The Apple Pencil does it scratch my iPad

loveseyecandy

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I just got my iPad Pro 12,9" today I'm not sure if my pencil will scratch my screen??
Also how do u get this pop up menu by clicking and holding something maybe like mail or I'm not sure. Can someone help me pls, also the pencil came with an extra pointer what for? I don't have a screen protector yet is it safe to use it???

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Re: The Apple Pencil does is scratch my iPad

Excuse me I dont understand.
Did your pencil actually scratch your iPad or you are just afraid it could happen ?
The Pencil is made of plastic, that is softer (way softer) than glass, so it cant scratch it in any way.
The only way to ruin it could be by catching some particles of sand between the pencil and the glass itself.
The extra pointer is provided because it could wears over the time and use, because of its soft nature.

I never used a screen protector on my iPads, and it could ruin your Pencil experience. Just buy a Smart Cover to keep the screen protected while not in use.

I don't understand what clicking and holding menu are you referring. Maybe you are speaking about 3D Touch functionality you saw on the iPhone 6S. It isn't implemented on any iPad.

Elim

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Also how do u get this pop up menu by clicking and holding something maybe like mail or I'm not sure.
No, you can't simulate with the pencil 3D touch. But you can use the pencil like your finger, to use menus, click on buttons, it works really well.
And no, the pencil didn't scratch (see MaxSmarties post) but it feels really nice. For me it's the first pen where I didn't had the feeling to move some rubber over glas but to draw with a pen on paper.
And like MaxSmarties I also never use a protector on my ipads, only a cover and after years of using, I didn't have any scratches. The pencil will not change this and I would also expect that many protectors will influence negatively the pencil feeling.
And yes, the extra pointer is only because you have to replace them from time to time. But I would expect self by heavy usage that one pointer can go for month.
So, you must not be concerned, it's really a good pencil, works very well and one of the best I ever tested.

loveseyecandy

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

No, you can't simulate with the pencil 3D touch. But you can use the pencil like your finger, to use menus, click on buttons, it works really well.
And no, the pencil didn't scratch (see MaxSmarties post) but it feels really nice. For me it's the first pen where I didn't had the feeling to move some rubber over glas but to draw with a pen on paper.
And like MaxSmarties I also never use a protector on my ipads, only a cover and after years of using, I didn't have any scratches. The pencil will not change this and I would also expect that many protectors will influence negatively the pencil feeling.
And yes, the extra pointer is only because you have to replace them from time to time. But I would expect self by heavy usage that one pointer can go for month.
So, you must not be concerned, it's really a good pencil, works very well and one of the best I ever tested.

Okay Ty very much! Wasn't sure right now it's still backing up from my old iPad Air!!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I use my Apple Pencil often and have not had any issues with it scratching anything. If anything I am too afraid to press down firmly as I am more afraid that the pencil might break. The Glass looks to be very durable on the iPad Pro.

loveseyecandy

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

I use my Apple Pencil often and have not had any issues with it scratching anything. If anything I am too afraid to press down firmly as I am more afraid that the pencil might break. The Glass looks to be very durable on the iPad Pro.

Tyvm for the info yea I have the 12.9 or something like that iPad Pro and no screen protector yet so I was a bit scared to use it...

jessm1378

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

How often do you need to replace the tips? Are people really going thru one a month? That seems a little excessive...?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

How often do you need to replace the tips? Are people really going thru one a month? That seems a little excessive...?

That'll depend on your usage. Still, unless you're constantly drawing or coloring with it, I doubt you'll be replacing the tip on a monthly basis.

loveseyecandy

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site