Beware of this.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Wanted to purchase this IPad on ebay today. Noticed I will be scammed into paying sales tax.

I was never asked to do this with previous iPad orders. I wonder if this is a way for eBay to get mire monies.
This will make sell business for ebay.

[Image removed - contained personal info]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Wanted to purchase this IPad on ebay today. Noticed I will be scammed into paying sales tax.

I was never asked to do this with previous iPad orders. I wonder if this is a way for eBay to get mire monies.

6458a21e19e19f0b584bbd0ad016806b.jpg

If you’re Vanessa Marcil, then I want to marry you.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
“Scammed” into paying sales tax?

Please explain. The only time I can avoid paying sales tax is using my work account, but I also had to submit a resale certificate provided by my corporate office.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

Please explain. The only time I can avoid paying sales tax is using my work account, but I also had to submit a resale certificate provided by my corporate office.

Some states dont require sales tax for online purchases. Michigan just started requiring it last year. South carolina began requiring it Nov 1st of last year.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Because one never paid sales on eBay. I even have saved receipts that show no tax being collected. Then recently on the same product and seller sales tax is added in. It is a scam because peeps purchase products to about paint tax on these things.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Call it a scam if you want, but it’s probably more along the lines of “governments wanting to get their share of the money”.

I log into my Ebay or Amazon personal accounts and put something in my cart, and low and behold there’s tax.

I log into my Ebay or Amazon work accounts and do the same thing and there is no tax. But I also had to submit resale certificates.

It’s not a scam. It’s the cost of doing business.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

6458a21e19e19f0b584bbd0ad016806b.jpg

I don't think sales tax is a "scam". I recall recently some sort of legislation passing requiring sales tax on online purchases now as well. Previously, if I recall, there wasn't always sales tax when making purchases online.

Also...if that's a real order confirmation belonging to you...you should delete your address information from the post.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In Alabama, we used to not have to pay sales tax on out of state purchases. I think we do now. May include online purchases as well.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
No, no. Remember, anytime it’s e-commerce related and you don’t like the way it’s done, you can call it a scam.

You know, the way the state scams me into paying property tax.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Sales tax being collected for goods purchased is not a scam, even if it’s not what you’re used to from that particular merchant. Showing the pre-tax amount in the product listing and then adding in sales tax in the cart is how it’s always been done.
And, if we’re being honest, just because sales tax isn’t collected doesn’t mean you don’t owe it. This is exactly why your tax preparer or software asks if you’ve purchased any taxable goods and not paid taxes on them at the time of sale.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox