My review of the Apple keyboard case vs. Logitech Create Keyboard Case

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So I've had the chance to use both of these keyboards with my iPad Pro. I purchased both of them when I got the Pro because I wasn't sure which one I'd prefer as the reviews were for the most part really positive for the Logitech Keyboard and somewhat mixed for the Apple Keyboard.

Here is my short review on both of these keyboards:

Design - The Apple Keyboard wins here for looks. Its much more streamlined and thinner than the Logitech. The Logitech doesn't look bad, but it does add some considerable thickness to the device and isn't nearly as clean looking as the Apple Keyboard case.

Typing experience - For me, the Logitech is far and away a superior keyboard. Typing on it feels like typing on a Macbook Air or Pro and it is really really great. In my opinion the Apple Keyboard keys are a little too shallow and I just didn't feel like I could type as well or as comfortably as the Logitech keyboard. The Apple keyboard is by no means terrible, but the Logitech is the clear winner to me in overall typing experience.

Protection - The Logitech is going to offer a little more protection I think because it is a little thicker. With that being said, I prefer the looks of the Apple keyboard.

Typing on your lap - Logitech clear winner here. There is no wobble on your lap and it sits comfortably. Really really nice to not have any type of weird movement on your lap when you are typing on you iPad. Apple's keyboard wobbled far to much for me to even consider using it as a daily keyboard to type on.

Extras - The Logitech keyboard is backlit and its so nice to have that feature.

Verdict - If you can't tell from above I vastly prefer the Logitech keyboard over the Apple Keyboard. Its not really close in my opinion. The typing experience alone makes it much better but the extras like lap comfort and backlighting make it all the more better. The Apple one is fine but for anyone who is going to do a decent amount of typing on this device then there is only one keyboard case to get here in my opinion.

Rydsmith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely detest the Logitech Create case and think you are downplaying the added bulk of the case.

It literally increases the iPad Pro's thickness by three fold and makes it weigh more than a MacBook Pro. With the added case it was thicker and weighed more than my MacBook Pro and begged the question, why would I use the iPad Pro instead of my MacBook with a much more robust OS and less bulk?

The buttons on the Create case are also abysmal. They are very very hard to push in and require substantial force. Add in the fact that it feels like you are going to break the iPad or the case every time you put the tablet in or out.

While Smart Keyboard has some cons (I actually like the keyboard typing more) it is a much better choice than the Logitech Create keyboard, with that cost and bulk, one might as well get a MacBook.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely detest the Logitech Create case and think you are downplaying the added bulk of the case.

It literally increases the iPad Pro's thickness by three fold and makes it weigh more than a MacBook Pro. With the added case it was thicker and weighed more than my MacBook Pro and begged the question, why would I use the iPad Pro instead of my MacBook with a much more robust OS and less bulk?

The buttons on the Create case are also abysmal. They are very very hard to push in and require substantial force. Add in the fact that it feels like you are going to break the iPad or the case every time you put the tablet in or out.

While Smart Keyboard has some cons (I actually like the keyboard typing more) it is a much better choice than the Logitech Create keyboard, with that cost and bulk, one might as well get a MacBook.

I couldn't disagree more. First off you don't need to use the buttons, at all. The keyboard has all the buttons you need so that is a complete joke of a point. Secondly the typing experience isn't close between the two. The Logitech keyboard is miles better than the Apple One, plus it's back lit.

The added bulk is ridiculous. Why carry an iPad with a keyboard at all if you want to use a MacBook? Yes it is a little bulkier but the typing experience and backlit keys are a trade off worth it in my opinion.

Cost? The Apple keyboard is more expensive so why buy a keyboard at all? Just use a MacBook.

Sorry but I totally disagree with you on every possible argument you have.

Rydsmith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
The added bulk is far from ridiculous, it is literally three times bulkier with it on.

One of the major points of the iPad Pro is the convenience of having something very light and easy to carry with you, the Logitech Create Case throws that out the window.

If you want to use your tablet in tablet form with the Create Case, good luck it will still be very bulky and you great risk scratching the back of the iPad Pro. Want to just take it out? Even more luck to you as it is a complete pain to take it in and out.

I said that I personally prefer the typing experience, stop making your opinion fact. But it is not an opinion that the Logitech case is bulky, very bulky, and that the buttons are a pain to use. Those are facts. Want to use portrait for newspapers or drawing, again good luck with that.

I never said it wasn't a good case, but I for one detest it and returned it after a week of use due to the bulk and the amount of compromises I had to make for it.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The added bulk is far from ridiculous, it is literally three times bulkier with it on.

One of the major points of the iPad Pro is the convenience of having something very light and easy to carry with you, the Logitech Create Case throws that out the window.

If you want to use your tablet in tablet form with the Create Case, good luck it will still be very bulky and you great risk scratching the back of the iPad Pro. Want to just take it out? Even more luck to you as it is a complete pain to take it in and out.

I said that I personally prefer the typing experience, stop making your opinion fact. But it is not an opinion that the Logitech case is bulky, very bulky, and that the buttons are a pain to use. Those are facts. Want to use portrait for newspapers or drawing, again good luck with that.

I never said it wasn't a good case, but I for one detest it and returned it after a week of use due to the bulk and the amount of compromises I had to make for it.

Dude take a breath. I get it, you detest it (lol). We can agree to disagree but don't have a stoke or anything.

bigdad84

May 17, 2012
Visit site
My iPad Pro Smart Keyboard just came in today and I have to say I am quite enjoying it. It looks alot nicer compared to the Logitech case/keyboard. When it comes down to it, astetics is a big deciding factor for me. And I'm glad I made the choice with the Smart Keyboard.

reygza

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more. First off you don't need to use the buttons, at all. The keyboard has all the buttons you need so that is a complete joke of a point. Secondly the typing experience isn't close between the two. The Logitech keyboard is miles better than the Apple One, plus it's back lit.

The added bulk is ridiculous. Why carry an iPad with a keyboard at all if you want to use a MacBook? Yes it is a little bulkier but the typing experience and backlit keys are a trade off worth it in my opinion.

Cost? The Apple keyboard is more expensive so why buy a keyboard at all? Just use a MacBook.

Sorry but I totally disagree with you on every possible argument you have.

This. For me, the point was having something with a big screen that wasn't as bulky as a MacBook, the Logitech defeats that purpose. While it was a better typing experience initially, the portability of the Smart Keyboard won me over (and I actually liked the feel of the keyboard when I tried it in the Apple Store).

bigdad84

May 17, 2012
Visit site
This. For me, the point was having something with a big screen that wasn't as bulky as a MacBook, the Logitech defeats that purpose. While it was a better typing experience initially, the portability of the Smart Keyboard won me over (and I actually liked the feel of the keyboard when I tried it in the Apple Store).

Did you manage to get your hands on one for purchase? Or are they still out of stock with a few weeks out waiting time?

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I picked up the Logitech keyboard case. I was skeptical due to the added bulk, but once I used it for a few days it grew on me. Most of the time I am using the Pro on a desk or on my lap, so the added weight and thickness isn't really noticed. I think the keyboard is great, and being backlit should be a requirement for a case/keyboard that costs this much. I tried the apple keyboard too, and I just didn't see $170 bucks there. I had a hard time parting with 150 bucks for the Logitech as it was.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I picked up the Logitech keyboard case. I was skeptical due to the added bulk, but once I used it for a few days it grew on me. Most of the time I am using the Pro on a desk or on my lap, so the added weight and thickness isn't really noticed. I think the keyboard is great, and being backlit should be a requirement for a case/keyboard that costs this much. I tried the apple keyboard too, and I just didn't see $170 bucks there. I had a hard time parting with 150 bucks for the Logitech as it was.

Is it easy to pop the ipad out of the logictech case? I would be doing that everyday after work to use with just a smartcover. I don't ever use a keyboard while I'm at home. If it's easy to pop in and out, I may get the Logitech instead of waiting for the Apple smart keyboard.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Is it easy to pop the ipad out of the logictech case? I would be doing that everyday after work to use with just a smartcover. I don't ever use a keyboard while I'm at home. If it's easy to pop in and out, I may get the Logitech instead of waiting for the Apple smart keyboard.

Many people are complaining about how hard it is to get the iPad out of the case, but I haven't had any issues. Since the top of the case only covers half of the iPad, pulling on the iPad while having a thumb on the case makes it pop out pretty easily.

EDIT: Today was actually the first time I took it out of the case since I got it. After doing it a few times to test it out, I noticed the plastic "clips" starting to wear/bend quickly. I might honestly take it back because of this. Looks like this was meant to be a "permanent" case solution, and in your case I think you will wear out the tabs holding iPad in.

Sorry for the bright pictures. The sun comes right in my office window in the morning.

qHnR3kn.jpg

VO2scgV.jpg

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Many people are complaining about how hard it is to get the iPad out of the case, but I haven't had any issues. Since the top of the case only covers half of the iPad, pulling on the iPad while having a thumb on the case makes it pop out pretty easily.

EDIT: Today was actually the first time I took it out of the case since I got it. After doing it a few times to test it out, I noticed the plastic "clips" starting to wear/bend quickly. I might honestly take it back because of this. Looks like this was meant to be a "permanent" case solution, and in your case I think you will wear out the tabs holding iPad in.

Sorry for the bright pictures. The sun comes right in my office window in the morning.

http://i.imgur.com/qHnR3kn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VO2scgV.jpg

Thank you for that! I actually picked up the keyboard over lunch. I may just return it. I really need a keyboard for work notes. The guy at the Apple Store says I should just try it for a week or two. I have till 1/8 to return it if I don't like it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711