Is iOS too weak of an OS to be used on an iPad Pro in 2018?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As stated in the thread title, is iOS too weak of an OS to be used on an iPad Pro in 2018?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’d like to see a pro version similar to what Microsoft does with their surface.

I've stated on several occasions that the iPad Pro should have either its own operating system or be able to run macOS. There's nothing "pro" about the iPad Pro, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the iPad Pro is a powerful and fast device, but on the surface, the only thing that distinguishes it from a non-pro model is the fact that it can work with the Pencil.

mbar9607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I’ve thought form the start that the “Pro” should run OSX to compete directly with the Microsoft Surface devices.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
iPad Pro is still a niche device that caters a niche audience.

When I look at it from an artist or writers, it is very powerful device with so many awesome apps and the Apple Pencil.

Also, with powerful apps to edit photos, it is a great tool for amateur/hobbyist photographers too. Reason I say amateur/hobbyist is because some photographers may have specific workflows that could be hard for them to bring it to the iPad Pro.

The trouble comes for folks who are say software engineers or power users who require desktop programs to which iPad Pro becomes a useless device and can only be used as a companion.

With respect to iOS, yes, iPad Pro could be the best productive tablet ever built if only if Apple can cater iOS for the iPad Pros!

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
iPad Pro is still a niche device that caters a niche audience.

When I look at it from an artist or writers, it is very powerful device with so many awesome apps and the Apple Pencil.

Also, with powerful apps to edit photos, it is a great tool for amateur/hobbyist photographers too. Reason I say amateur/hobbyist is because some photographers may have specific workflows that could be hard for them to bring it to the iPad Pro.

The trouble comes for folks who are say software engineers or power users who require desktop programs to which iPad Pro becomes a useless device and can only be used as a companion.

With respect to iOS, yes, iPad Pro could be the best productive tablet ever built if only if Apple can cater iOS for the iPad Pros!

Well said!

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Well said!

Talk is that iOS 13 might fix some of that problem. As stated before, if they don’t want to put some MacOS apps on the iPad and iOS is too weak for the pros, then there should be some kind of iPad OS that is only for iPads. This way each device has its own operating system.

Apple knows what they are doing. This could of been done long ago. Even when Jobs made the first iPad announcement. But it wasn’t and hasn’t been done. Maybe it’s coming or it’s not. If it’s not, are we going to stop buying iPad pros? NO WAY!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I guess it depends on what you are trying to do? Replace a Pro level laptop then yes, replace a casual user laptop then no.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
This thread reminds me of what I said in 2010 after a few hours with my new iPad. After setting it up and playing around with it I said “This is just a big iPhone”. I was expecting more, even then.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is an interesting question at this point. When I saw the price increase, I knew this was their move to replace Mac OS and not lose a lot of money in sales. I’m pretty sure iOS 13 will be big. I’m one who’s not looking forward to it since the iPad is my laptop replacement.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Let’s say that many of us fall into the power user category. With that being said, shouldn’t the “pro” model iPad also cater to professionals like us?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Let’s say that many of us fall into the power user category. With that being said, shouldn’t the “pro” model iPad also cater to professionals like us?
iPad Pro wants to be unique in the sense that it wants to do the things it can without getting all of the desktop overhead and cater for new generation of work tools be it in the creative space or productivity space. It's like a culture change and it's already doing a lot of that.

If access to storage devices and other things you are referring to as pro, I believe they will come. I have never been a external hard disk person as I store everything in the cloud and this particular factor hasn't been an issue for me personally.

That said, what "pro" features are you missing?

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
In terms of the capability and referencing the pencil the only thing I’ve always wished for on the Pro models is the native handwriting to text ability such as that found the galaxy note devices and the surface pros. I’ve used both the Note line (both tablet with the S Pen as well as the Microsoft Surface) and I’ve loved the ability to take notes on the go ANYWHERE and then instantly convert them to professionally typed up notes. I use my iPad Pro mostly notetaking. I speak to clients on the phone and ask tons of questions and write notes of the info I gather. I think that’s one of the biggest draws for me as a somewhat power user

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

I fall probably like many into the casual user category. I want the 12.9” for the screen. 256 is not enough for me so I’m going to 512. Wondering if the extra $20 a month with att next for 1TB and an extra 2gb of RAM is for me or not. I don’t know yet. I don’t want to buy the 512 and later wish I had gotten the 1TB one. This is what I’m trying to decide before I buy it.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think iOS is too weak, considering the powerful apps out there for artists, anyone in the graphics world, musicians, etc.

As much as Steve Jobs was the visionary behind the iPad, we need someone like that on the software development side driving innovative, highly functional, game changing apps that take full advantage of the OS and the hardware. You can't tell me the platform is that restrictive that it can't be done.

For starters, the productivity and business category app developers. The app store is cluttered with the same old limited crap. These lack any true functionality (usually trimmed down or limited versions of the true "desktop" version) and their design is just a cropped version of their traditional version.

As stated in the thread title, is iOS too weak of an OS to be used on an iPad Pro in 2018?

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
iPad “Pros” should be able to access network resources natively, ie no work around needed. The USB port shouldn’t be limited.

MS Office should not be limited.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I have a Surface Go after having used iPads (Pro) over the last couple of years.
I am very tempted by the new gen iPads, but would miss a couple of "pro" features that the Surface offers:
  • Track pad - or at least mouse support. I can't think of going back to a device without the option of using a pointing device (finger or pencil don't count as a replacement. Trackpad or mouse are much more convenient, when in "pro-mode" (ie with keyboard attached)).
  • Proper file management - I always hated the fact that this was not really possible on iOS.
  • Access to external devices like eg SSD drives - in particular now that USN-C has arrived, not understandable to not being implemented.
This is it that will probably keep ME away from going back to iOS. I'm not really a power user, but have to do some work related things on PPT or Excel etc. on the tablet - and would miss the "pro" features listed above, big time.

This is very unfortunate, as, sadly, on the other hand, Windows really really sucks as a tablet OS, and the Surface Go does have some performance issues that I do not appreciate.

I think that if Apple would at least introduce mouse support, this would swing some "pro-users" back to the iPad pro.
I personally could live with eg OneDrive as a kind of file management replacement, and this Rav Power hub seems to be a quite useful tool to integrate and manage external drives.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73