Will the 12.9" iPad Pro be too big for me?

Elim

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi.
I am still undecided: will the 12.9 to big for me or not? The problem is here that I take my current iPad to work and read during transport (train, bus, metro) and on the stations books, sometimes also comics and newspapers.
My question is now to owners of the 12.9: what is your expierence? Is the 12.9 still a device for on the way? Can you use, read on it in the train, bus, also when there is no table? Is it after 30 min. to heavy?
Regards,
Oli
PS. I already tested it by myself in a shop and I didn't found it to big or heavy, but that's something else then doing it for weeks, months.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Expierence: iPad pro 12.9 : On the way?

Hi.
I am still undecided: will the 12.9 to big for me or not? The problem is here that I take my current iPad to work and read during transport (train, bus, metro) and on the stations books, sometimes also comics and newspapers.
My question is now to owners of the 12.9: what is your expierence? Is the 12.9 still a device for on the way? Can you use, read on it in the train, bus, also when there is no table? Is it after 30 min. to heavy?
Regards,
Oli

With the smart keyboard case by apple it makes it easier to handle. You can rest it on your lap. I'm sure there are other cases that offer similar functionality. It is bigger than your previous iPad and it will be an adjustment. And ultimately only you can decide whether or not it will work for you. For me it has worked out well and it is still a pretty portable device.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I have used mine on the Metra train from the Burbs to Chicago and it has worked fantastically! I don't think that the larger size makes it any harder to use.

timelady

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site

I love mine. I use it a lot on the bus. And oddly, being in a wheelchair, I was worried it would be inconveniently bug to carry around. No more than any other iPad, actually! I am so glad I didn't get the smaller one, I was really worried I would find this too big. The split screen real estate is what has sold me. So productive.

JoseGutierrez

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

After having the iPad Pro since launch, I am very much used to the size. My kids have older 9.7" iPad's and I would have a hard time going back to that size. That being said, the iPad Pro is portable to a point. If you're on a train with tables, perfect. On a bus, train in a seat? The viewing angle with the Smart Keyboard could be better but it'll be fine. Have not had a chance to try on a plane but I imagine using it on your lap would be fine or on the tray in front of you.

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Hello! For me the iPad Pro has been a joy. I received mine in early January (Verizon LTE model) and I immediately got used to it. I sold my Air 2 and haven't looked back.
But to me quite honest with you, for me, the 12.9 is not ideal for travel. I'm so scared to drop it, so I mostly only use it at home. And I say mostly because I do take it out from time to time.
But maybe in the future I will purchase a baby Pro just for travel.

Elim

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Okay, thank you all. I bought one and have it now for one day and happy with it. It's really not to big for me but my air is now sooo small. But it's heavier then I expected. But so long you not walk around with it, it's really okay.

And beside media comsumption, I bought it also because of the pencil. My first quick drawing:
image.jpeg
I am really impressed. He is much better then many other pens or boards I used until now.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Okay, thank you all. I bought one and have it now for one day and happy with it. It's really not to big for me but my air is now sooo small. But it's heavier then I expected. But so long you not walk around with it, it's really okay.

And beside media comsumption, I bought it also because of the pencil. My first quick drawing:
View attachment 104973
I am really impressed. He is much better then many other pens or boards I used until now.
Awesome drawing! ... I wish I had drawing talent.. Thanks for sharing.

ftlum

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will the 12.9" iPad Pro be too big for me?

For me, it's mainly hard to hold the 12.9 in landscape mode and type with my thumbs. It makes Star Walk difficult to manage. Everything else is about how I'd operate with my old iPad 3. I can read in bed with the device on my legs as before. If you usually hold your iPad in 1 hand, unsupported away from your body, this would probably be difficult but I I never held my old iPad that way.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

I have the same concern, The 12.9" is a big tablet, which can be both an advantage and disadvantage. Overall my concern is two fold. Avoiding any unfortunate accidents when not in use. Such a big flat surface area, if not put away or protected, accidents may occur (I have 10 year old daughters). Second is using it, hand/arm fatigue specifically. Its one thing to hold an iPad mini up while reading or playing games, but I think its something else with the iPad Pro

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site

I have the same concern, The 12.9" is a big tablet, which can be both an advantage and disadvantage. Overall my concern is two fold. Avoiding any unfortunate accidents when not in use. Such a big flat surface area, if not put away or protected, accidents may occur (I have 10 year old daughters). Second is using it, hand/arm fatigue specifically. Its one thing to hold an iPad mini up while reading or playing games, but I think its something else with the iPad Pro

You won't worry about any of that once you have one, I always use my iPads on lap or on desk with a cheap esr smart case. Split view is great for reading.
The mini would be the only iPad light enough to hold for reading long periods but I use a kindle if I want to do that and its readable in sun.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

The mini would be the only iPad light enough to hold for reading long periods but I use a kindle if I want to do that and its readable in sun.
That's nice to know, I was away a couple of weekends ago, and I was tempted at that point to get the IPP, mostly for the movies. Watching a movie on the Mini is ok, but something larger would mostly increase the enjoyment :)

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site

That's nice to know, I was away a couple of weekends ago, and I was tempted at that point to get the IPP, mostly for the movies. Watching a movie on the Mini is ok, but something larger would mostly increase the enjoyment :)

I use mine a lot for movies/tv/sport/WSL surfing, that was my main reason for going the 12.9 iPad, bigger/faster with 4gb ram. The 9.7 is too small for me. The pen is great for notes on the 12.9, i mainly use one note with the calculator in split view, i use the pen as a pointer/navigator heaps too.

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site

I find it hard to type with my thumbs in portrait mode as well. I find the big screen is an advantage for large spreadsheets, pdf viewing, and watching movies. It has not really proved to be an advantage for any other uses for me. So, I'm going back to my iPad Air and selling the iPad Pro.

gdgtmom

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 104973

Congrats on the iPad. That is a cute elephant too.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Will the 12.9" iPad Pro be too big for me?

I find it hard to type with my thumbs in portrait mode as well. I find the big screen is an advantage for large spreadsheets, pdf viewing, and watching movies. It has not really proved to be an advantage for any other uses for me. So, I'm going back to my iPad Air and selling the iPad Pro.

Typing using thumbs seems difficult to do. I use a stylus to type with. Works great.

Last edited: