iPad Pro: Priced too high?

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Just your opinion... reality will prove in the end if your opinion is spot-on or daft.

IMO means "in my opinion". He didn't try to pass it off any other way.

I agree. I realize this needs to be priced a bit higher than the Air, but it should have at least started with 64GB at that price.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I feel the price tag is very symptomatic of Apple i.e., approx. starting with 25% more than what competitors charge with high-end model around 15% (ballpark) relative to upped Surface 3 Pro.

Although we would all love to have cheaper gadgets, the pricing is adequate; I think this holds true especially when you compare it to, say, the 128G 6s Plus.

Cheers!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I feel the price tag is very symptomatic of Apple i.e., approx. starting with 25% more than what competitors charge with high-end model around 15% (ballpark) relative to upped Surface 3 Pro.

Although we would all love to have cheaper gadgets, the pricing is adequate; I think this holds true especially when you compare it to, say, the 128G 6s Plus.

Cheers!

Both "symptomatic" and adequate?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Only thing that gets me is why can't they just include that darn pencil?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

Nah. I've got no use for it. It would end up in the kitchen drawer along with the Quasimodo.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6 while I wait for my NEW AWESOME GORGEOUS SEXY 128GB iPhone 6s Plus in Rose Gold

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Nah. I've got no use for it. It would end up in the kitchen drawer along with the Quasimodo.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6 while I wait for my NEW AWESOME GORGEOUS SEXY 128GB iPhone 6s Plus in Rose Gold

LOL You've still got that block? Haha.

Yeah, I don't even use the stylus on my Note 3 honestly. I just would of thought they'd include the pencil in the same way the Note series does. Oh well, it's true not everyone would make use of it. Better to sell separately.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Priced way to high imo.

LOL You've still got that block? Haha.

Yeah, I don't even use the stylus on my Note 3 honestly. I just would of thought they'd include the pencil in the same way the Note series does. Oh well, it's true not everyone would make use of it. Better to sell separately.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

Ha! Yah I've still got it. I take it out when I read the lunatics make some outrageous statement about the preeminence of the thing. It's hilarious how demented they are.

I use my stylus on the Note 4 but not as much as Ann did. That's why I wouldn't be interested in the pencil. I bought the Note for the device itself but not so much for the stylus.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Both "symptomatic" and adequate?

Yeah, not too brilliant wording, I agree, LOL.

That being said, in the absolute terms it is symptomatic as in undesirable effect on our wallets :) However, having understood why/how they do that, I personally find the pricing adequate, especially given the specs and the screen.

Cheers.

Last edited:

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Major props to you for still being able to visit Crackberry, that place is a cesspool.

I have been using the stylus on my Note 5 a lot more than I thought I would and it is really enjoyable/convenient to be able to take notes during group meetings along with reminders when the screen is off. More so than I thought I would. Screen capturing, writing notes on them and sending them out has been great and I would have loved to see Apple do something like the S-Pen and included an air command-like feature(Maybe Gen 2, right?).

As for the software, I do agree that Apple isn't great about developing their software and their latest office suite lost a lot of functionality with the recent overhaul. Maybe that is why they are bring Microsoft aboard and they recognize the weakness? It seems that Apple has always relied on 3rd parties to bring quality apps to iOS and I think with the new stylus, we'll see app development increase in this area

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Only thing that gets me is why can't they just include that darn pencil?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

If they included it I could very well ended up buying it.... My niece loves to use my iPad to draw and when I had the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and my note 4 would love to use the pen....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJAJ

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
All Apple devices are over priced. However, its product design, quality and advanced manufacturing technology that lead its products to be succeed. iPad Pro have its competitive advantages if comparing with iPad Air 2, so the price is acceptable.

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Really I thought the iPad Pro would be more than it is. I was expecting things to start at $999.00, so @ $799.00 I find it priced well ...
I guess Apple felt bad after the gouging they gave us on the Apple Watch and decided to cut us a break ... ;)

You can't really add in the 100$ pencil if you're comparing it to the MacBook. If you're going to add the pencil, you're going to need to add something to hook up to the MacBook that is just as good of an art tablet. And those things are expensive if you want good ones.

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone 6s Plus is priced as the market will bear for a phablet. Its pricing structure at entry level, which is where the iPhone 6s Plus and the iPad Pro bear a similarity, is roughly comparable to the Note 5, so it's within market range. If it weren't, it wouldn't sell. And sell, Apple products do.

Here is the thing, both these Apple products will receive Apple support and OS updates. You know, iOS updates. They won't need to go to....say....Android....to save their devices. So that's worth the money, as far as I'm concerned. The OS is viable, and I'm pretty certain that I'll be able to get the next one next year. In other words, it's not a dead end like other OSs. It's not like the Quasimodo and the Q10 I've got, sitting in a drawer and gathering dust; native app support is dead because the CEO told devs to just build for another platform, and the company is placing the majority of its attention into another OS from another company.

Apple support of iOS is worth the money. Customer service is worth the money. I can walk into an Apple store and resolve any issue I may have. Or call them directly without having to jump though hoops with third party companies outside the country that don't give a damn about the customer. And if I crack a screen or the screen lifts, it's taken care of. That's worth the money.

And the apps????? Oh lordy. Any app I want, I've got. I don't have to hack my phone to get them. And developers are developing for my phone, not some other company's phone that I'm pooching and putting into my device and hope to the high Heavens that it will work.

Let's talk about dependability. I was on a commuter train when my BlackBerry decided to die. It was a 9900 and yup, those bricked themselves with no warning. What saved me? My iPhone 4s. I've had not one single iPhone die on me. So I'll gladly pay 978 or thereabouts for an iPhone 6s Plus that I know will be supported, maintained, warrantied, run native apps from developers who build for the device, be there for me on the middle of a commute home, not have screens lifting (my ex's Quasimodo had his screen lift by the way, mine hasn't because it's in my kitchen drawer under the kneading roll because it's useless to me), and with an OS that I know will be there next year and not be EOL in favour of another platform in a Hail Mary attempt at keeping the company alive.

So......long story short......(too late)....I don't feel that the price on the iPhone 6s Plus nor the iPhone 6 nor the iPad Air nor the iPad Pro are overpriced. Their price is what the market will bear. Had they been on a dying platform, then a 500 price tag is too much. Which is, coincidentally, what the Quasimodo is going for. It's 500 bucks for a device that is, possibly, EOL, given the dearth of leaks and the noise coming from the CEO.

You've clearly had a bad experience with BlackBerry and an axe to grind with RIM for that, but they were not the duds you claim. I had 3 9900s, after losing 2. My partner had 2 (one was stolen) and numerous friends and colleagues used them too. I never once heard of them bricking. It was an excellent communication device - as was the Q10 - in fact, after my iPhone 5 died on me whilst out, my trusty BlackBerry saved me. They didn't receive popular app support, but they functioned well for their use case. It just didn't meet your requirements. I stand by the Q10 and BB10 being excellent and I revert to mine often. iMessage and FaceTime really are the only reasons I have an iPhone.

I digress. The iPad pro is priced high but if it truly can replace a laptop, which I'm not so sure it really can at this point, then it's worth it's price. I find my iPad useful for word and one note, but a laptop it is not.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You've clearly had a bad experience with BlackBerry and an axe to grind with RIM for that, but they were not the duds you claim. I had 3 9900s, after losing 2. My partner had 2 (one was stolen) and numerous friends and colleagues used them too. I never once heard of them bricking.

I don't "claim" that the BlackBerry 9900 had a bricking problem. BlackBerry *acknowleged* that it existed.

RIM confirms BlackBerry Bold 9900 / 9930 bricking problems, working on a fix | The Verge

It was an excellent communication device - as was the Q10 - in fact, after my iPhone 5 died on me whilst out, my trusty BlackBerry saved me. They didn't receive popular app support, but they functioned well for their use case.

A communication device that leaves you stranded on a train on the way home is most decidedly not an excellent communication device. A communication device that drops data and leaves you with nothing but a dumb phone as in the great BlackBerry outage is most decidedly *not* a great communication device.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/rim-lost-54-million-on-four-day-global-blackberry-outage/

It is a joke. And today, at $6.17 52 week low in the market, the joke is clearly evident.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/1330...inues-to-fall-following-earnings-release.html
Unfortunately, people lost real cash in that joke. Like I did, having bought back when I was a BlackBerry supporter, at 27 bucks a share. I stupidly bought and I have no one to blame but myself to blame. But that was in fact thousands I lost.

It just didn't meet your requirements. I stand by the Q10 and BB10 being excellent and I revert to mine often. iMessage and FaceTime really are the only reasons I have an iPhone.

I bought the Z10 on launch day. It rebooted. Constantly. Sitting on a table, it rebooted.
http://crackberry.com/crackberry-asks-have-you-experienced-randoom-reboots-your-blackberry-z10

I bought the Q10. It stuttered. Double type came in at around the six month mark.
http://crackberry.com/do-you-suffer-double-typing-issue-blackberry-q10

And as far as apps, no, I wasn't interested in pooching apps from Android developers and I wasn't willing to use patched up old versions of apps. The ones in the Amazon app store made my phone lag.

You did say one thing that I agree with. I do have an axe to grind with RIM. As I do with any company that sells me shoddy products that they don't support. The Playbook? I dumped that anvil. And bought an iPad. Which is *still* supported, three years out. How is BB10 working on the Playbook? Oh wait....

I digress. The iPad pro is priced high but if it truly can replace a laptop, which I'm not so sure it really can at this point, then it's worth it's price. I find my iPad useful for word and one note, but a laptop it is not.

The market will tell if it's priced too high. As the market did in fact tell that the Z10 was priced too high and had to be sold in a firesale. Ditto the Playbook. Ditto the Q10. Ditto the Z30. And I dare say, at 800,000 devices sold in an entire quarter, ditto for the entire line of BlackBerry products that John Chen and Thorsten Heins dumped on BlackBerry enthusiasts. One of which, by the way, was I. Until I finally dumped them as my primary device and picked up something that DOES work for me from a company that DOES support what I buy.

Last edited:

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't "claim" that the BlackBerry 9900 had a bricking problem. BlackBerry *acknowleged* that it existed.

RIM confirms BlackBerry Bold 9900 / 9930 bricking problems, working on a fix | The Verge

A communication device that leaves you stranded on a train on the way home is most decidedly not an excellent communication device. A communication device that drops data and leaves you with nothing but a dumb phone as in the great BlackBerry outage is most decidedly *not* a great communication device.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/rim-lost-54-million-on-four-day-global-blackberry-outage/

It is a joke. And today, at $6.17 52 week low in the market, the joke is clearly evident.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/1330...inues-to-fall-following-earnings-release.html
Unfortunately, people lost real cash in that joke. Like I did, having bought back when I was a BlackBerry supporter, at 27 bucks a share. I stupidly bought and I have no one to blame but myself to blame. But that was in fact thousands I lost.

I bought the Z10 on launch day. It rebooted. Constantly. Sitting on a table, it rebooted.
http://crackberry.com/crackberry-asks-have-you-experienced-randoom-reboots-your-blackberry-z10

I bought the Q10. It stuttered. Double type came in at around the six month mark.
http://crackberry.com/do-you-suffer-double-typing-issue-blackberry-q10

And as far as apps, no, I wasn't interested in pooching apps from Android developers and I wasn't willing to use patched up old versions of apps. The ones in the Amazon app store made my phone lag.

You did say one thing that I agree with. I do have an axe to grind with RIM. As I do with any company that sells me shoddy products that they don't support. The Playbook? I dumped that anvil. And bought an iPad. Which is *still* supported, three years out. How is BB10 working on the Playbook? Oh wait....

The market will tell if it's priced too high. As the market did in fact tell that the Z10 was priced too high and had to be sold in a firesale. Ditto the Playbook. Ditto the Q10. Ditto the Z30. And I dare say, at 800,000 devices sold in an entire quarter, ditto for the entire line of BlackBerry products that John Chen and Thorsten Heins dumped on BlackBerry enthusiasts. One of which, by the way, was I. Until I finally dumped them as my primary device and picked up something that DOES work for me from a company that DOES support what I buy.

So on your point, does that mean my iPhone is not a good device? It let me down and it was my BlackBerry that got me through the rest of the day.

If you're referring to the BIS outrage of a few years ago, shouldn't you also acknowledge that Apple too has its own outrages? Yes it was a pain in the arse. Yes it probably hurt their image, but was it actually any worse than dropouts by other providers/manufacturers/companies. No, not really.

My Q10 worked flawlessly for almost 2 years. BlackBerrys were the only phones I had that I didn't get itchy with after 6 months. They remain superior in my view to the iPhone in terms of productivity and communication. It's only because I want FaceTime and iMessage that I have an iPhone and not a BlackBerry now, which very possibly will change soon.

Now more recently it is building a device with android. That's a last ditch attempt, maybe. But does that mean it will be bad? Absolutely not. But in apple world, of course it does. It looks to be a promising device bridging the 'app gap' people complained about but keeping the physical keyboard many people still crave. I'm sure it's doomed to failure before anyone has actually seen it though. I think this is a really sad attitude: undying allegiance to a brand with complete disregard for other possibilities and deciding something will be DOA. Attitudes like that lead to superior devices and formats (not just phones) dying out and being 'superseded' by rivals. Apple I s a company that wants to profit from you. Not a religion.. Or wait..

Anyway, I remember my nan telling me something years ago that was very reminiscent of the lyrics of a song from years later: "don't argue with fools because people from a distance can't tell who is who". I won't try to argue that BlackBerry wasn't as bad as you and many others think. You're clearly fully into Apple. And good luck to you..

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Im getting an iPad pro, just haven't decided if I'm getting a black or gold variant.

To the op: I don't think it's overpriced.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

danielsjt

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
iPad Pro is priced appropriately compared to the rest of their model line. Will it be a niche device? Probably, but it could still be a very large niche. The Mac could be considered a niche device too -- certainly a smaller player in the overall market.

I'm also not sold on Apple hardware being overpriced anymore -- at least compared to equivalent premium machines. Yeah, manufacturers have many cheaper models, but they're also typically lesser specs, build quality, or have some other fundamental drawback. They raced to the bottom and make up the pathetically low margin with volume, and some are contemplating leaving the consumer PC market because of it.

Look at the Surface Book -- $1800-2700 for an ultrabook CPU and decent graphics. Dell Precision and many Latitudes, ThinkPad W-Series (and soon, P-Series). The tons of gaming or workstation laptops out there. And so on, and so forth. Quality and specs cost money, and Apple generally delivers both.

If you really compare spec to spec, the pricing will be fairly close. If you compare an iPad Pro to a $200 tablet, sure, it's going to feel overpriced, but that doesn't mean it is compared to other similar offerings. Last large tablet I had was a Samsung Note 12.2 with a massive screen, and I recall paying around $800 for that, and Android tablet app selection is/was lackluster.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 6S and 6S Plus differ by $100 for increased screen size of less than an inch, the iPad pro has a significantly larger display, battery, etc so the price increase from $829 to $1079 for a comparable 128GB WiFI- Cellular is reasonable. The unreasonable part though is the only way to get Wi-Fi + Cellular is if you get the 128GB version and the fact they don't make 64GB the minimum is also just short sighted or plain greedy since they are forcing people to get a larger capacity when they perhaps don't need it but find 32GB Wi-Fi too little for their needs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro