iPad Pro: Priced too high?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've used one and the latency is low. Latency on the newer note pro was low as well. The device needs more than lower pen latency to cover for the fact that the apps it runs are no match for what professionals are capable of running on a Surface Pro or even a normal Surface 3 tablet.

Dedicated drawing tablets can be had for much cheaper than this.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

You've apparently never tried to use the Surface Pro 3 in a professional manner...I actually own one. The latency issues are annoying, especially for precision line work, but I make it work when I'm forced to use the thing (thankfully when working from home, I have my Mac Pro and wacom combo).

Like I said before, I have no idea if this iPad Pro is a great drawing tool or a complete dud because I haven't used it...but if they are able to improve precision on the Apple Pencil vs. what the Surface Pro does, this thing will become a heavy hitter in the field.

None of these things are on the level to replace a good PC and wacom tablet, but I'm hoping this iPad Pro gets closer.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Priced way to high imo.

Doesn't matter how the latency is if you can't fun the apps you need. I've used the SP3 enough to know what the latency is like. You can go as deep into it as you'd like, though.

I just don't think a designer using Photoshop is going to drop a Surface Pro for an iPad Pro, considering that same tablet you use with you Mac Pro can be used with a Surface tablet.

Which is kind of my point. I understand an IPad as a supplementary device. I cannot see how it can replace Windows or OS X for Pro use. The reason why I mentioned the Surface specifically is because there is no comparable OS X hybrid device to compare the iPad Pro to within Apples ecosystem.

I edit audio and video. I also use Dartfish. Dartfish Express isn't a replacement for their Windows Software, and they don't make an OS X version. iMovie and GarageBand can't even compare to even the cheap consumer/prosumer Audio and Video Editors available for Desktop OSes.

My confusion stems form the fact that it's aimed at the Pro Market, but not even Apple found a reason to develop anything even close to a Pro App for it. The software available for it is all pretty much unsuitable for Pro Use, unless you want to deal with Adobe's 5,000 apps that they've plastered across every app store (why update one app, juts create a new one!) - and even that's stretching it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
How do you know? Have been using the Pro, already? I understand that spewing sour grapes over the price is a common way to cope with the disappointment of not being able to get/do/have something, but don't you think your sour grapes are turning to vinegar, now?

There are many reasons why people would choose an iPad pro over a surface 3: staying with the Apple ecosystem is one of them, customer service, product quality and performance are other reasons.

Personally I don't feel that the pro would be a suitable replacement for my Air 2 but I think that when the time comes, it will make a fantastic replacement for my MBA.

The price?
Well, first and foremost, Apple is a business, they sell their product for profit, what a novel concept.
Would you bash a Rolls Royce or a Lamborghini because you can't afford them?

I can easily afford this tablet. Don't get ahead of yourself. Why don't you try actually talking about the points addressed in the post you quoted instead of just crying and flooding villages with tears in response to it?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I never said anyone would or wouldn't replace their existing equipment with this thing...I've simply shown some excitement that Apple is entering the arena, because I personally prefer Apple's mobile OS to even the full blown Windows OS on this Surface tablet. Don't get me wrong, my SP3 is pretty cool...and when I first got it, some of the things it can do were absolutely awesome (still are)...it just doesn't quite get precision right, and when it comes to drawing things that require such (I do cartography so it's an absolute necessity), you find the annoyances become glaring. I have to adjust my production style when using it because of the latency between the pen and my hand...and the speed that I do the work.

I'm simply hopeful that Apple gets this right with the iPad Pro...from there, software is simple, just a matter of filling a need with more apps. If they get the precision part of this pencil down, the software will come, and it will come fast.

canuckvoip

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Use case notwithstanding, I'm surprised that there is only a $50 difference between a 6s+ and the iPad Pro. Seems odd to me. I mean right off the bat the iPad has double the storage and that is always a $100 premium on a iPhone. So if you think the iPad is overpriced, what about the phone?

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I actually think the Pro is priced fine next to the Air 2 (which I assume will still be sold) and the Mini 4.

What drives me nuts is that the pen is $100 and the keyboard is $170.....

Apple always charges top dollar for accessories but we all know that, right?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Use case notwithstanding, I'm surprised that there is only a $50 difference between a 6s+ and the iPad Pro. Seems odd to me. I mean right off the bat the iPad has double the storage and that is always a $100 premium on a iPhone. So if you think the iPad is overpriced, what about the phone?

The iPhone 6s Plus is priced as the market will bear for a phablet. Its pricing structure at entry level, which is where the iPhone 6s Plus and the iPad Pro bear a similarity, is roughly comparable to the Note 5, so it's within market range. If it weren't, it wouldn't sell. And sell, Apple products do.

Here is the thing, both these Apple products will receive Apple support and OS updates. You know, iOS updates. They won't need to go to....say....Android....to save their devices. So that's worth the money, as far as I'm concerned. The OS is viable, and I'm pretty certain that I'll be able to get the next one next year. In other words, it's not a dead end like other OSs. It's not like the Quasimodo and the Q10 I've got, sitting in a drawer and gathering dust; native app support is dead because the CEO told devs to just build for another platform, and the company is placing the majority of its attention into another OS from another company.

Apple support of iOS is worth the money. Customer service is worth the money. I can walk into an Apple store and resolve any issue I may have. Or call them directly without having to jump though hoops with third party companies outside the country that don't give a damn about the customer. And if I crack a screen or the screen lifts, it's taken care of. That's worth the money.

And the apps????? Oh lordy. Any app I want, I've got. I don't have to hack my phone to get them. And developers are developing for my phone, not some other company's phone that I'm pooching and putting into my device and hope to the high Heavens that it will work.

Let's talk about dependability. I was on a commuter train when my BlackBerry decided to die. It was a 9900 and yup, those bricked themselves with no warning. What saved me? My iPhone 4s. I've had not one single iPhone die on me. So I'll gladly pay 978 or thereabouts for an iPhone 6s Plus that I know will be supported, maintained, warrantied, run native apps from developers who build for the device, be there for me on the middle of a commute home, not have screens lifting (my ex's Quasimodo had his screen lift by the way, mine hasn't because it's in my kitchen drawer under the kneading roll because it's useless to me), and with an OS that I know will be there next year and not be EOL in favour of another platform in a Hail Mary attempt at keeping the company alive.

So......long story short......(too late)....I don't feel that the price on the iPhone 6s Plus nor the iPhone 6 nor the iPad Air nor the iPad Pro are overpriced. Their price is what the market will bear. Had they been on a dying platform, then a 500 price tag is too much. Which is, coincidentally, what the Quasimodo is going for. It's 500 bucks for a device that is, possibly, EOL, given the dearth of leaks and the noise coming from the CEO.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 6s Plus is priced as the market will bear for a phablet. Its pricing structure at entry level, which is where the iPhone 6s Plus and the iPad Pro bear a similarity, is roughly comparable to the Note 5, so it's within market range. If it weren't, it wouldn't sell. And sell, Apple products do.

Here is the thing, both these Apple products will receive Apple support and OS updates. You know, iOS updates. They won't need to go to....say....Android....to save their devices. So that's worth the money, as far as I'm concerned. The OS is viable, and I'm pretty certain that I'll be able to get the next one next year. In other words, it's not a dead end like other OSs. It's not like the Quasimodo and the Q10 I've got, sitting in a drawer and gathering dust; native app support is dead because the CEO told devs to just build for another platform, and the company is placing the majority of its attention into another OS from another company.

Apple support of iOS is worth the money. Customer service is worth the money. I can walk into an Apple store and resolve any issue I may have. Or call them directly without having to jump though hoops with third party companies outside the country that don't give a damn about the customer. And if I crack a screen or the screen lifts, it's taken care of. That's worth the money.

And the apps????? Oh lordy. Any app I want, I've got. I don't have to hack my phone to get them. And developers are developing for my phone, not some other company's phone that I'm pooching and putting into my device and hope to the high Heavens that it will work.

Let's talk about dependability. I was on a commuter train when my BlackBerry decided to die. It was a 9900 and yup, those bricked themselves with no warning. What saved me? My iPhone 4s. I've had not one single iPhone die on me. So I'll gladly pay 978 or thereabouts for an iPhone 6s Plus that I know will be supported, maintained, warrantied, run native apps from developers who build for the device, be there for me on the middle of a commute home, not have screens lifting (my ex's Quasimodo had his screen lift by the way, mine hasn't because it's in my kitchen drawer under the kneading roll because it's useless to me), and with an OS that I know will be there next year and not be EOL in favour of another platform in a Hail Mary attempt at keeping the company alive.

So......long story short......(too late)....I don't feel that the price on the iPhone 6s Plus nor the iPhone 6 nor the iPad Air nor the iPad Pro are overpriced. Their price is what the market will bear. Had they been on a dying platform, then a 500 price tag is too much. Which is, coincidentally, what the Quasimodo is going for. It's 500 bucks for a device that is, possibly, EOL, given the dearth of leaks and the noise coming from the CEO.

PERFECT....NUFF said. THANK YOU Qbnkelt.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

OK, breath! LOL

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Some people will by the iPad Pro and some will not. Why, in either case, is irrelevant. The iPad Pro is there for those who want it. If you're not one those people, good for you, but don't knock the people who want it and buy it. It's their money and their choice. Period.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the budget for the device at the moment but I absolutely will buy one when I do. For me, this is the perfect device for reading scripts and annotating them on the go with a stylus. I always carried my iPad 2 in a bag so this will be no different. I would still gladly remove it from my bag and read on a train or buss, much like I do with my MacBook at the moment. this will be far easier to transport than my MacBook though. It may be a niche product but I fit right into that niche, so i'm super interested.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Now, Apple products tend to be more expensive, but not always. A consumer can oftentimes find a comparable product for less. That's a given. Having said that, it is still his or her choice to make and for the people who find that choice incomprehensible, please remember, what doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others. Besides, if you're one of the people who opt for a more economically priced device, are you being cheap or frugal? Are those who opt to get the more expensive iPad Pro, are they being blindly loyal or have they found a brand that caters best to their wants and needs? Just food for thought...;)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
What I got from the keynote is a world class tablet that's very Versatile and priced right so I don't see an issue

canuckvoip

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Lol!
I'm not trying to insinuate that you shouldn't be happy with your current or future purchase. I was merely drawing a comparison of two Apple products, how they are so similar in price, but how different they are in ability.
32gb vs 16?
Screen size?
4 speakers vs one?
And 4K video on a 16gb device?
Hmmm...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Priced way to high imo.

What I got from the keynote is a world class tablet that's very Versatile and priced right so I don't see an issue

There isn't one. I find it ironic that some of the individuals complaining about the price would not be caught dead with an Apple product (or so they vociferously say) so the only reason to be on this thread is to stir the pot and then show off to kindred Norwegian mythical creatures.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Lol!
I'm not trying to insinuate that you shouldn't be happy with your current or future purchase. I was merely drawing a comparison of two Apple products, how they are so similar in price, but how different they are in ability.
32gb vs 16?
Screen size?
4 speakers vs one?
And 4K video on a 16gb device?
Hmmm...

You're comparing a phablet with a crossover tablet.

Compare phablet to phablet.

And since you wouldn't be caught dead with any apple device, I fail to see where this is even a consideration for you.

Which begs the question....why the sudden interest in Apple products? It's as if I suddenly questioned the price of the BlackDroid Venice or Avenger or whatever it will be.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

blasted11

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd buy one at this price in a heartbeat if I had the money. Currently use an iPad Air. I recently bought my son a Surface Pro 3 for college.(he and I both love it) I have to say though that I would have preferred a "built in kickstand " on the iPad Pro if I was getting one. ...very convenient. I would choose an iPad Pro over a new Surface Pro 4 for myself though. I just love iOS and the whole ecosystem, though I think I would get Logitech's new iPad Pro keyboard instead of Apples. ( Apple Pencil should have been included imho).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This stuff cracks me up just like the people who complained about the Macbook that came out earlier this year. Do people understand that companies like Apple make products for a huge spectrum of consumers, and that not every product will appeal to every person? I don't understand the bile that people spew at these new products just because they don't line up perfectly with their own expectations of a perfect device...it's hilarious really!

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
The surface series is rarely used by professional creative artists. There are ones out there that talk it up, but overall the latency issue makes it so you cant use the product in any serious manner. All that power wasted in my opinion. The iPad pro isn't mean't to replace your current equipment but rather compliment it. Why would apple risk a replacement for a $2-3k computer with a $1000 ipad? My issue is with the surface series is while it does a lot of stuff, it doesn't do anything exceptionally well. I don't need a mediocre experience in one device, I would rather have two good experiences in my iPad and computer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox