Apple Smart Keyboard Folio Case

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone get the keyboard case from Apple? What are your thoughts?

Does it offer protection on the back of the iPad?
Do the keys light up?
In a closed position how much does it add to thickness of iPad?

My patience is running thin on Logitech getting their ish together and releasing one soon so I’ve been thinking about just pulling the trigger on the Apple keyboard

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The keys don’t light up and the rest I can answer in a few days when my keyboard arrives. My rep was slow on the order so I didn’t have it on launch day.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
No generation of the Apple keyboard cases for the iPad was / are backlit. I have the Logitech Slim / Combo on my iPad Pro 10.5 and I really like it. But since it's not out, I got the Apple Keyboard / Folio. It's OK, but as others have said, it does not stay attached very well, and the keyboard itself is meh! A lot of meh for $200.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
No generation of the Apple keyboard cases for the iPad was / are backlit. I have the Logitech Slim / Combo on my iPad Pro 10.5 and I really like it. But since it's not out, I got the Apple Keyboard / Folio. It's OK, but as others have said, it does not stay attached very well, and the keyboard itself is meh! A lot of meh for $200.

Thanks for the heads up. I also have the Logitech keyboard for 1G 12.9”. Your review seals the deal for me. Guess I’ll keep waiting for Logitech to make this happen.

spizike23

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
A back lit keyboard would make no sense let alone be impossible with the smart connector. With the screen brightness moderately up it can be seen easily, let alone i might say this keyboard is almost as good as the magic keyboard on my iMac. The click of the keys is satisfying, not to the extent of the magic keyboard but it doesn’t feel cheap or plasticky like most iPad keyboard cases.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
A back lit keyboard would make no sense let alone be impossible with the smart connector. With the screen brightness moderately up it can be seen easily, let alone i might say this keyboard is almost as good as the magic keyboard on my iMac. The click of the keys is satisfying, not to the extent of the magic keyboard but it doesn’t feel cheap or plasticky like most iPad keyboard cases.

My 1G iPad Pro 12.9” has a Logitech Keyboard Case connects via the smart connector and has a backlit keyboard so it is possible, just an FYI. And as far the screen providing enough light for the keyboard, I prefer a backlit keyboard since I’m used to it and on a plan when it’s dark and I have my screen brightness on low so as to not disturb a sleeping neighbor that backlit keyboard comes through in the clutch

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Impossible? Been using the Logitech Slim Combo case with a backlit keyboard for my iPad Pro 10.5 and not only is it possible, it's great.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I got the Smart Keyboard folio and while I don't mind that its thinner, I do prefer to have the sides covered (minor gripe) but my real issue is in how you have to hold it with the keyboard folded backwards, it is awkward to hold. You can only hold it on the left backside so you don't press on the keys. Annoying but I can deal with it.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I think it is less awkward to hold than the original Folio Keyboard case. I am liking the this version of the case.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I got the Smart Keyboard folio and while I don't mind that its thinner, I do prefer to have the sides covered (minor gripe) but my real issue is in how you have to hold it with the keyboard folded backwards, it is awkward to hold. You can only hold it on the left backside so you don't press on the keys. Annoying but I can deal with it.

I don’t have the Smart Keyboard folio, just the smart folio. You could buy the smart folio case for $100 more and use that when your not using the keyboard.

Just an idea.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I’m returning the one I just bought. I like to keep my iPad in a case, and just bought a nice Pad & Quill leather case. With the new keyboard folio covering the entire back of the keyboard, the case won’t work. With any other protective case, the iPad likewise would have to be removed to affix the keyboard. That’s a non-starter for me. I’ll find a cheap BT keyboard to keep in my bag that will work with my case.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy just informed me that I have $65 in reward certificates that are about to expire in January. I figured for $135 the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio was worth it but it’s sold out at Best Buy smh

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
The Apple Smart Keyboard is $199. Unless your talking about a different one.

Oh! Now I understand. $135 cash plus the $65 in Best Buy rewards. I’d go for it.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy just informed me that I have $65 in reward certificates that are about to expire in January. I figured for $135 the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio was worth it but it’s sold out at Best Buy smh

They don’t even have it to order? How about you buy something worth 65 now and keep an eye on it till it gets back in stock. Best Buy has extended returns now for the holiday till the 31st of Jan I believe. That way you don’t lose your rewards.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
They don’t even have it to order? How about you buy something worth 65 now and keep an eye on it till it gets back in stock. Best Buy has extended returns now for the holiday till the 31st of Jan I believe. That way you don’t lose your rewards.

Yeah I’m going to wait till the day before it expires and buy something as a placeholder. Really hope it comes back in stock

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So after several weeks of the the Apple Keyboard Case being out of stock it’s back in stock today and I caved and bought it. There are several keyboard cases available on Amazon but none of them connect via the smart connector and I prefer not charging the keyboard to having backlit keys so I went with the Apple Smart Keyboard. Doesn’t look like Logitech will be releasing a Create case and that Brydge Keyboard Case connects via BT which means you’ll have to charge it separately. Oh well. Can’t have your cake and eat it too I guess

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
So after several weeks of the the Apple Keyboard Case being out of stock it’s back in stock today and I caved and bought it. There are several keyboard cases available on Amazon but none of them connect via the smart connector and I prefer not charging the keyboard to having backlit keys so I went with the Apple Smart Keyboard. Doesn’t look like Logitech will be releasing a Create case and that Brydge Keyboard Case connects via BT which means you’ll have to charge it separately. Oh well. Can’t have your cake and eat it too I guess

Bridge keyboard should be out in spring. Don’t know about backlit keys or separate charging. I don’t remember reading that in the article.

Whoever told you you can’t have your cake and eat it too probably lied. 🤪

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I received my Apple Keyboard Case yesterday (2 days earlier than anticipated) and after a day of using it I have to say that I’m impressed with how strong the magnets hold the case on and in the keyboard mode. It’s starting to grow on me. I’m still afraid that dropping it might be bad for the iPad itself since the corners and edges aren’t protected by the case. I’ll still put this into a sleeve for now. I also only paid $85 ($65 in rewards at Best Buy and a $50 Best Buy GC) for it so I think this is why I’m starting to like it. For the price it’s great.

Still going to hold out hope for backlit keys in the future

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW