How to check: original or refurbished

nuky8181

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I found thread mentioning how to use the serial number to verify if the devices are original or refurbished for iPhone & iPad. I used the method on my friend iPad pro and it does not seem to make any sense.

Could anyone advise how I can verify if an iPad pro is original or refurbished using the serial number? I hope to use it as a method to verify before buying from other individual.:)

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't think there is a reliable way to do that without calling Apple and asking about the serial number. Your best bet is to purchase from an authorized Apple dealer.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with buying a refurbished device. There is no "stigma" attached to it. In fact, in most cases a refurb is a better AND safer deal. Allow me to explain.

When anything is sold as new, what do you think happens when that thing is returned to the store/seller, for ANY reason? Reasons can range from "it did not work at all" to "it had a scratch" to "I changed my mind".

At that point, it can no longer be sold again as "new". So, it gets shippped back to the manufacturer or, in many cases, to a manufacturer-approved "refurb facility". This is a place that has access to original parts, and can fix any issues that the device has. The devices get tested/fixed into "good as new" condition. They are then sold as refurbished because, again, they cannot be sold as new.

I have bought lots of stuff as refurbished. Tablets, phones, laptops, radios, etc. All kinds of stuff. Never had any problems with any of them. The reason is that, unlike new stuff, every refurb device has been tested. Many things sold as refurbished were just returns where the original buyer either did not know how to use it or they just had "buyer's remorse"'. Or it had a bad gizmo or a loose connection or whatever and did not work, but that issue has been fixed.

With things like phones, where everyone returns a phone to their carrier every 2 years, these get new batteries/screens/cases/whatever to again be "good as new ". This is where you can get a really good deal on a previous model.

What all of this means is this. Do not be afraid of refurbs. In fact, seek them out. You will get a good-as-new device at a deep discount.

iBright

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I was looking for how to find out my leslie then came across this discussion. Then I did a lil research on it. This is the closest so far came across on how to find if an iphone is refurbished. I don't know if it applies to iPads and other devices.

Below is how to find out
Actually it is very simple to tell if the device is refurbished by Apple.
Look at the first Letter of the model number
"F": refurbished unit
"M": retail unit
"N": replacement unit
"P": personalized (engraved) unit

mmedez

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I found thread mentioning how to use the serial number to verify if the devices are original or refurbished for iPhone & iPad. I used the method on my friend iPad pro and it does not seem to make any sense.

Could anyone advise how I can verify if an iPad pro is original or refurbished using the serial number? I hope to use it as a method to verify before buying from other individual.:)

I know when apple sells refurbished devices, the box it goes with it is different than the brand new box

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77