Pro Owners: Would you still have purchased 12.7" Pro if there was also a 9.7" model?

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
As the title says, curious if those who own an iPad Pro would have still purchased the 12.9" model if a 9.7" model were also on the market and available?

Speaking for myself, I would have still bought the 12.9" Pro because I love the screen real estate when editing photographs and watching media.

I ask this with the rumours of 9.7" model being introduced next month.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I prob would've gone for the smaller one first. Possibly swapped it out after though.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Pro but this is similar to swapping out a 6/6s Plus for the smaller model. There's usually a reason people go for the larger size, and obviously Apple felt that there was a market for a larger iPad. There are probably a few that wanted the internals of the Pro and went with the larger size because it was all that was offered but I think most like the larger size.

reygza

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes. 12.9" is the perfect size for use with the Apple Pencil. It matches the size of the 9"x12" sketchbooks I've used. Also watching movies/videos is much nicer on the larger screen. The older iPads look small to me now. No way I could go back.

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I would still get the 12.9 because it's much easier on my eyes. The 9.7 seems small when I look at it now.

Snap..... Having used and owned several iPads I always used to think the iPad mini was small. Now, whilst using my iPad Pro I look at my Air 2 and think "how did I manage"?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes. The current 12.1 is great to use with Pencil to draw and sketch and even use the Duet Display app to use it as my second screen to my Mac. This would be hard and frustrating with a smaller one.

Powerplaygraphix

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Downfall to Astropad is that it only mirrors and doesn't extend the desktop. This cause a problem with if you don't have a Retina display because it up-rez's the mirrored screen and becomes extremely pixelated where Duet actually uses the native resolution of the iPad and extends to it. It can't be wireless but it works very well. Astropad, on my 2011 Macbook Pro non-retina, is miserable.

stoverje

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I would have still purchased the large iPad pro version. I use the split screen a lot with large excel spreadsheets and other office documents and the larger screen makes this actually useful.
Even consuming media like web sites, movies and ebooks is so much better. Drawing on the larger screen with apple pencil is better than any other stylus and touch screen product I have ever used.

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the 12.9" but it is just to far in to the "hybrid" device arena, like a laptop. There is just something about that near 1# form factor of the 9.7 that should make it the perfect note taking device (probably not for you creative drawing types).

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the 12.9" but it is just to far in to the "hybrid" device arena, like a laptop. There is just something about that near 1# form factor of the 9.7 that should make it the perfect note taking device (probably not for you creative drawing types).

Clearly, to each their own, but the iPad Pro is the absolute perfect size. Having had the Mini's & Air's - no way would I go back 🤓

emanwis

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I actually bought the 12.9" model today. While I've not had a lot of time to work with it, I know I'm going to like this size.

JoePa2624

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I've considered going with the 9.7" Pro, but I just can't give up the real estate of the 12.9" Pro now. Not only does the 9.7 look small to me. I think it's ugly with larger bezels.

Plus running split screen on the smaller Pro looks awkward to me. I can't go back.

ftlum

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I got my 12.9 last week. Aside from the True Tone display, I didn't feel like I'd be missing anything-- I rarely took my iPad 3 out of the house and pretty much never took pictures with it. In the end, size mattered most.... as it often does ;).

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods