From Air 2 to 9.7" Pro...why? Any regrets?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking to possibly replace my perfectly-good iPad Air 2 with a 9.7" iPad Pro in the next day or so. I'm a "latest & greatest" kind of guy...but I'm not 100% sold on forking over the extra cash for an iPad that may/may-not be heads & shoulders better than what I have already.

I'd like to hear from some who have gone from Air 2 to the Pro. Is it a worthwhile replacement? Do you have any regrets? What significant & functional improvements in Pro make you know you made the right choice?

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The new iPad Pro 9.7" is an amazing machine, and stands head and shoulders above the iPad Air and earlier models in both speed and features. However, if you're using an iPad Air 2 you may regret your purchase. It will not be substantially faster and your iPad Air 2 will certainly run the latest iOS software. So, in your case, you'd be getting a new iPad that will add Pencil and a new keyboard cover. That's how I use mine, as a sort of mini-laptop that allows me to touch the screen as I desire. It's great to sit back in the coffee shop, munch on my croissant, sip on my tea, and use the Pencil for navigating the iPad interface as it sits up attached to its new mini-keyboard, which is also great for typing forum comments and the like. So, YMMV. There's certainly nothing wrong with the new iPad Pro 9.7", and it's a great replacement for my old iPad Air, but the newer iPad Air 2 is already pretty powerful and makes the comparison a bit more problematic. Good luck.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm in agreement with Dave. The 9.7" iPad Pro is an awesome machine. Speed, power, and features are more than sufficient for tablet and laptop use, in my opinion. Having said that, I'm not sure if it's a worthy enough upgrade from the iPad Air 2. Don't get me wrong, there is a noticeable difference in performance, but is the difference enough to justify the upgrade? My old MacBook was long past its usefulness so the decision to purchase the iPad Pro was quite easy for the most part. With that in mind, and if you haven't already, go to an Apple Store or a Best Buy and test them both out.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, guys. Just got back from my trusty neighborhood Verizon store, and after messing with a 9.7" & 12" Pro, I walked out and decided to keep my iPad Air 2 since it's the right thing to do...for me. I have a MacBook Air, an iPhone 6s & the iPad Air2...and the only thing I use my iPad for or would use the Pro for is web surfing & email. If I were going to use the pen and/or keyboard to take the place of a laptop...maybe.

Yeah, it's not worth dropping the extra $1000 just to say I have the latest & greatest, at least for now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, guys. Just got back from my trusty neighborhood Verizon store, and after messing with a 9.7" & 12" Pro, I walked out and decided to keep my iPad Air 2 since it's the right thing to do...for me. I have a MacBook Air, an iPhone 6s & the iPad Air2...and the only thing I use my iPad for or would use the Pro for is web surfing & email. If I were going to use the pen and/or.

Yeah, it's not worth dropping the extra $1000 just to say I have the latest & greatest, at least for now.

Excellent decision, and thanks for the update.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Weeeellllll...I just caved & ordered a 9.7" Pro from Verizon, and sold my Air 2. My rationale is that, with cellular LTE option I can use it more extensively when I travel, and 32gb doubles what I had before.

Sure I paid a lot more for the Pro, but it may be advantageous in just enough areas from my perfectly-good-but-limited Air 2 to make me happy I took the plunge. 😊

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
My macbook air is slowing down and becoming glitchy, so i find myself on my ipad air 2 more and more... But the minute I have the cash, I'm getting the pro 9.7.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Weeeellllll...I just caved & ordered a 9.7" Pro from Verizon, and sold my Air 2. My rationale is that, with cellular LTE option I can use it more extensively when I travel, and 32gb doubles what I had before.

Sure I paid a lot more for the Pro, but it may be advantageous in just enough areas from my perfectly-good-but-limited Air 2 to make me happy I took the plunge. ��

I've been fighting it constantly for the past month or so. Even bought one and immediately canceled it. I'm probably ordering one from AT&T here in the next day or two. I can't take it anymore - I need a companion device!

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Do eeeeeet... I got mine all set up this morning and it is the most fantafabulous ride everrrrrrrr!... No seriously it's an awesome tablet. And I haven't even begun to comprehend all its capabilities.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to the 9.7" iPad Pro and gave my Air 2 to my sister in law. Her iPad 2 was on its last leg and plus it gave me the opportunity to get a new toy!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Do eeeeeet... I got mine all set up this morning and it is the most fantafabulous ride everrrrrrrr!... No seriously it's an awesome tablet. And I haven't even begun to comprehend all its capabilities.

I can't decide if I want to get one from AT&T or just pay for one outright from Best Buy. They're on sale for $100 off right now at BB.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm no help: I coughed up the cash and bought it at Apple.
I must say it was worth every cent, this puppy is incredible.

wnick99

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm no help: I coughed up the cash and bought it at Apple.
I must say it was worth every cent, this puppy is incredible.

What storage capacity did you get: 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB? I'm at a crossroads between 128 and 256.

Also, did you get the cellular iPad Pro 9.7., or just WiFi only? :)

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Changed my mind: I'm biting the bullet and getting one now lol

You inspried me to just go ahead and just jump in and upgrade from my Air 2. We only live once right! :D
Plus with the sales and back to school coupons it was a pretty good deal.
Even got half off on the keyboard! Enjoy!

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You inspried me to just go ahead and just jump in and upgrade from my Air 2. We only live once right! :D
Plus with the sales and back to school coupons it was a pretty good deal.
Even got half off on the keyboard! Enjoy!

I think I'm doing the same. The education discount won me over. I didn't even know about it until this morning. But that makes it $200 off. Now just gotta figure out size... 32 or 128?!?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods