Is the Pencil worth it?

AppleJuiced

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi all! I just got an iPad Pro for Christmas! I was wondering if the Apple Pen is worth getting? Does anyone know if It's applicable if I'm not an Artist?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you don't need it for drawing, then it's basically just a normal stylus. Not worth it if you don't draw much.

Agreed. I have the Pencil and use it almost every time I'm on my iPad Pro, but only as an expensive stylus since I'm not an artist. Having said that, the Pencil is accurate, feels great, is perfect for signing digital documents and it charges quickly. Is it worth buying? That depends on you. It isn't worth it to me, but since I have it, I will use it.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi all! I just got an iPad Pro for Christmas! I was wondering if the Apple Pen is worth getting? Does anyone know if It's applicable if I'm not an Artist?

Hey AppleJuiced! Welcome to iMore and thanks for the question.

As darius_robin said, unless you are a artist and need precision for drawing or sketching . It's basically going to seem like a normal stylus for the average day person and i don't think it would add much benefit. The Apple Pencil has got a ton of tech built into it though. :)

Beefred00013

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
I have it it probably just the luxury of accessories for example a case do you really need it or do you want it I preferred a zagg invisashield and if my screen cracks I just email and request a new one for free plus a 6 dollar fee for shipping and handling

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Yes you really need a case. My iPhone 6s Plus was naked for one week when I got it last year. Dropped it in the bedroom and it bounced off the bookshelf and onto the carpet. I got a case right away. Also a few months later I dropped it outside on the sidewalk, because of the case with a bumper the phone is fine. Now that I have the 7 plus I got a case right away, no more chances.

Things are too expensive to replace, it's better, in my opinion, to put a case on it.

Last edited:

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

What are you going to do with your iPad Pro?
Even if you are not an artist, it still could have it's uses.

For instance playing from sheet music that you have stored on the ipad, with a pen you can easily write remarks, fingering or other comments in the music.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
If I got an iPad Pro for Christmas. I would buy the Pencil just because I could. Plus you damn well know everyone you show the the Pro to is going to ask where the Pencil is, forcing you into some lame explanation of why you're too cheap to buy one of the coolest features on the Pro. Save yourself the grief, and just get the Pencil already ...

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If I got an iPad Pro for Christmas. I would buy the Pencil just because I could. Plus you damn well know everyone you show the the Pro to is going to ask where the Pencil is, forcing you into some lame explanation of why you're too cheap to buy one of the coolest features on the Pro. Save yourself the grief, and just get the Pencil already ...

I personally own the Pro. I also own the Pencil. Nobody really asks about the Pencil. If they were to ask, I'd have to politely say "I will have to look for the Pencil because I use it so infrequently that I have no idea where it is right now". Then I'd have to go look for it, blow the dust off, charge it for about 10 minutes...then let them use it for 5 minutes only for it to go back to the corner it was in. Lol.

Is it worth it? I'm not an artist and I hardly take notes so I would say no it's not. When i think about it, I use it. Which is hardly ever.

Although I may use it tonight since this thread reminded me that I own it.

anon(2763304)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I use it for taking notes with Notability. Highlighting an epub or pdf is much easier and precise. I also sketch using Paper 53, though I am not artistically talented, but I have been encouraged to explore my creative side. All of this is much easier and possible because of the Apple Pencil. I have used other styli, but they lacked. I feel it's worth getting the Pencil.

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
procreate app has inspired me to draw....

the Pencil is WHY I am staying with the iPad rather than going with a windows device (easier access to my files etc)

Ashraf Ilman

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Apple Pencil is the best stylus out there. Unlike the Smart Keyboard, the Apple Pencil is the iPad Pro accessory to get: it's the best, and has no viable alternatives.

emanwis

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I use mine almost every day at work. I'm no artist. Mine is useld mostly for note taking during meetings and for signing PDF documents emailed to me. I feel that it was well worth the money spent. I agree with the others, though, if you won't be drawing or taking notes, it may not be worth the money. Enjoy your new iPad!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner