Has anyone tried charging their iPad Pro with a 65W Charger?

pjwk81

Aug 25, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this. Basically I alternate between the iPad Pro and a Thinkpad E580 in work. The laptop has a 65W USB-C charger and, while everything is telling me it’s fine as it’ll only draw what it needs, I haven’t been able to bring myself to risk it in the iPad. Would be really handy only having the one charger at the desk. Thanks.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: 65W Charger?

To be on the save side I would recommend using only the apple charger. Unless you talk to apple about this, I don’t think it’s a good idea because you might harm your iPad.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the 87W USB-C brick by Apple and use it for my iPad 3G 12.9 and it charges with no issue. I feel if the charger is MFi or of a quality brand then you should be ok, to be on the safe side I wouldn’t leave it charging overnight but I would monitor it and unplug once it gets to 100% to avoid overcharging

Last edited:

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have the 87W USB-C brick by Apple and use it for my iPad 3G 12.9 and it charges with no issue. I feel if the charger is MFi or of a quality brand then you should be ok, to be on the safe side I wouldn’t leave it charging overnight but I would monitor it and unplug once it gets to 100% to avoid overcharging

I asked Apple about that because I have a 2018 15”. They said it wouldn’t be a good idea. If you have to monitor it to make sure nothing goes wrong than I don’t think it’s a good idea. Hope you have AppleCare just in case.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I asked Apple about that because I have a 2018 15”. They said it wouldn’t be a good idea. If you have to monitor it to make sure nothing goes wrong than I don’t think it’s a good idea. Hope you have AppleCare just in case.

You have a 2018 15” what? iPad?

danwanna

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Funny, I've never actually charged my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 or wife's 11 with the chargers that came in the box. I've used my Lenovo 65W, Apple 61W, Anker PowerPort Atom 60W and current favorite, RavPower PD 61W. I've probably used a few others as well.

As long as you are using a reputable brand, my understanding is the iPad or iPhone communicates with the charger and controls the output to maximize the charge and stay safe.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner