I went to Apple Store to buy the iPad Pro, and I was really excited to get it, when I start playing with the one on display, I noticed a black spots when I touch the screen with a little more pressure (I thought it has 3D Touch) .. End up going home without it.

My video to show the black spots: Here is why I didn't buy the iPad Pro-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1447312925.790996.jpg
    11-12-2015 02:22 AM
    Other words you had no money.
    bigdad84, Xm_jdm, shief24 and 4 others like this.
    11-12-2015 03:56 AM
    While at the Apple Store, you could have easily had a genius bring one out from the back, power it on for you to see if it also displayed a black dot. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 11-12-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    brookeyydooo and shief24 like this.
    11-12-2015 05:33 AM
    I think you made a good choice. Sometimes the first batch can have problems.
    JustZE likes this.
    11-12-2015 06:04 AM
    I can't imagine Apple made it that way by design, and I don't recommend making a purchase decision by something funny on one store display model. Those things get tampered with daily and you never know what it's been through.
    Thank you for sharing your experience though. I hope that issue is localized to the display model in your video.
    JustZE likes this.
    11-12-2015 06:22 AM
    Did you ask anyone about it and show it to them?
    11-12-2015 06:44 AM
    Thanks for sharing your video. a potentially defective unit batch leading to a change of heart; there are first batches that expose certain problems that clearly must have been it.

For the record, both of my current iPads exhibit the same problem, and I don't personally think that this is a technical issue, rather a typical behaviour when too much physical pressure has been applied to the touch screen. I am almost positive that other iPad models that do not have 3D Touch have the same "issue".

Why did you not talk about this problem with someone at the Apple Store?

Cheers!
    Last edited by TheRadBear; 11-12-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Deleted the wrong post quote
    shief24 and Theicecreamman like this.
    11-12-2015 12:19 PM
    Thanks for sharing your video. a potentially defective unit batch leading to a change of heart; there are first batches that expose certain problems that clearly must have been it.

For the record, both of my current iPads exhibit the same problem, and I don't personally think that this is a technical issue, rather a typical behaviour when too much physical pressure has been applied to the touch screen. I am almost positive that other iPad models that do not have 3D Touch have the same "issue".

Cheers!
    You quoted the wrong person. That's the question I asked as well. I'd like to hear Apple's explanation.
    11-12-2015 12:40 PM
    You quoted the wrong person. That's the question I asked as well. I'd like to hear Apple's explanation.
    Yeah, my bad; it's because I changed the contents of my reply a few times; originally it was a follow-up to your post. Fixing right now.

UPDATE: fixed, thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers.
    Last edited by TheRadBear; 11-12-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: update to the post contents
    11-12-2015 12:43 PM
    You can make this happen on pretty much any LCD you apply pressure to.
    i did it right now to my Acer Flat screen computer monitor ...
    11-12-2015 01:11 PM
    iPad Air 2 will do that too with enough pressure.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    11-12-2015 01:21 PM

Cheers!
    There is nothing "wrong" with the screen but just an inherent effect of using LCD technology. You're always going to have the ripple effect if you touch the LCD screen ( not the glass or plastic that is covering the screen). With the iPad Air 2 if you pushed down hard enough you can see it as well with the iPhone 6 Plus. I bet with enough pressure on the iPhone 6S and 6S plus you will have the same thing.
    11-12-2015 02:16 PM
    You can make this happen on pretty much any LCD you apply pressure to.
    i did it right now to my Acer Flat screen computer monitor ...
    iPad Air 2 will do that too with enough pressure.
    There is nothing "wrong" with the screen but just an inherent effect of using LCD technology. You're always going to have the ripple effect if you touch the LCD screen ( not the glass or plastic that is covering the screen). With the iPad Air 2 if you pushed down hard enough you can see it as well with the iPhone 6 Plus. I bet with enough pressure on the iPhone 6S and 6S plus you will have the same thing.
    But...but...but....spots!
    11-12-2015 02:26 PM
    But...but...but....spots!
    Then the only way to solve this issue is to beg Apple to use OLED screens or go buy a Samsung device lol
    11-12-2015 02:28 PM
    Then the only way to solve this issue is to beg Apple to use OLED screens or go buy a Samsung device lol
    Sarcasm is lost on some people.

I guess I should have used the Sarcasm html tags
    11-12-2015 02:37 PM
    Sarcasm is lost on some people.

I guess I should have used the Sarcasm html tags
    I saw the sarcasm and responded in kind ...with Sarcasm ...
    11-12-2015 02:42 PM
    I saw the sarcasm and responded in kind ...with Sarcasm ...
    But you didn't use the [SARCASM] /[SARCASM] tags

I think we get each others point now

Now to go to the Apple Store and put the iPad Pro in the pocket of my skinny jeans to see if it will bend
    Closingracer and jpgti like this.
    11-12-2015 02:44 PM
    You are correct and I entirely agree, thus why I added the second paragraph to my post. I only stated those remarks as a "worst-case" scenario. I believe the symptoms presented in the video are perfectly normal for any LCD screen (and my own experience supports that).

Cheers!
    Last edited by TheRadBear; 11-12-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added a missing comment
    Closingracer likes this.
    11-12-2015 04:17 PM
    Just got my iPad Pro and it looks like I missed out on the dark spots feature.
    11-12-2015 06:41 PM
    Yes, but if you touch an iPad air and iPad pro with the same amount of pressure, you will see the difference, you need more pressure on the iPad air to get the spots .. btw I didn't get any spots on my iPhone 6s plus even with too much pressure
    11-12-2015 07:12 PM
    Yes, but if you touch an iPad air and iPad pro with the same amount of pressure, you will see the difference, you need more pressure on the iPad air to get the spots .. btw I didn't get any spots on my iPhone 6s plus even with too much pressure
    Honestly, I think plain physics might apply here. See, with the phone in question the surface area of the screen is more rigid due to its more compact size as a molecular structure; in the iPad's case, its screen is larger, therefore allowing for more bending when applying (roughly) the same amount of pressure. I would call it a natural phenomenon, nothing to worry about.

With regards to your video, I would still have to go with my observations. On top of that, my 2yo slaps the screens of iPads from time time (frustration, or whatever) and I see them equally impacted - they both expose those dark areas. I can assure you, those are perfectly normal. Lastly, with different manufacturers (Foxconn and Sharp - I think) natural variance (slightly pronounced) is perfectly acceptable even by Apple standards. After all, there will never be two units that are literally the same.

Cheers!
    Last edited by TheRadBear; 11-12-2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Word choice
    arftech, Closingracer and JustZE like this.
    11-12-2015 08:55 PM
    If you think about it, 3D force touch wouldn't really be "practical" for lack of a better word on the iPad pro. Since the harder you press down with the pencil the darker and thicker the line you get. This could really be messed up with the 3D Touch feature.
    Closingracer likes this.
    11-12-2015 11:44 PM
    there is no difference between what you're doing on the Pro and the Air 2 Not the Air. The Air the glass ( if you can call it glass) isn't glued onto the digitizer like how the iPad Pro, iPhones since the iPhone 4 and the iPad Air 2 is. The Air 2 has this issue and yes the iPhone 6, 6s, 6Plus and 6S plus has this issue if you decide to put a lot of pressure on the phone. I have tried it myself on my own iPhone 6 Plus. Granted I have not tried it on the 6S models since I don't own one nor seen one yet in person other then 30 secs of looking at one in a Costco. As I said it is an issue that is with LCD screens itself..... You will get the ripple effect something like that if you decide to touch the screen itself or something like that where you put enough pressure on the glass or plastic to make it happen.
    11-13-2015 08:33 AM
    Honestly, I think plain physics might apply here. See, with the phone in question the surface area of the screen is more rigid due to its more compact size as a molecular structure; in the iPad's case, its screen is larger, therefore allowing for more bending when applying (roughly) the same amount of pressure. I would call it a natural phenomenon, nothing to worry about.

With regards to your video, I would still have to go with my observations. On top of that, my 2yo slaps the screens of iPads from time time (frustration, or whatever) and I see them equally impacted - they both expose those dark areas. I can assure you, those are perfectly normal. Lastly, with different manufacturers (Foxconn and Sharp - I think) natural variance (slightly pronounced) is perfectly acceptable even by Apple standards. After all, there will never be two units that are literally the same.

Cheers!
    +1

With the phones you have less surface area so it is harder to do but IF you push down hard enough the same thing will happen. As I said if you hate that then devices with LCD technology isn't for you
    11-13-2015 08:36 AM
    Is this post for real, or some kind of a joke or debate starter? My 12" MacBook will do the same thing if I apply enough pressure, my GFs iPad Air does it with enough pressure (30 seconds later) even my iPhone 6s does it (albeit not as pronounced) with hard enough pressure.

This is either a troll post or just someone who doesn't know their tech....
    11-13-2015 08:56 AM
30 12