Who would a 13-inch iPad be built for?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Wondering who the 13-inch iPad might appeal to most? It's a little too big for me in regard to portability, but imagine the creative possibilities? Business professionals looking for bigger displays for presentations and work? Creative professionals that desire that larger display? Lots of possibilities here, who do you think Apple would be targeting with a 13-inch tablet?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Forget the 13-inch iPad... make it a phone. Then maybe those "the iPhone isn't big enough" whiners will finally STFU. :D

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The first thing that comes to mind for me is remotely controlling computers. I tried it a few times on my iPads in the past and even with Retina resolutions the screens were still too small requiring me to pan around. The panning just made the whole process tedious and not productive at all. Sure I could do a few little things and doing a few things over nothing is better. However with a bigger screen I would be able to control things easier because I could probably finally see all of the desktop. Currently I use my MBP to control my Windows computer at work and that way I can skip running both Windows and Mac OS on my laptop. So being able to take my iPad Pro with me around the office and the ability to remotely do things while I'm working on another computer would be great.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
It would be great for people using it for art.
Or architects looking at blueprints.

As a studying architect... Yes please. It would need some more support though so that we can view 3d models as well! I don't think we wi be able to get editing right on an iPad though. Even at 13" the amount of tools required and precision makes it hard. But blueprint reading for sure! We could literally turn layers on and off and manipulate in 3d to have the ultimate digital blueprints!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

PompiPompi

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Yea, for me it makes sense to mostly be used as "Semi portable".
You can take it with you to places but when you work on it you are more likely to put it on a desk and you won't hold it in your hands while working.
So art, architecture, video editing or even business wise it can be used instead of a laptop to show power point presentations.

I always wonder about the game related applications of mobile devices, but I don't think this device is suitable for gaming ergonomically wise.
Also it kind of miss the point to use it stationary for gaming when you can simply use your desktop or laptop.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I really hope Apple will also release a "regular" sized tablet:
I had the Samsung Note Pro 12.2 and it was just too big.
There are articles floating around this morning that Apple will be releasing a Pro 12.9, there's no way I would ever use something that big.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree, a 13" iPad would be to big for me, but I can see where some business and schools might benefit with a larger iPad. I always remember what the late great founder of Apple said, "People don't know what they want until you show it to them".

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If I had the cash, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I could use it to remote access my home computer back in the UK on a larger screen. Before it died, I used my iPad 2 for reading scripts and a larger screen on a device that isn't much heavier but has a much better on the eye screen would be amazing. I also used my iPad for holding documents that needed to be edited and this will be much easier on the new iPad with an Apple Pencil too.

The iPad 2 revolutionized my life when I got it and honestly I think this new iPad Pro will do the same now that my needs and requirements from a tablet have changed since I got my iPad 2.

The iPhone revolutionized my life, then the iPad did, now I think this will too!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
From Twitter: @reneritchie: iPad Pro is for productivity mavens, artists, and people for whom PCs aren’t approachable enough.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
OK, the iPad Pro presentation changed my mind about a 12.9" iPad screen.....I want one....SMILE

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
For me it would depend on a few things. I would like to see what the typing experience is like on it. I type on the screen and have gotten really good at typing on my iPad Air 2. Gaming is also a concern. I wonder if the iPad Pro would be to big to wield for that. And portability. Everything else seems like it would be better due to the increased screen size. I would love to see one in person. However, I am bummed that there isn't going to be another iPad Air update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The iPad Pro makes sense for artists, designers etc who considered the other iPads to small or not powerful enough to compete with the Cintiq tablets. I feel like it will also be great for photography and video editing. Although it doesn't run OS X, I still feel like its a direct competitor with the surface pro

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
From Twitter: @reneritchie: iPad Pro is for productivity mavens, artists, and people for whom PCs aren?t approachable enough.

Productivity mavens, really that is a sad excuse for anyone to claim. Its for anyone who wants a laptop but doesn't want the overhead of a full blown laptop (oh wait that was Surface RT). IMO this device is for anyone who wants it, can afford it and ultimately wants to do any time of multi-media, graphics (still to be seen) needs to run multi-window apps (Samsung had this for years) so its not just for artsy mavens who don't like PC's.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The iPad Pro makes sense for artists, designers etc who considered the other iPads to small or not powerful enough to compete with the Cintiq tablets. I feel like it will also be great for photography and video editing. Although it doesn't run OS X, I still feel like its a direct competitor with the surface pro

The Surface Pro is a full blown computer running a full blown desktop OS which is a big difference. If the iPad Pro was running El Capitan then it would be on par with the Surface Pro 3, instead they are similar in some respects but not the same.

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The Surface Pro is a full blown computer running a full blown desktop OS which is a big difference. If the iPad Pro was running El Capitan then it would be on par with the Surface Pro 3, instead they are similar in some respects but not the same.

It may run full windows but its not the most optimal device to use it on. It's really not practical at all outside Microsoft Office. Most native apps don't support the surface pen nor do they properly support the touch screen. Thats where the iPad Pro will shine because every app will take advantage of what it has to offer, even if its on iOS rather that OS X. It makes a lot more sense in my opinion

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
It may run full windows but its not the most optimal device to use it on. It's really not practical at all outside Microsoft Office. Most native apps don't support the surface pen nor do they properly support the touch screen. Thats where the iPad Pro will shine because every app will take advantage of what it has to offer, even if its on iOS rather that OS X. It makes a lot more sense in my opinion

I'd say that the Surface Pro is the perfect hardware for Windows. Been using a 10-inch budget Wintab as my main machine due to a water accident, and intend to get an SP when possible based on my experience.

Having said that, I like the idea of this bigger iPad. I've been using my souped up iPad Mini 2 (with ZAGG keyboard portfolio) and have really liked the experience, and I think this will resonate with the right people.

That price though...

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd say that the Surface Pro is the perfect hardware for Windows. Been using a 10-inch budget Wintab as my main machine due to a water accident, and intend to get an SP when possible based on my experience.

Having said that, I like the idea of this bigger iPad. I've been using my souped up iPad Mini 2 (with ZAGG keyboard portfolio) and have really liked the experience, and I think this will resonate with the right people.

That price though...

The price is a little steep but the screen size and specs make up for it in my opinion. Its a beast of an iOS device to say the least. Can't wait to test it out in the Apple stores

swepulse

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know if the pen functions similarly to the Surface Pro 3 stylus?
Onenotes stylus support, whether I'm drawing shapes, mind-maps or simply writing is one of the things tempting me to get the upcoming SP4 (current Air 2/mid -15 Pro user).
There are pro's n con's with either OS, but I'd honestly prefer if the iPad Pro could do that since I've invested heavily with iPad apps, the transition to using a stylus wouldn't be big if it was a iOS device (would need to rebuy apps etc).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal