Is iPad Pro tough enough to run OS X?

tacsniper

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I was expecting the iPad Pro to be similar to the Surface Pro where it runs on full computer OS. The question I have is, does the iPad Pro have the hardware to run OS X and is it possible to install OS X (obviously not through Apple's way).

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPad Pro definitely has the horsepower to run OS X.

Question is just can someone hack it to do so. Be fun to see, if so.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I honestly can't logically think of a reason OS X wouldn't be great on this version of the iPad...the OS is setup to easily flow with the use of a simple and small track pad, so the addition of touch real estate would just make that more efficient and optimized. I actually really hope we see a nice hybrid of iOS and OS X soon.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I want to agree and say yes OS X will get to the iPad, but ever since the optical disk drive has disappeared from 🍎 and Mac things have changed. I wouldn't be surprised if apple starts from the ground up and builds an OS that can run on Mac and iPad. Think about it, what would you gain using OS X on iPad?

danielsjt

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Tim Cook recently expressed a desire to keep iOS and MacOS separate. Adding touch to MacOS would be a compromised experience, IMHO -- it was never designed for it.

Windows tablets are a compromised experience for this reason to me. Touch was tacked on, and to effectively use many apps, you end up having to add in the keyboard/trackpad. Then you really have a laptop.

I'd rather Apple focus on making a really good touch-first OS, and a really good keyboard/mouse-first OS, instead of trying to put the two in one thing. If iOS gains more pro-quality apps, and Apple plays ball with adding more advanced features (and they have been, to all accounts), what would be the benefit of combining them?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure the iPad Pro has the hardware to run it. I'm also sure that some clever hacker will figure out a way to make it work. Lastly, I'm sure that Apple will never officially support it.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Many non-techies want the devices as simple as possible and many busy people (like me) want as little troubleshooting as possible. iOS will evolve in functionality. The Mac will stay separate because it has great profit margins and a lot of people still want a keyboard and a mouse. The choice will be: do you want a mouse: Mac; do you want touch and no mouse: iPad. Think. I'm wrong a lot of the time.

Also, an arm processor wouldn't be able to run the current build of OS X or an OS X programs.

Last edited:

jason128

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Apple yet to come out with a Macbook or iMac that could operate with touchscreen mode. Really looking forward for a iPad Pro or Macbook Touch with OS X. Presentation would be much easier and designer don't have to carry an extra drawing pad anymore. XD

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be very interesting to see Apple offer something like a full blown laptop that could do this, but from Apples view (or IMO) each of Apples products does exactly what they designed them to do. The iPad Pro with the Pencil can be an artists dream while an MBP with a touch screen would not yield the same benefit.