Personally I'd love for Apple to show us some love and develop a hybrid OS
    Same here, Ultimately, I'd prefer OS X, but understandably, a hybrid system would be better.

Just look at the missteps MS did within Windows 8, trying to make one OS perfect for both tablets and desktops. It was ok on tablets but not so much on desktops.
    04-11-2016 11:25 AM
    Whoa.... Where did THAT come from? Nowhere in this thread or in the TidBits article was THAT mentioned. Apple supports it's hardware almost to a ridiculous degree. I have a 2008 MacBook Pro that still runs great. Granted, I cannot run the most recent OS, but Snow Leopard still does everything I want it to, and Apple still releases Security updates for it. Show me an 8 year old Windoze system.. it would be running XP which received NO support from MS.
    In my house there are currently 3 Macs, and 5 i-"devices" ranging from 6 months to 11 years old that are all still functional.

I think your iPad Pro is safe....
    From this reply...

"I'd say that an iPad running OS X is highly unlikely. I'd personally love to see it. I see lots of positives in using my Surface Pro, and I think an iPad capable of running OS X will exceed those benefits. Yet, I think that will so muddy Apple's product mix and cause more issues then it solves, I'd say no."
    04-11-2016 09:28 PM
    From this reply...

"I'd say that an iPad running OS X is highly unlikely. I'd personally love to see it. I see lots of positives in using my Surface Pro, and I think an iPad capable of running OS X will exceed those benefits. Yet, I think that will so muddy Apple's product mix and cause more issues then it solves, I'd say no."
    OS X is the operating system used on Macs.
    iOS 10 is a not yet released mobile operating system to be used on iPhones, iPads, and iPods.
    They're not the same thing. I bet my 401k that the iPad Pro will support iOS 10 when it's released.
    04-11-2016 09:31 PM
    Ok. Only owned IBM computers.
    04-11-2016 09:40 PM
    OS X is the operating system used on Macs.
    iOS 10 is a not yet released mobile operating system to be used on iPhones, iPads, and iPods.
    I saw somewhere a rumor that Apple may drop the X identifier from Mac OS. I wonder if that will happen this year because iOS 10 is coming out and there may be some confusion with both operating systems being 10 - just a random thought that popped into my head as I saw your post.
    04-12-2016 05:51 AM
    I saw somewhere a rumor that Apple may drop the X identifier from Mac OS. I wonder if that will happen this year because iOS 10 is coming out and there may be some confusion with both operating systems being 10 - just a random thought that popped into my head as I saw your post.
    I've heard that as well but I'm unsure of the timing. Your argument makes sense and I think it makes sense from a marketing standpoint. They've been using the OS X name for a loooooooong time.
    04-12-2016 05:55 AM
    Might be OSX on the next update of iPad Pro? It would be great to run both iOS and OSX
    07-31-2016 11:18 PM
    I was expecting the iPad Pro to be similar to the Surface Pro where it runs on full computer OS. The question I have is, does the iPad Pro have the hardware to run OS X and is it possible to install OS X (obviously not through Apple's way).
    I'm going to sway towards the no answer. Simply because when i boot up my Macbook Pro (Non-Retina) with nothing running its already using 4GB of RAM. This would mean, the iPad is already suffering. Apple would also need to provide an OS like Windows 8.1 which allows for Touch screen.

At the moment (and i could be wrong) Apple doesn't seem interested in providing touch screen laptops or running OSx ahem, MacOS on tablets.
    08-01-2016 02:55 AM
    I think homebrew has proven one thing. Nothing is impossible. Someone could compile OS X for Arm and suss out all the details for install.

Another thing that homebrew shows is that many things are impractical.
    08-25-2016 10:47 AM
    I don't think so
    08-28-2016 10:00 AM
    If someone succeeds in making their iPad Pro a Hackintosh, that'll be hilarious.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    Yup it would be funny. Someone has succeeded now though with something called mavericks.
    05-30-2017 04:18 PM
    Remember the commercials about iPad Pro before the latest 9.7 iPad (not Pro) came out. iPad has ten hours of battery life, and iPad gets no PC viruses since it runs iOS, a lightweight OS. Even if you could run MacOS, you couldn’t put in external hard drives in the same way, since you could only use lightning-enabled options, so the 32 gig iPad internal memory option is definitely out. I wonder, would that be the first Apple device to run macOS on an ARM based processor and not Intel? I would be interested to see how that would run, but still, iOS is better for battery and security on iPad Pro.
    06-03-2017 10:03 PM
    If it ever did run MacOS, would it still be able to use Apple Pencil?
    06-04-2017 05:20 AM
    If it ever did run MacOS, would it still be able to use Apple Pencil?
    I can't see Apple taking Apple Pencil functionality away, but I also can't see them integrating macOS onto iPad anytime soon. Apple seems dead set on keeping a touch interface out of macOS. Could things change? Sure. I just don't see it happening at this point with iOS and macOS in their current iterations.
    06-04-2017 05:24 AM
    Turns out somebody's already figured out how to do it on an iPad air and Apples is already working on it. See this link https://tidbits.com/article/14617 its pretty cool!!!
    08-20-2017 12:12 AM
    Turns out somebody's already figured out how to do it on an iPad air and Apples is already working on it. See this link https://tidbits.com/article/14617 its pretty cool!!!
    Keep in mind that the article is from 2014 so there’s no guarantee that what is essentially a hack will work with later versions of iOS or OSX/macOS. I also don’t recommend this for anyone who isn’t an experienced user.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-20-2017 05:55 AM
    I like how the article said that the drawback would be processing power, and that they would need to get the A-series chips with more power before the jump would be viable. And now today, the fanless and power efficient A10X Fusion is rivaling Intel i7 chips...
    08-20-2017 05:10 PM
    I like how the article said that the drawback would be processing power, and that they would need to get the A-series chips with more power before the jump would be viable. And now today, the fanless and power efficient A10X Fusion is rivaling Intel i7 chips...
    Crazy what a few years will do. Even my ancient 1st gen 12.9” iPad Pro is a beast.
    08-21-2017 08:17 AM
    Crazy what a few years will do. Even my ancient 1st gen 12.9” iPad Pro is a beast.
    2015 iPad? That’s like a hundred in phone years...
    08-23-2017 11:31 AM
    2015 iPad? That’s like a hundred in phone years...
    I know right? Before you know it it’ll be two years old.
    08-23-2017 01:50 PM
    Well... I hope someone tries it. It sounds like it would be awesome. I noticed someone even got a mouse to work in the corner (I think that is what it said, I read it last week). I was just courious about the idea. Obviously Microsoft copied Apple, but the idea of having a computer and pad in one, really is a way to to go. There are programes I cannot run on my ipad that will work on a full computer. I get they are not the same, but why spend so much money twice.

Anyways, if this article is that old, and apple is already experimenting with this on an iPad air 2, who is to say they are not still experimenting with the idea.

they once said they would never make a big phone, and now they have one of the biggest (not the biggest). Altough, the ipad pro 12.9 is one of the biggest pads (not the biggiest of course).

anyways.
    08-30-2017 11:48 AM
    Well... I hope someone tries it. It sounds like it would be awesome. I noticed someone even got a mouse to work in the corner (I think that is what it said, I read it last week). I was just courious about the idea. Obviously Microsoft copied Apple, but the idea of having a computer and pad in one, really is a way to to go. There are programes I cannot run on my ipad that will work on a full computer. I get they are not the same, but why spend so much money twice.

Anyways, if this article is that old, and apple is already experimenting with this on an iPad air 2, who is to say they are not still experimenting with the idea.

they once said they would never make a big phone, and now they have one of the biggest (not the biggest). Altough, the ipad pro 12.9 is one of the biggest pads (not the biggiest of course).

anyways.
    Very true. I’ve invested a lot of money having both an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro. A way to integrate both operating systems would be awesome, but I don’t see Apple wanting to cannibalize their own sales by officially allowing it, at least not at the moment. Eventually I can see iOS and macOS being one single OS.

My original response was simply “proceed with caution.” I wasn’t arguing that it isn’t an interesting concept or that it shouldn’t be attempted, only that the article is dated and you should know what you’re doing and be okay with the remote possibility of bricking your device.
    08-30-2017 12:35 PM
    I don't think it will cannibalize their market. I guess I could be wrong. It is not everyone that would do it. Any honestly, it would sell a lot of devices (I definely dont seem them going backwarks). Keep inmind, eventually these get so powerful, we are always writing blogs about "why I should upgrade" again. Most people are very slow to change or upgrade. I do see your point though.
    08-30-2017 06:42 PM
    Very true. I’ve invested a lot of money having both an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro. A way to integrate both operating systems would be awesome, but I don’t see Apple wanting to cannibalize their own sales by officially allowing it, at least not at the moment. Eventually I can see iOS and macOS being one single OS.
    I don't think I see iOS on iPhone and iPod going this route, converging with macOS. But with iPad, we are already seeing Mac-like features exclusively on iPad. If Apple were to initiate a software convergence, it would be with specifically the iPad version of iOS. And I think the convergence is already happening. This is just a guess, but I think this would happen not on the iOS on our phones but on an evolved version for future iPads. For that to be true, then the Mac-like dock and Drag & Drop won't be the only things that the iPad will be getting as iPad-only software enhancements. In the next iterations of iOS, the iOS for iPad will separate more and more from iOS on the phone until it has evolved into its own thing. And each Mac-like feature will make it one step closer until one day we will realize that the convergence happened over years, starting from iOS 11 (technically before that to be honest).

Half vampire... half lycan... but stronger than both! — Singe
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    08-30-2017 08:52 PM
    I don't think I see iOS on iPhone and iPod going this route, converging with macOS. But with iPad, we are already seeing Mac-like features exclusively on iPad. If Apple were to initiate a software convergence, it would be with specifically the iPad version of iOS. And I think the convergence is already happening. This is just a guess, but I think this would happen not on the iOS on our phones but on an evolved version for future iPads. For that to be true, then the Mac-like dock and Drag & Drop won't be the only things that the iPad will be getting as iPad-only software enhancements. In the next iterations of iOS, the iOS for iPad will separate more and more from iOS on the phone until it has evolved into its own thing. And each Mac-like feature will make it one step closer until one day we will realize that the convergence happened over years, starting from iOS 11 (technically before that to be honest).

Half vampire... half lycan... but stronger than both! — Singe
    Totally agree. Well said, my friend!
    08-30-2017 09:08 PM
52 123