What color space the iPad Pro camera uses to shoot an image?

Lenshead

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody know what color space the Ipad camera uses to shoot an image.

With my Canon 6D I can specify either aRGB or sRGB for the camera space. So any idea what color space the Ipad Pro 9.7 uses? Does the camera use the new DCI P3 color gamut when it takes an image?

Maybe just the display uses the new color gamut.

Jim A.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Re: What color space doe the Ipad Pro use

The iPad Pro 9.7" use the DCI-P3 color Gamut.
If your camera doesn't support it directly, just set the sRGB color space, that better represent it. Do not use aRGB.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

I would like more details about how the new iPad Pro 9.7 inch handles colour, and Google doesn't find much info.

- How does iOS make use of the wider colour gamut of the new display? Does iOS support the full P3 colour gamut for graphics, or still just sRGB? If only sRGB, does iOS do some kind of "reverse tone mapping" on the new iPad to will the full gamut (which will mean graphical colours look different on the new display compared to previous iPads)? Or are application graphics restricted to sRGB, as before?

- For images and video, I assume the full P3 colour space can be used for formats that support it. Is the full decoding, processing, rendering and display pipeline run at 10 bits (minimum)? If not, banding may be an issue which will reduce quality.

- Finally, what do people think of the new display? Wider colour gamuts are not always liked by users in subjective tests.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

One further question - Apple don't make any claims about the iPad Pro 9.7 inch display supporting HDR, as far as I know. However, given its relatively high brightness, it probably could render HDR content quite well if the black level is sufficiently low and dark tones can be rendered accurately enough. Does anyone have any details about this?

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

The iPad Pro 9.7" use the DCI-P3 color Gamut.
If your camera doesn't support it directly, just set the sRGB color space, that better represent it. Do not use aRGB.

I disagree with this post. sRGB is a smaller colour space than P3. aRGB (i.e. Adobe RGB) covers most of P3. They don't fully coincide so some tone mapping is required, but you will exercise most of the colour gamut of your new display if you use aRGB (assuming your camera can actually capture all colours in the aRGB space).

Even better is to use RAW format, and the iPad Pro will be able to process the image itself and display it with optimal quality.

I don't know what colour space the iPad Pro camera uses. I doubt it's the full P3 but I'm always willing to be corrected.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Most of the information I was looking for is contained in this article: Understanding the 9.7" iPad Pro's Display: How DCI-P3 & True Tone Work

I would still like to know whether the processing and display are 8 bit or 10 bit, and if 8 bit whether this causes any quality problems. I would also like to know how iOS deals with P3 colours on other iPhones and iPads - presumably it now does some tone mapping? Are all existing devices fully capable of doing what's necessary?

Also still curious about people's impression of the wider colour gamut display.

Last edited:

rededecrv

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site

Why would you use SRGB when ARGB supports up to 30% more colors? In most applications you will use adobe RGB that's the norm some cases you will use higher grade DCIP-3 for ever better color accuracy but those are for the higher end uses. Although almost nobody these days should be using srgb which is about as outdated as rec.709, well it's technically not but most forms of video and photo editing support the far better adobe RGB.
I mean hell current gen smartphones and tablet displays are above 95% adobe RGB let alone the paltry 72% srgb.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods