does feel a little old at this point and switching it to 'Matte Black ' might be just the thing Apple needs. the Matte Black seems to be trending at this stage with Apple products and hopefully Apple can capitalise on this.

It's not that the colour looks bad, it's just been there for a long time and becomes boring having the same thing. Even the Product RED has a Matte finish. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR