If I purchase the iPad Pro mini 9.7 from a wireless carrier, will I have to purchase it with a data plan? Or is the only place to buy one unlocked from a carrier at the Apple Store?
    04-08-2016 03:33 PM
    Some carrier stores have both options but you more than likely will have to go to an electronics store like best buy or the apple store.
    04-08-2016 03:35 PM
    You won't typically need to purchase a data plan if you purchase the iPad at full retail price from a carrier. All iPads are unlocked regardless.

But if you purchase one from a carrier at a subsidized price or some other sort of purchasing agreement, they typically require a data plan.
    JML5150 likes this.
    04-08-2016 06:04 PM
    I don't really see the point of buying one of these without at least having the option to add it to a data plan. It is a mobile device. The moment you step away from a location with Wifi, should you be satisfied that your $600+ device no longer works?

In New York or Chicago, and other similarly dense cities, that might not be as bad as it would be in Houston or Atlanta.
    04-27-2016 11:49 AM
    I don't really see the point of buying one of these without at least having the option to add it to a data plan. It is a mobile device. The moment you step away from a location with Wifi, should you be satisfied that your $600+ device no longer works?

In New York or Chicago, and other similarly dense cities, that might not be as bad as it would be in Houston or Atlanta.
    You do have the option to add it to a data plan, but for many of us, it's easier and less expensive to simply purchase a pre-paid SIM (regarding data) for a limited timeframe and renew it as needed.
    04-27-2016 11:52 AM
    You do have the option to add it to a data plan, but for many of us, it's easier and less expensive to simply purchase a pre-paid SIM (regarding data) for a limited timeframe and renew it as needed.
    I was referring to the Wifi only versus cellular data versions. As for whether prepaid or postpaid or which carrier, it is a personal preference that can be changed any time fortunately. Getting the Wifi only option leaves you stuck without choices though.
    Hawker800 likes this.
    04-27-2016 12:14 PM
    I was referring to the Wifi only versus cellular data versions. As for whether prepaid or postpaid or which carrier, it is a personal preference that can be changed any time fortunately. Getting the Wifi only option leaves you stuck without choices though.
    Nothing in this thread was related to the WiFi only model.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-27-2016 06:10 PM
    My apologies. I was under the impression that the OP's concern was with buying an iPad Pro without having to purchase a "data plan". I took that to mean he was interested in a cellular model since he mentioned "wireless carrier" but did not mention Wi-Fi at all. Then I thought you were saying that you didn't understand why anyone would get a cellular model without purchasing what I assumed to be a monthly data plan. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    04-27-2016 09:16 PM
    I got mine from Target. It's wifi only. If that's what you're talking about, you can get wifi only models at a lot of retailers. I don't feel the need to pay for the cellular model. I am on wifi most of the time and if I need data other times, I tether it to my phone.
    04-27-2016 11:13 PM