iPad Pro - Dead spot on digitizer..?

iprofun

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I suggest if you are having the problem, to contact the Apple store and make an appointment to your most convenient Apple store so they can help you with the issues. I kind of finally figured it out. I purchased the Paper 53 pencil and paired it to the Paper app and it seems to be working much better now, even including while using the regular cheaper stylus. It must be something to do with having the Apple pencil to kind of "wake up" the missing cells, and in my case having a Bluetooth stylus helped. I still have an appointment next week to try my Ipad with the Apple pencil to confirm that everything is working fine. Best of luck!

aslondon

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
my space gray 128 Verizon LTE appears to be fine. I tried scribbling using notes plus and could not replicate the issue

Al

paulrubin3

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
No issues with my 128 gig LTE iPad Pro and Apple Pencil other than the pencil seems to lose about 6% charge per day just sitting in my bad with the sleeping Pro. Not sure if that's typical. Charges fast so not a big deal but seems odd. I did have the problem where it you left it charging well past when it hit 100% only a cold reset could wake it up but that disappeared with 9.2

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
sounds about right with mine too. Referring to the post above mine about 6% per day on pencil drainage.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reporting this. I just colored my entire screen in using the notes app and didn't see a dead spot.

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the dead spot on my iPad pro space gray Verizon. I don't have the Apple Pencil, just using a basic stylus. I'm glad I found this thread to know it wasn't just me.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I did more research on this today. No matter what, my apple pencil reads fine over that so called dead spot that you guys are reporting. But if I use my finger and use it very lightly and go over that so called dead spot, it will stutter right at that spot. The line I draw will kind of break up. But with normal pressure from my finger there is no dead spot or no issues with any pressure with the pencil. Even super light pressure with the pencil it didn't have an issue. So I do have an ever so slightly dead spot in that exact area that everybody is reporting. But with normal usage and pressure, there are no issues. So I guess to an extent if your really looking for the issue, it's possible that it can be found on many other iPads as well. I don't see this as an issue because without this thread, I would never have caught it.

compupane

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately for me, I have to use a dumb stylus because I use a head-pointer (I'm physically disabled) and no matter how hard I press, I have this dead spot issue. I'm thinking about using one of my three "upgrades" from T-Mobile to see if the space grey model will have the same problem.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Disregard my post above from 1/5/16. It was a Spigen glass that I installed on my Pro and realized that affected the touch screen. I peeled it off tonight and my iPad is back to normal. Not noticing any dead spots.

iprofun

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Not happy to report that the effect of the Pencil 53 stylus didn't last, I started having problems again in the same spot. I reported the issue at the Apple store and they told me that it should work with any stylus, including the ones without bluetooth connection. It's very frustrating for me to use it, so I ended up returning the Ipad. I may purchase it later if they correct the problem which they told me could be fixed with the next IOs update? I was afraid it could be a hardware problem and didn't wanted to be stuck with a defective product, since I don't know much about how those things work. By the way, I tested the 4 models of the IPad Pro on display and got the same results (light silver and gold colors), same dead spot, same size.

Last edited:

xrobinx

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
I just had my iPad replaced and the new one has a dead spot. I wonder if the store I got it from has a bunch of lemons? I haven't tried it with an apple pencil yet because I can't get one. My next step is to go to the Apple Store, hopefully they can get one out of the box that works.

I have the 32g space grey, and the dead spot is across all drawing apps with regular stylus.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I just had my iPad replaced and the new one has a dead spot. I wonder if the store I got it from has a bunch of lemons? I haven't tried it with an apple pencil yet because I can't get one. My next step is to go to the Apple Store, hopefully they can get one out of the box that works.

I have the 32g space grey, and the dead spot is across all drawing apps with regular stylus.

Just out of curiosity, perhaps you should try a 128GB model. I checked my for a dead spot and luckily don't have one. I wonder if other folks that have the 128GB model have the dead spot. Now, you shouldn't have to spend more on the 128GB model (if you don't want to) but I'm just curious.

iprofun

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I had a 128 GB Gold, WiFi only, and got it replaced with the same color and model. Same issues. I don't know about the ones at the Apple store, 2 light silver and 2 gold. All had the same dead spot.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Anybody have the issue with 9.3? Just curious if the OS solves that issue for those who had it.

cugms

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I also encountered this issue as others have reported on reddit and in Apple's discussion forums.

What's been determined is that the issue was introduced with iOS 9.2 and that it does NOT occur with the Apple Pencil.

All the iPad Pros may be afflicted with this, but you'll only observe it after upgrading to 9.2+ and by using a normal capacitive stylus or very light touch with your finger.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro