Would you recommend an iPad Pro as an iPad 2 relacement for my child?

I

iMore Question

Would you recommend an iPad Pro as an iPad 2 relacement for my child

I have an iPad 2 right now and my child uses it for school and it's getting pretty worn out, would you all recommend the iPad Pro as the next tablet to get?

jmecca09

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Would you recommend an iPad Pro as an iPad 2 relacement for my child

It depends on what you use it for. If it will mainly be used by a child I would go with the new iPad mini 4 to save some money. The iPad Pro is mainly aimed at people using it for work purposes.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

I'd go with the new MacBook, MacBook Air, or similarly sized and configured Windows laptop. They are fully functional computers, and with the MacBook trackpads, the multitouch options in many ways to me make the experience similar to or better than a tablet. I think the cost for a MacBook, MacBook Air, or a Windows laptop may be in the same range as an iPad Pro.

I do recognize that depending upon your child's age, schools may be providing or recommending apps that are only available for iOS and the iPad. Similarly, from my own experience, I know that kids may prefer a tablet to a laptop or desktop. If your child is nearing middle or high school age, then in my view a fully functional MacBook, MacBook Air, or Windows laptop is a better investment that will allow them to use apps that are required for that level of schoolwork. With OS X or Windows, they will also have access to iTunes and all of the music and videos that may be available on the iPad.

Last edited:

learning2

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

What grade is the child in? What sort of apps are used for school?

The ipad pro might be good for a high school student to do research and create documents and projects on, but even then, check to see what form factor the teen prefers. My high school senior prefers her mini, primarily for portability reasons.

I would also look at the trade-off between an ipad and a laptop carefully. As imore points out, those options add up quickly. An LTE iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil will cost more than a MacBook | iMore

DJAJ

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site

Yes, I would like to recommend iPad Pro as iPad 2 for my children because it has particular features which associate with Apple Pencil. Children might can use it to learn about writing alphabet and numbers, and drawing.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

I'd lean towards a Mini 2 or Mini 4 for a child. Lighter, still works with office suites (including MS Office), and so on.

Pro could be overkill.

But overkill can be fun, especially if the child is artistic and draws or plays music.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

What grade is the child in? What sort of apps are used for school?

The ipad pro might be good for a high school student to do research and create documents and projects on, but even then, check to see what form factor the teen prefers. My high school senior prefers her mini, primarily for portability reasons.

I would also look at the trade-off between an ipad and a laptop carefully. As imore points out, those options add up quickly. An LTE iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil will cost more than a MacBook | iMore

If your child is below high school a Mini or 9.7 inch iPad will be fine. The only differences between the pro and the 9.7/mini is size and that the pro has a digitizer that allows to use a dedicated stylus similar to the surface ( Microsoft) and Note series( Samsung)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

I would say mini if anything. Pro for a child seems a little overkill to me , but to each their own.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Depends on your child's age, needs, value for school use. If they area high school age then they would benefit from a Pro, especially for science courses, if they are elementary or middle school I would say iPad Air 2.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I have an iPad 2 right now and my child uses it for school and it's getting pretty worn out, would you all recommend the iPad Pro as the next tablet to get?

Even though it's been over a month since this question was posted and AFAICS, there hasn't been a follow up to the replies, I'll still throw in my 2 cents.

I believe the large size and pencil will actually make this an (easily adaptable) and very functional learning device for kids (probably starting at the 5th grade level). For example, the papers kids work on today (do people still use the word ditto instead of worksheet? ) are letter sized (8.5 x 11), so to replicate that as a pdf or some other format on the Pro makes the transition from paper to screen very easy.

Time will tell, opinions will vary.

Blacklizted

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

If all of the following is true:

You live in Apple's ecosystem and already paid for Apps.
Your child won't probably use Final Cut Pro, and other heavy applications yet.
You plan to purchase the Apple Pencil.

If you answered yes to all three then definitely buy the iPad Pro. It will help your child be creative. If you're not planning to buy the Apple Pencil then just buy a smaller iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods