ipad pro 9.7 using old iPad air 2 smart case work around sleep and wake function help

boxer29

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
i upgraded from my iPad air 2 to iPad pro 9.7 ,
i had the apple smart case for the iPad air 2 which fits the i pad pro perfectly ,but the sleep and wake function is not working .
ive read that apple has changed the magnets positioning on the new iPad pro which work the sleep and wake function .
can some one tell me where are the magnets and can i modify the old iPad air 2 case to be working the sleep and wake functions .
i love the old case as its leather as apposed to the new iPad pro case which is silicone based .

thanks for sharing

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you'll be able to modify the iPad Air case to work with the 9.7" iPad Pro.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Even if you gets the magnets moved you still will have issues. You now how the camera bump that doesn't fit through existing camera hole, you flash will be covered, and your top stereo speakers are covered.

boxer29

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Even if you gets the magnets moved you still will have issues. You now how the camera bump that doesn't fit through existing camera hole, you flash will be covered, and your top stereo speakers are covered.
The camera hole is fine for the camera don't want yo use flash so don't bother even its covered .
The speaker on top work well even the case covers them ,no problem in getting sounds .
If anyone can give me the tips where the sleep wake magnets are located and how can I modify them .are these magnets any good to stick to the exixting case
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neodymium-...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2791019

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ipad pro 9.7 using old iPad air 2 smart case work around sleep and wake funct...

I bought a Piel Frama case for my new iPad Pro 9.7. I'm not very happy with it. They imbedded a magnet over where a hole for one of the ambient light sensors is. So when I'm running in a landscape mode my hand will cover the other ALS and the display dims. So I ordered a Sena case and it should work fine.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I've been playing around with an iPad Pro 9.7 case I bought. The manufacturer only made and opening for 1 of the ambient light sensors, upper right corner.

So I punched out a hole for the second opening for the ALS in the upper left hand corner. Then I drilled out the magnet that was placed there for the Hall Effect sensor, #1 in the *, pdf drawing attached above, in the same placed. Of course this disabled the magnetic auto on feature on the iPad.

I then bought 2 wafer magnets from Mc Master Carr. They have adhesive on 1 side and are clear on the other side. The difference between the 2 is the magnetic polarity. One magnet has the North side on the adhesive side and the other the South on the adhesive side. I then taped 1 magnet in the approximate position need on the cover. I found that the magnet with the South pole on the adhesive side (North towards the iPad) works an the other magnet doesn't.

The same is true for the Hall Effect sensor, #2, in the lower right corner. I played around with a iPAD Air case, which works fine with on my old iPad air 2, and found that with the new magnet positioned properly in the upper left corner and no changes to the magnet in the lower right corner the auto on feature will not work. So based on this I don't think a modified iPad Air 2 case will work on an iPad Pro 9.7.

Thought I'd pass this info on.

Edit 1: here is a photo of my mod. I kind'a screwed up the hole for the ALS but it still works as does the smart case feature. Like I said above make sure the North pole of the magnet is toward the iPad.

Attachments

• ipad case mod.JPG
    ipad case mod.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox