Loaded up 9.3 on iPad Pro LTE model
    Pencil no longer has any scrolling functions in mail pages or within apps

Anyone else demonstrating this problem?

Rolled back to 9.2 and pencil resumed normal functions
    01-15-2016 11:51 AM
    Tried connecting and unconnecting, reconnecting pencil. Pencil responds to tap but does not page swipe nor respond to any swiping motions in any apps. Works in keyboard tapping
    01-15-2016 01:20 PM
    Same thing. This is obviously a bug. Please everyone go to the feedback app and report this. It may not make a difference but the more people that report it maybe the faster 9.3 beta 1.2 comes out instead of waiting for 9.3 beta 2. This really sucks!
    01-16-2016 02:59 PM
    Loaded up 9.3 on iPad Pro LTE model
    Pencil no longer has any scrolling functions in mail pages or within apps

Anyone else demonstrating this problem?

Rolled back to 9.2 and pencil resumed normal functions
    How do u roll back to 9.2?
    01-16-2016 03:00 PM
    Same thing. I submitted a bug report.
    01-16-2016 04:15 PM
    Anybody able to confirm if beta 2 solves this? I have loaded beta 2 and at the office with my Pro and working late tonight and don't have my pencil with me to test.
    01-25-2016 09:30 PM
    I confirmed it still doesn't work. No scrolling with the pencil on beta 2.
    01-26-2016 01:51 AM
    Maybe Beta 3?
    01-26-2016 12:28 PM
    I've read that this may be intentional. Apple wants to make clear that the Pencil is only for sketching, drawing, markup, etc... Not navigation.
    01-29-2016 05:09 PM
    I've read that this may be intentional. Apple wants to make clear that the Pencil is only for sketching, drawing, markup, etc... Not navigation.
    Wow. "No, you can't use this 100 dollar add-on device the way *you* want. You can only use it the way *we* want you to use it, and you'll like it!"
    01-30-2016 03:37 AM
    Wow. "No, you can't use this 100 dollar add-on device the way *you* want. You can only use it the way *we* want you to use it, and you'll like it!"
    Doesn't that apply to most companies? For instance, if I buy a Samsung smartphone, but I want to run iOS 9.3 beta 2 on it (you know, use it the way I want to use it), I am unable to. If I buy an iPhone from Sprint and want to use it on the Verizon network, I am unable to.
    01-30-2016 06:39 AM
    Doesn't that apply to most companies? For instance, if I buy a Samsung smartphone, but I want to run iOS 9.3 beta 2 on it (you know, use it the way I want to use it), I am unable to. If I buy an iPhone from Sprint and want to use it on the Verizon network, I am unable to.
    That's a very specious way of replying. We're not talking about using Apple's pencil on a Samsung device or anything similar. We're talking about using Apple's Pencil on an Apple Device that was able to do certain things and the higher ups saying "Nope, we don't like people doing that. You can't do that anymore." It'd be like a car company suddenly saying "We don't like people driving on highways so the built in GPS won't let you go on entrance ramps now."
    01-30-2016 11:54 AM
    That's a very specious way of replying. We're not talking about using Apple's pencil on a Samsung device or anything similar. We're talking about using Apple's Pencil on an Apple Device that was able to do certain things and the higher ups saying "Nope, we don't like people doing that. You can't do that anymore." It'd be like a car company suddenly saying "We don't like people driving on highways so the built in GPS won't let you go on entrance ramps now."
    My reply was not misleading, and I was responding to the comment you posted above. Anyway, in keeping with what I was stating previously, I'll use the car analogy you used. When I put my car on cruise control, I want it to work in conjunction with my built-in navigation system and drive me to my destination while I sleep. I'm assuming this is possible and the capabilities are purposely being withheld from me just like you're assuming Apple stunted the Pencil based on hearsay from reygza who stated that he read that it "may be intentional".
    01-30-2016 02:48 PM
    Where have you read this?
    01-30-2016 02:51 PM
    My reply was not misleading, and I was responding to the comment you posted above. Anyway, in keeping with what I was stating previously, I'll use the car analogy you used. When I put my car on cruise control, I want it to work in conjunction with my built-in navigation system and drive me to my destination while I sleep. I'm assuming this is possible and the capabilities are purposely being withheld from me just like you're assuming Apple stunted the Pencil based on hearsay from reygza who stated that he read that it "may be intentional".
    Closer but still not in the ballpark. We know that there are currently no self driving cars being sold right now. There are some being worked on, but they're not available to the public. There was a feature with the Apple Pencil that *was* working on iOS 9.2 that is now *not* working on iOS 9.3 Beta. Hopefully it's just a bug and the rumor's just a rumor.

But to use your analogy, it's more like "We know you enjoyed using cruise control at any speed, but we decided we don't want people using cruise control any faster than 40 MPH, so from now on, if you try to activate your cruise on the highway, it just won't work." I hope Apple isn't using this mentality but that there's just something in the software that needs to be fixed before public release.
    01-30-2016 03:00 PM
    Closer but still not in the ballpark. We know that there are currently no self driving cars being sold right now. There are some being worked on, but they're not available to the public. There was a feature with the Apple Pencil that *was* working on iOS 9.2 that is now *not* working on iOS 9.3 Beta. Hopefully it's just a bug and the rumor's just a rumor.

But to use your analogy, it's more like "We know you enjoyed using cruise control at any speed, but we decided we don't want people using cruise control any faster than 40 MPH, so from now on, if you try to activate your cruise on the highway, it just won't work."
    We'll simply agree to disagree.......Take care.
    01-30-2016 03:02 PM
    Where have you read this?
    It was an article on an Apple-centric website, can't remember which one. They referenced a Jony Ive quote that stated they (Apple) didn't want the Pencil to be seen as a replacement for a pointing and clicking tool but one that was specific to drawing/sketching/markup. It was speculation.
    02-01-2016 11:50 PM
    Maybe Beta 3?
    Nope
    02-08-2016 01:28 PM
    Yep not fixed in beta 3. Starting to think as posted above its not a bug and Apple changing how the pencil can be used.
    02-08-2016 02:29 PM
    Yep not fixed in beta 3. Starting to think as posted above its not a bug and Apple changing how the pencil can be used.
    Yikes that sucks ... I enjoy using the pencil to scroll and tap objects. I find it to be a benefit.
    02-09-2016 12:07 AM
    There's a reason they called it the Apple Pencil and not the Apple Stylus.
    02-09-2016 12:22 AM
    But there's no reason they need to remove the additional functionality that exists currently in 9.2.

If I'm already using the pencil I now have to put it down or switch my grip on it if I want to scroll or tap? Or for some people who might actually need to use a stylus type device for some reason, instead of just buying an apple pencil and being done with it, they now have to buy two additional things?

Sorry, but it's a load of BS if they're actually removing functionality and this isn't just a bug.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    02-09-2016 02:29 AM
    What does Apple gain by disallowing the Pencil to be used for navigation?
    Trigati and Wildo6882 like this.
    02-10-2016 08:17 PM
    This is fairly off-topic here, but I'll brave the waters and ask anyway:

If I install the public beta of 9.3, when the general release comes out, will I be able to OTA update to that build without any data loss?
    02-13-2016 04:40 PM
    It is dawning on users that this is not a bug, but a decision by Apple to prevent users from using the pencil for anything other than artworking. We thought Apple had changed their mind about a Tablet being a failure if it works with a stylus. But they hadn't.
    Very poor treatment of users. If Apple had wanted to make the pencil have no navigational functionality, they should have removed functionality from the start. To have that functionality and then take it away, is clearly contemptuous of its customers.
    Trigati likes this.
    02-14-2016 09:29 AM
37 12