Not at all. My primary is a 2012 Mac Mini running dual 1440p monitors. It is a little long in the teeth and I am thinking of upgrading to an iMac but it still does a lot of stuff that my iPad can't dream of doing.

My Pro has, however, replaced my Macbook as my go to portable device. I rarely take the Macbook out of the house unless I am working on a project that I don't have a relevant app for on my iPad.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    05-30-2016 06:48 PM
    No, but it has become my portable notebook. I no longer need to carry textbooks, notebooks, etc... I have all the lecture notes and tutorial stuff on my Pro
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-01-2016 09:08 PM
    Definitely not, and I'm not sure it ever could. Well, not until the OS is the same anyway. The mobile OS is far too limiting currently to be a genuine alternative.
    06-02-2016 07:03 PM
    I don't have an iPad Pro; I only have an iMac (late '09), a Macbook Air and a first generation iPad mini (to be sold). However, I am thinking about replacing not just my iPad mini, but that and my Macbook Air with an iPad Pro. I do a lot of writing and web browsing (i.e. YouTube vids, browsing different websites, news reading, online shopping, etc.), and I don't truly feel as though I would miss out on anything by letting my Macbook go (save for macOS Sierra). I also appreciated how I didn't have much room for distraction with Pages, Numbers, or Keynote for iOS on my former iPad, compared with attempting to do the same on my Macbook or iMac.
    06-23-2016 03:15 AM
    Yep. It works just fine.
    06-28-2016 12:50 PM
    my iPad Air 1 is my primary device working well with a bluetooth keyboard.
    The Mac Mini has been resorted to a Server and Home Theatre machine.
    10-20-2016 05:55 AM
    It's fair to say that my MBA got used less once I got my 9.7 Pro and further still once I got a Logitech Create Keyboard for it. It takes care of my browsing, email, Twitter, podcasts, reading, note taking etc. That said there's tasks that only my MBA can do and so I'll have a "traditional" computer of some kind for the foreseeable future. I'd say the 3 main things that I do that need a computer are:
    1) Play Rocksmith 2014 via Steam (it's a guitar tutor that my maxed out 2012 MBA just about copes with this but it does run hot, might need to upgrade before it cooks)
    2) Run a Windows VM so I can use MS Visual Studio
    3) Run Photoshop (The iPad is catching up here quickly, it's not beyond the realms that in a couple of years that a tablet could replace/stand in for a computer here).
    It's funny when I look at that list that I'd possibly be better served with a Windows PC for my non-iPad tasks but I just don't want to go down that path.
    10-20-2016 04:07 PM
    I have an iPhone 6S+, iPad Pro 9.7, & Surface Pro 3.

I use them all, but my iPad has pretty much become my main computer. There's certain heavy duty work that I must pull out my Surface for. Plus, one of my printers neither the iPhone, nor iPad will connect to, but the other printer it will connect & works perfectly. That being said, sometimes that's the only reason I fire up my Surface, so that I can print something with that specific printer. I use the Apple Pencil all of the time.
    I love using iOS, you can tell it is designed "touch first" MS Office is pretty powerful on my iPad, usually my needs are taken care of. The battery life is amazing & I love how I can pretty stop using it in the middle of something, throw it on the sofa...Then come right back to it later & it's ready run perfectly.

I would definitely recommend the iPad Pro. I'm confident Apple will support it, the hardware is good, & it will retain it's value. There's even things I used to do on my iPhone that now I do on the iPad.

So, yes , I use my iPad as my main computer, visiting my Surface Pro 3 maybe once a week or less...With the exception of printing which is maybe 5 minutes of work. Fix that printer issue & I would use my Surface even less!! There's no question of which is more powerful, but I don't need that extra power all the time anymore.

Unfortunately, I still have to do my back ups on my PC. It does make my Surface almost feel like a brand new machine when I do use it because it's not very often now.

**I no longer have to visit my Surface to print regular documents, the iPad (and iPhone) are now able to print to both of my printers**
    Last edited by roystreet; 11-15-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    10-20-2016 05:14 PM
    There is an app on iOS called "printer pro". I have it on my 9.7" pro & it works with my Lexmark printer.
    10-20-2016 05:44 PM
    Thanks, Abu Khadija, I'm going to try it. I have tried the HP app, it still only prints to one of them...Maybe this one will work!!
    Last edited by roystreet; 10-20-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    10-20-2016 06:01 PM
    My printer is a HP Officejet 4630. Sorry for the mistake.
    10-20-2016 06:07 PM
    Thanks, but it only worked a couple times and then it no longer saw my printer again. After I disconnected from my network and then later reconnected it, it no longer saw that printer, even if I told it what the ip address was 😕
    10-21-2016 02:33 PM
    I'm trying to find the best option, too. Although I resist the Apple world, I am finding that perhaps the iPad Pro fits my use best of all. I have to stand and sit while taking notes.
    I'm mobile. I need it to be light, with long battery life, allow for a stylus/pencil, and it MUST BE A STABLE and non-fiddly OS.

So far, even with no worries about the price of anything, the iPad Pro seems like it could 90% replace the computer.

I have watched reviews on the various Windows tablets.... including Samsung's beautiful Tabpro S (256gig with 8gig RAM).
    They are nice, but are all either very fiddly and/or have compromised battery life issues.
    Fiddly example: Windows: using a stylus but even with palm rejection, it is easy to hit menu keys which dump you into a whole new world! The extra functions of a full Windows OS is certainly nice, but often.....when you are moving around and NEED reliability, you don't have the luxury of fooling around.
    My experience with iPads is somewhat limited, but they certainly give a sense of confidence when I do use them... they seem very stable and reliable....and stand up to use.
    Honestly, one key element that has always confused me and prevented my purchase of an iPad has been the lack of a file/folder system. To heck with it, I think I can manage without it.
    10-22-2016 02:19 PM
    Honestly, I use FileExplorer as my Windows File Explorer replacement and takes care of most of my needs. I can access pictures, networked hard drives, ftp sites, and cloud storage like Box.com or OneDrive.

I can open PDFs or MS word docs from it (Although it doesn't always show MS docs with correct formatting, etc) I can still "open in another app" and will be able to store files in there, even zips.

It is NOT a 100% replacement, but does a pretty good job. Partly it's just getting used to a different way of doing things.

The iPad is made for touch, so it truly does beat Windows 10 for that...It just does! I use the stylus very often and I wanted something with great writing capabilities This has it.

I still have a MS Surface Pro 3 & I still end up firing it up sometimes, but for the most part I don't. Nothing beats the light weight and battery life of the iPad. I'm only comparing iOS and iPad Windows. iOS has nice eye candy and yes, that's important to me!!

I'm confident that Apple is going to do more, adding more capabilities to the Pro series.
    10-22-2016 05:02 PM
    For me it has replaced just about everything I did with my broke Surface 3 and my desktop. I originally purchased one just to do things on the go since my Surface broke. But now I go to for everything from work, documents, gaming and art. I rarely turn my desktop on now and if I do it's usually to play a steam game.
    10-25-2016 05:55 PM
    When I got my Air 2, I started using my old MacBook Air less and less. Now with the baby Pro and the pencil, I have permanently retired the MBA and my iPad is my only computer aside from my phone. I am either busy remodeling 2 homes or out volunteering for the park service and always in the field doing trail reports, I never deal with a laptop anymore.

I use a wide range of the staggering amount of features and apps to update maps, show trail conditions, wildlife, various ecological studies, share and edit files, create docs, you name it and not once have I wished I had access to a laptop.

And the 256 GB storage is really nice: I have to hoard tons of stuff for each report or study, I don't have to worry about space.
    I have zero complaints about the battery life, though I do carry an extra battery pack on long trips.

... Did I mention the pencil ✏️ ?
    clickfiend and johndill17 like this.
    10-26-2016 12:42 AM
    I use it often but no..the mobile OS limits its appeal for me. But it's great for consumption.
    10-31-2016 08:22 PM
    My iPad Pro 9.7 (+ Logitech Create keyboard case and Apple Pencil) has not replaced my Mac Pro or my MacBook Air. What it has done is become the go to device for my digital life. It kind of flipped the paradigm. I keep hearing folks ask if this is a computer replacement. Well first we gotta answer the question, "What is a computer?" And by all accounts, all of these devices fit the bill. So then we gotta ask, "Has anything been replaced or removed?" And the answer to that is, "No". I still have all of them and I use them for stuff that they do well. What has changed is that the device that best addresses my current need most of the time is my iPad. And the list of things that I need one of the other devices for grows smaller every day. The flip is this. I used to use my iPad as a handy mobile device that could do a small subset of what my digital life called for. Now it is a handy mobile device that does most of those things, most of the time, in more places, in a more handy manner. As a result, the other devices have become handy somewhat stationary beasts that I use for a limited set of activities as the need arises and with lessening frequency. They have become accessories... to my iPad. So no, not replaced. But definitely superceded and supplanted.
    11-01-2016 06:07 PM
    +1 clickfiend
    Excellent way of describing the current process for me! I agree 100% - Except I use a Surface Pro 3, which is very powerful, but I don't need all of that horsepower most of the time. I'm tempted to buy my first Mac, but I wouldn't really use it much and they aren't cheap.
    clickfiend likes this.
    11-01-2016 06:16 PM
    No, it hasn't. I do use it everyday because it's easier than whipping out my MBP but honestly I feel Apple has just lost it. I have the iPhone, MBP, and now the 9.7 Pro with Smart Keyboard and Pencil but it's just not a full laptop replacement. What they should/need to do in my opinion is develop a hybrid OS between OS X and iOS because iOS isn't enough and OS X is maybe too much. I had to buy a $70 serial cord to console into Cisco switches when I could do it on my MBP with a serial to usb cionnection. Things like that and file management are main things that I personally feel the iPad Pro should have or just drop the "Pro" title because it doesn't deserve to have it. The Surface Pro is more of laptop replacement than iPad Pro if you goal is a tablet that replaces a laptop. However, I am already $1,100 invested in this and I own everything else Apple so it integrates nicely into my environment but parts of me regret my decision as a professional because Apple fell short for us in my opinion.
    Gotta say, there are some things I agree with here. Sure would be nice to use a mouse with my iPad Pro. But I believe that's all coming. Apple has a knack for improving upon what others do okay with.

Example, Surface Pro. Great portable laptop, not so good tablet IMHO, because there's no consumer app support. I used to be mostly-in with Microsoft and this was one of the main reasons I partly left.

Apple isn't perfect, but neither are the others. Regret isn't a fun feeling with buying new things, hope you can enjoy what you got, or sell them for a decent amount when you're ready, be it sooner or later.
    11-08-2016 06:02 PM
    Yes in a way. I still use my desktop computer to pay bills so I can print out receipts. Also use desktop for a DOS operating system check account programme.

Email is always checked using iPad PRO
    i agree. desktop and laptop is still the guy for everything *if portability isn't an issue to you. the powerful processor is actually worth to consider hardcore users. as for the ipad pro, i really like how you can turn ipad pro as sketch pad with the apple pencil.

but i still prefer laptops and desktop.
    11-15-2016 06:28 AM
    if I can actually code (software development) on the ipad, it will replace my MBP
    11-16-2016 05:06 PM
    So it's been several months now that I've had my baby pro and nope, nope, nope, i still don't miss my MacBook, lol. I do everything on my iPad or my phone, I do not feel limited in the slightest. *iz happy*
    muchospanish likes this.
    11-16-2016 07:18 PM
    for most everyday stuff like surfing the internet, I use my iPad Pro. I was excited to use my iPad to help me on my nanowrimo attempt this month, but the times I've used it to write makes me miss typing on my MacBook Pro. So now, I'm using my MacBook more. I'm even thinking about getting rid of the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro and getting the Macbook if they update it enough in 2017
    11-17-2016 07:49 AM
    I will be making the leap on Monday I have a work-issued MacBook Air, but someone else really needs it, so I'm giving it to her. That will leave me alone with my iPad Air 2. It's a little scary because I do need to use a computer sometimes, but I can use one of the secretaires' when they go to lunch

If I can get myself an iPad Pro 9.7 at Target on Thanksgiving night ($150 off), I'll upgrade. I want the Pencil.
    Evilguppy likes this.
    11-17-2016 12:17 PM
87 1234