iPad Pro: Priced too high?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
It is too high for me to afford but it doesn't make me think it's priced too high. The lowest priced iPad is a great value. If I didn't already have it I would certainly get one.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I actually think the Pro is priced fine next to the Air 2 (which I assume will still be sold) and the Mini 4.

What drives me nuts is that the pen is $100 and the keyboard is $170.....

$399 for the mini 4 and $499 for now the year old Air 2 and then $799 for the pro? No thanks . That's $300 more then the Air 2. Plus with the other fact apps won't be available for the pro for at least. 3-5 months at least in mass because we will need to wait for developers to upgrade their apps ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple prices things right at the "I love that device but how can I possibly pay $X for it?" point.

They know they've got (some of) us.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I think it's fair. The surface pro starts around that price and it looks like the stylus works even better. Definitely a sexy device

from my smexy Note 5

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
$799 for a base model I don't see this much more then a niche device. At that price I don't see the general public buying it unless they have money to burn or is an Apple fanatic/ just prefer the Apple ecosystem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a play toy for the rich.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Priced way to high imo.

You don't need 8GB of ram to Web browse, basic productivity like word and you don't need a SSD. Even then it's fairly cheap to upgrade ram and the Hard drive for around $800 which is still cheaper then the iPad Pro plus keyboard.

My Acer 21.5 inch touchscreen has 4gb of memory and a 500gb hard drive. Price I paid was 300.00. Came with Windows 8.1. Recently updated to Windows 10. Purchased computer brand new.

This computer does everything it needs to do. One thing I am temporarily using the computer is a TV. Has a HDMI in port. My actual TV needs a bulb. Not a biggie.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I can understand the price of the iPad Pro. And I'm still on the fence about getting one. I did want to buy a new iPad this year. But I'm not sure. If it were the iPad Air 3 I would have gotten it for sure. As $699 would have afforded me the 128 GB model. But I will have to see this thing in person first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
$799 for a base model I don't see this much more then a niche device. At that price I don't see the general public buying it unless they have money to burn or is an Apple fanatic/ just prefer the Apple ecosystem.

Or someone who appreciates support and world class customer service as opposed to being left out to dry with lackadaisical maintenance schedules and OS "upgrades" that render devices fairly unusable.

Fanaticism for quality products with impeccable support? Yup. I guess I'm a fanatic for those.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Based on spec for a laptop. I would say they are fair.

Considering you can get a Surface Pro 3, that actually runs Pro Apps, with an i5 CPU and 64GB Storage for the same price, and its accessories are cheaper - never mind the support for external storage devices, etc. - at the same base price point.

The price of this iPad is kind of ridiculous.

They're talking about an iPad Pro, and raving about how you can edit videos in iMovie on it. FFS... They cannot be serious.

And is it just me or did the whole even seem a bit... lacking in enthusiasm?

I also found it hilarious when the Microsoft people were doing their demonstration and he said "I'm just going to use my finger for this," Lol. That <probably> ticked off a couple of people backstage.

I find the pen looks nice, but I'm wondering why Samsung seems to be the only OEM that can create a stylus that doesn't need a battery/recharges to keep working...

I don't see why anyone would buy this over a Surface Pro 3, if they're an actual Pro. It's just a better device in every way except "mobile app ecosystem"

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Just a play toy for the rich.

That's what they said for the iPad. Now it's ubiquitous in corporate, medical, education, government....it's replaced some laptops at my agency. I'd rather travel with this than with a laptop. Perfect blend of keeping my personal things, manage my life, and yes, entertainment on long flights.

This one will follow its predecessors. Even more so in those areas I mentioned.

Let's investigate use cases before using the usual "toy" hogwash, shall we?

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
When you are looking at the pricing of similar (and really only competition) in the market of tablet/laptop hybrids, the price is a steal.
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays/cintiq-companion-2#Specifications
The starting Wacom Cintiq companion running Windows is $1999.

Many of you have no use for the pen input. If you have no use for it, the product is not for you. For those who do, it is incredibly competitively priced.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Will this Win laptop let you edit three 4K streams at once.

There were a few things that the Adobe gentleman did and said they were iPad pro only. Like face recognition in Elements.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Everyone said that the iPad was overpriced when it was released. It is now one of the leading tablets out there. Apple is very good about under promising and over delivering. I expect that to be the case here. I do not however expect to be investing it the pro this time around anyway. It is just not in the budget, or needed.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why anyone would buy this over a Surface Pro 3, if they're an actual Pro. It's just a better device in every way except "mobile app ecosystem"

Latency when using the Surface Pro 3 as a drawing pad is annoying...if the iPad Pro remedies this, it will become a staple for people who value drawing tablets.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Latency when using the Surface Pro 3 as a drawing pad is annoying...if the iPad Pro remedies this, it will become a staple for people who value drawing tablets.

I've used one and the latency is low. Latency on the newer note pro was low as well. The device needs more than lower pen latency to cover for the fact that the apps it runs are no match for what professionals are capable of running on a Surface Pro or even a normal Surface 3 tablet.

Dedicated drawing tablets can be had for much cheaper than this.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Considering you can get a Surface Pro 3, that actually runs Pro Apps, with an i5 CPU and 64GB Storage for the same price, and its accessories are cheaper - never mind the support for external storage devices, etc. - at the same base price point.

The price of this iPad is kind of ridiculous.

They're talking about an iPad Pro, and raving about how you can edit videos in iMovie on it. FFS... They cannot be serious.

And is it just me or did the whole even seem a bit... lacking in enthusiasm?

I also found it hilarious when the Microsoft people were doing their demonstration and he said "I'm just going to use my finger for this," Lol. That <probably> ticked off a couple of people backstage.

I find the pen looks nice, but I'm wondering why Samsung seems to be the only OEM that can create a stylus that doesn't need a battery/recharges to keep working...

How do you know? Have been using the Pro, already? I understand that spewing sour grapes over the price is a common way to cope with the disappointment of not being able to get/do/have something, but don't you think your sour grapes are turning to vinegar, now?

There are many reasons why people would choose an iPad pro over a surface 3: staying with the Apple ecosystem is one of them, customer service, product quality and performance are other reasons.

Personally I don't feel that the pro would be a suitable replacement for my Air 2 but I think that when the time comes, it will make a fantastic replacement for my MBA.

The price?
Well, first and foremost, Apple is a business, they sell their product for profit, what a novel concept.
Would you bash a Rolls Royce or a Lamborghini because you can't afford them?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods