Visit site
Currently have a macbook 12 inch and a 6 plus

is the iPad pro 9.7 inch worth it???

wondering with my combo of devices if worth the cost or worth having
looking forward to your responses

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
This is very much a personal choice question. The iPad Pro 9.7" is not a laptop with a desktop operating system, in spite of what Phil Schiller, Apple's head of marketing would like people to believe. Nor, is it an iPhone. The iPad Pro 9.7" is a standard sized tablet with an operating system optimized for running single purpose apps on a handheld device.

It's great for businesses running custom apps tailored to their environment. It's also great for users hanging around home browsing the web, doing email, chatting with iMessage, handling financial transactions, taking/making phone calls tethered to the iPhone which may be in a charging dock somewhere else nearby, and performing other tasks using one of the million plus dedicated apps in the App Store, from a handheld device on a decent sized screen. It's my go-to device for 80+% of my computing needs, day to day. I turn to my iMac for more complicated work better served by a desktop class operating system on a larger screen.

There's nothing I do on my iPhone 6 that I can't do on my iPad Pro 9.7", except make direct phone calls, and since they're connected via iCloud, I can even make calls from the iPad Pro 9.7". The trade off is portability. The iPad gets used mostly around my home, the iPhone 6 on the go when I need to actually have access to the web, and my Apple Watch for customized notifications while my iPhone is packed away or in the other room. All these devices are linked together with my iCloud account, so which device I turn to is really which is most convenient for my situation at that moment.

So, is it worth it? For me, it is. However, only you can decide how much of Apple's ecosystem you can afford to buy in to, even if it seems cool otherwise. From a hardware viewpoint, unless you currently own and use an iPad Air 2, it's pretty much a no brainer.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I personally don't think it is. Ultimately ended up returning my Pro because my iPad Air 2 ultimately served the same purpose and I couldn't justify all the extra cost because of that.

If I were an artist or had absolute needs for the pencil I would have kept it however browsing, social media, movies and some document processing is done just as well on my Air 2

Posted via the Android iMore App!

brookeyydooo

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the feedback. I currently do not have an iPad and I usually result in using my MacBook or phone. I am on the go a lot with work so my iPhone 6s Plus is usually my main driver for a lot. I feel like the iPad is awesome. I do not know if it worth the 500 to splurge when I have the MacBook 12 inch which is also so light weight. I did purchase one to see how often I use it and if I still tend to pick up my MacBook or phone rather than this.

brookeyydooo

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the feedback. I currently do not have an iPad and I usually result in using my MacBook or phone. I am on the go a lot with work so my iPhone 6s Plus is usually my main driver for a lot. I feel like the iPad is awesome. I do not know if it worth the 500 to splurge when I have the MacBook 12 inch which is also so light weight. I did purchase one to see how often I use it and if I still tend to pick up my MacBook or phone rather than this.
I do love the idea of an iPad but unsure if I have the time to even use all three to justify having it. I do am not an artist but I do like having an extra reader rather than my 12 inch but do I need it is more of her question to spend for iMessage, Safari, social media applications,Netflix, iBooks, and entertainment

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Mr. Marsh is spot-on in his assessment. Having said that, I purchased my 9.7" iPad Pro as a replacement for my aging MacBook, and for the most part, I've succeeded, but as Mr. Marsh stated above, iOS on the iPad Pro is NOT a laptop with a desktop operating system and so there may be some things I will need my MacBook for. Setting my iPhone as new via iTunes is one thing that comes to mind. Paying bills, saving payment receipts, web surfing, email, forum stuff, online shopping, etcetera can all be accomplished via my iPad Pro with ease. Is it worth it to you? I do not know, but it is worth it to me. Still, if I had a recent MacBook / MacBook Pro model, I would not have purchased the iPad Pro, but I'm glad I did...

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to add....before I took the train to school but recently got a car so my desire for the iPad has lessen since the primary reason to get it was to read books on the subway.

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Its a great ipad, i got the ipad pro last weekend, 32g, silver, and im loving it..... faster than my 6s plus.... if your looking to keep the ipad for years, go with latest and greatest, itll last you longer....

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I got one over the weekend trying to justify if i really need it with my line up of a macbook 12 inch and an iPhone 6s plus

It's all about the use cases you want to service, for me it was mainly around lean back consumption and entertainment and work "triage" where I action simple tasks, and enjoy always on 4G access.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 6S so the iPad fits quite well.

I see your challenge in that the 12" is a great and highly portable device, for me that setup would fail as I wouldn't want to use the MacBook for reading stuff before I go sleep and also on an airplane for watching video content (I often have my iPad in the seat holder, where available, and still do work on my MacBook Pro).

I have to say that the Smart Keyboard Cover is far more useful and transformative for my iPad that I first thought it would be, over the past week my use of my iPad for work duties has grown quite a bit, as I can now punch out great typing speed/accuracy.

It's a fantastic problem to have, that you have choice and great devices to match your needs.

Good luck!

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I personally don't think it is. Ultimately ended up returning my Pro because my iPad Air 2 ultimately served the same purpose and I couldn't justify all the extra cost because of that.

If I were an artist or had absolute needs for the pencil I would have kept it however browsing, social media, movies and some document processing is done just as well on my Air 2

Posted via the Android iMore App!

I was coming from an older iPad, and I'm thankful for that, as if I had an iPad Air 2 I wouldn't have considered the Baby Pro, and would have ended up missing out on this fantastic Smart Keyboard Cover (that has turned out to be the biggest upgrade for me).

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Have to say if I had a new MacBook and a 6S plus then I'd be struggling to see where an iPad fits in unless you're desperate to use the Apple Pencil.
In my situation I have a 4 yr old MacBook Air and an iPhone 6 so the choice was to replace my MacBook this year or keep the one I have but reduce its use and make an iPad my main day to day device which is what I've done.

HawkXCi

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I have both a 6S Plus and a MacBook 12" and have ordered the iPad Pro 9.7 as i've missed not having an iPad these past 2 years. The potential issue i'm seeing though is that times have changed - I now have a 'large' iPhone and a Macbook, as opposed to using an 4" iPhone and a Macbook Pro 15". I felt the iPad was a fair middle-grounded device for me reading books, comics, games, browsing in bed etc. it felt like a device that the iPhone wanted to be, a device that was more relaxing to use in comparison to the phone.

But now i'm wary if it's still that device, at least for me. My iPhone has a wonderful screen - not book reading/comic wonderful though - and my Macbook 12" is so portable yet large enough to task myself with whatever that i feel the iPad may end up getting shelved. I guess i'll have to give it a field test. Here's hoping i find the wonder of apple's tablet in this different age

brookeyydooo

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
hello question for you
currently using a macbook air have used retina in the past and its beautiful.
would you go with a macbook air 13 inch or a macbook pro
the macbook air i have is a 2015
i use my computer for
safari, music, online shopping, social media, bill pay(sigh) photos at times, news, youtube.. out of the macbook air and the mac book pro what would you recommend???

and you'll love the baby pro

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I have both a work provided MacBook Pro 13" (2016) and a personal MacBook Air 13" (2012), I actually can't bring myself to use the MacBook Air anymore purely due to the non retina screen (once you've used one for an extended period, you can't go back).

Right now I'd be waiting to see what Apple announces at WWDC, current thinking suggests that the perfect blend of the 13" Air and Pro might be delivered.

The internals of both the Air and the Pro both eclipse your requirements, so it simply comes down to if you can put up with a non retina monitor and care about the additional size/weight. For me right now the MacBook Pro is the right device, coming in second would be the 12" Retina MacBook, then the Air.

justinnowak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I have a 6s+, a new macbook and an iPad pro 9.7 and I actually love the combo. I find that they all compliment each other well. But i do drawing in my renovations business, so the pro is an amazing tool. The Macbook does the heavy lifting when I need it to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2