Has anyone had an issue where their Apple Smart Keyboard won’t connect? I picked one up from Best Buy for my 12.9” Pro 2 and it intermittently disconnects and won’t reconnect without a restart, and even then sometimes doesn’t reconnect. I’ve checked the contacts and they are both clean and I’m running the latest iOS 11. Is there a way this keyboard could be faulty? It’s really making it difficult to use.
    01-03-2018 09:47 AM
    Sounds like you have a faulty keyboard. Make a Genius Bar appointment and hope that the problem can be reproduced in front of them so they can replace it
    01-03-2018 04:23 PM
    Sounds like you have a faulty keyboard. Make a Genius Bar appointment and hope that the problem can be reproduced in front of them so they can replace it
    Agreed. The Apple Smart Keyboard connects immediately to my iPad Pro.
    01-03-2018 04:53 PM
    Agreed. The Apple Smart Keyboard connects immediately to my iPad Pro.
    I have a Logitech Create Keyboard for my 12.9” and it always connects with Smart Connector. Definitely needs to be replaced.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-03-2018 05:13 PM
    It should connect immediately. As others have mentioned, I think you’ll need to visit the Apple Store and get it replaced.
    01-03-2018 05:46 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to see if I can just exchange it at Best Buy and if not I will take it to the Apple Store.
    01-04-2018 05:17 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to see if I can just exchange it at Best Buy and if not I will take it to the Apple Store.
    Awesome! Please keep us updated
    01-04-2018 08:42 AM
    I have had it happen every now and then. Usually closing all open apps seems to get it working again. It doesn’t happen often, I experienced the same with my 12.9 I would say 95% of the time it works fine.
    01-04-2018 08:34 PM
    Sometimes it stopped working too. Disconnecting it and reconnecting it seemed to solved the issue for me most of the time.
    01-05-2018 08:45 AM
    There’s a known issue with the keyboards not working when connected to guest WiFi networks. Is that when you see the issue?
    01-08-2018 06:56 PM
    There’s a known issue with the keyboards not working when connected to guest WiFi networks. Is that when you see the issue?
    No, it happens whether I’m on WiFi at home or away, on WiFi or with WiFi turned off.
    01-10-2018 03:15 PM
    Now I’m thinking its my iPad. Apple gave me a new keyboard and since bringing it home it has started doing the exact same thing. This is either a software issue or a hardware issue with the iPad. Whatever it is, its not the keyboard and it sucks.
    01-10-2018 03:17 PM
    I had the same problem and it did end up being my iPad. I got a different iPad and the keyboard works flawlessly with it. Sorry.
    01-10-2018 05:03 PM
    Now I’m thinking its my iPad. Apple gave me a new keyboard and since bringing it home it has started doing the exact same thing. This is either a software issue or a hardware issue with the iPad. Whatever it is, its not the keyboard and it sucks.
    I’m sorry to hear this. Have you thought of bringing the iPad over to the Apple Store? You might be able to get it replaced.
    01-10-2018 06:27 PM
    This probably sounds crazy, but I have to do this every week at a workstation at school.

USB direct doesn’t connect to my laptop, but using a USB extension works every time.
    01-10-2018 06:58 PM
    Did it work fine on iOS 10 and then suddenly have issues with iOS 11? If so, it is the known issue I’m referring to. I’ve got several co-workers with the same issue. Apple has replaced my keyboard twice. I’ve reset my device and set up as new. Nothing works. People are reporting it in Apple forums as well.
    01-11-2018 05:24 AM
    This is actually a new iPad Pro. My previous one (iPad Pro 1) didn’t have this issue with iOS 11. I sold both the keyboard and iPad Pro 1 and purchased everything new and that’s when the problems started. I’m going to attempt to exchange my iPad and see what happens. I’ll report back.
    01-11-2018 06:18 AM
    So I’m convinced this is an issue with garbage iOS 11. I say garbage because it has been a bug ridden mess since it launched. I set up a genius appointment and they provided me with a new iPad after repeatedly showing them this issue. Upon getting home with it and setting the iPad up as new, the exact same issues are happening. Incredibly disappointing. It’s amazing to me that for all of the great products that Apple churns out, iOS 11 has been the absolute worst piece of software they have ever released. What a shame, because I love the portability of the Smart Keyboard and the feeling of the keys. Too bad.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    01-11-2018 05:28 PM
    So I’m convinced this is an issue with garbage iOS 11. I say garbage because it has been a bug ridden mess since it launched. I set up a genius appointment and they provided me with a new iPad after repeatedly showing them this issue. Upon getting home with it and setting the iPad up as new, the exact same issues are happening. Incredibly disappointing. It’s amazing to me that for all of the great products that Apple churns out, iOS 11 has been the absolute worst piece of software they have ever released. What a shame, because I love the portability of the Smart Keyboard and the feeling of the keys. Too bad.
    I had this problem prior to 11. I also found it as a major complaint on the Apple Support Website as well. Not saying that 11 didn't make it more widespread, just that I had the problem last spring.
    01-14-2018 10:19 AM
    I think it’s iOS 11 as well. My issues started happening as soon as I went to 11 and had persisted since. They’ve replaced my keyboard twice and I’ve wiped my iPad and set up as new with no success. If you search apple’s forums you will see a lot of reports of issues. My co-workers have the same issue. Not sure why they haven’t addressed it yet. 11 has been nothing but headaches.
    01-15-2018 07:52 AM
    I think it’s iOS 11 as well. My issues started happening as soon as I went to 11 and had persisted since. They’ve replaced my keyboard twice and I’ve wiped my iPad and set up as new with no success. If you search apple’s forums you will see a lot of reports of issues. My co-workers have the same issue. Not sure why they haven’t addressed it yet. 11 has been nothing but headaches.
    Yes, to me there is no question this is software related and due to the mess that iOS 11 has been. I'm in the same boat. Have had keyboard replaced and iPad replaced and the issue still remains. Its honestly embarrassing that Apple has not addressed this and has two pieces of hardware that they made that don't work with one another. I have resulted in going back to a bluetooth keyboard until (hopefully) Apple fixes this issue. For them to charge what they charge for their hardware there is no excuse for this.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    01-15-2018 08:02 AM
    Yes, to me there is no question this is software related and due to the mess that iOS 11 has been. I'm in the same boat. Have had keyboard replaced and iPad replaced and the issue still remains. Its honestly embarrassing that Apple has not addressed this and has two pieces of hardware that they made that don't work with one another. I have resulted in going back to a bluetooth keyboard until (hopefully) Apple fixes this issue. For them to charge what they charge for their hardware there is no excuse for this.
    Agreed and for them to not have a fix for this long after iOS 11 release is a bit shameful. Everyday when I get to work, I have to check to make sure the keyboard is working before connecting to work WiFi and then when I check after connecting, I verify that the keyboard no longer works. Then I turn WiFi back off and see that the keyboard is again functional and then I toggle WiFi back on and everything works as expected. Seriously though? I really should not need to do this. It’s a bit insane.
    01-15-2018 06:47 PM
    Dam that totally blows, sorry to hear that man. I’m not having issues on iOS 11 and Logitech Create which uses the smart connector
    01-19-2018 06:30 PM
    I thought I was the only one that didn’t like bug-ridden iOS 11. It is seriously the worst that I’ve ever used on my iPhone. I got an iPhone X and while I was trying to set it up with my previous apps, the App Store kept crashing. I didn’t even leave the Apple Store and was already finding bugs. My AirPods have been garbage since iOS 11. I got a new left AirPod and right AirPod provided by Apple after a Genius Bar appointment, and also got the new iPhone X and didn’t restore from a backup. SPECIFICALLY TO PREVENT BUGS. And a ton of bugs still exist, even on their best hardware, and my replacement AirPods are doing the same wrong things. iOS 11 is just sorry and I feel bad that it is giving you terrible bugs as well.
    01-24-2018 07:59 PM
    I thought I was the only one that didn’t like bug-ridden iOS 11. It is seriously the worst that I’ve ever used on my iPhone. I got an iPhone X and while I was trying to set it up with my previous apps, the App Store kept crashing. I didn’t even leave the Apple Store and was already finding bugs. My AirPods have been garbage since iOS 11. I got a new left AirPod and right AirPod provided by Apple after a Genius Bar appointment, and also got the new iPhone X and didn’t restore from a backup. SPECIFICALLY TO PREVENT BUGS. And a ton of bugs still exist, even on their best hardware, and my replacement AirPods are doing the same wrong things. iOS 11 is just sorry and I feel bad that it is giving you terrible bugs as well.
    Honestly its almost comical at this point. When I see people defending iOS11 all I can do is roll my eyes. I'm one of Apple's biggest fans but there is just no defending how bad iOS 11 has been, and it isn't showing any signs of improvement.

Even with the latest update its still buggy, which is mind boggling to me. I also have an iPhone X and after updating to 11.2.5 my recent calls keeps freezing and I have to quit the app several times and reopen it before it will start working correctly. Even still when putting calendar entries in and typing in the location there is horrible lag while the phone tries desperately to find the location you are typing in. I've never been so disappointed in an OS as this one, and its honestly the very first time I've considered jumping ship because its so ridiculously bad.
    01-24-2018 08:04 PM
36 12