Bending issues

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they’re over exaggerated. What the heck are people doing to their iPads to get them to bend? The problem is carelessness (or a need for attention on social media). If you’re putting your device in a situation where it can be forcefully bent you’re doing something wrong. It seems easier for some people to blame the manufacturer rather than take ownership for their stupidity.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
There’s a video on YouTube that they are comparing the 10.5” and the 11” iPad Pro’s. There doing breakage from different heights and I think their also doing the bending thing that your talking about. I watched about half of the video and I couldn’t-watch any more.

At first I laughed. After that I was wondering what’s the matter with the guy. I shut it off after that.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Unless you’re putting your iPad in a compromising situation you’ll be fine. Yes the new iPads will bend easily since the side microphone is directly across from the plastic portion of the body the new Apple Pencil snaps to. Unless you are trying to bend it, or putting it in a situation it can get bent in, it’s not a problem. It’s just a flaw in Apple’s hardware design, leaving two weak points in the center of the device directly across from each other.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I hope I won’t have any problems in the winter. That’s the reason I leave my 15” MacBook at home. It gets too cold outside and I can’t let the truck run all of the time. I didn’t see much of a problem with the 10.5” one last year. Hope there won’t be a problem with the new one. I’m going to have to look for some kind of pouch to keep it warm. I keep in a duffel bag, but I don’t know if it’s enough.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Over exaggerate? No. These are very thin with aluminum and have weak points in the middle as mentioned above. Sure these can bend but under normal circumstances they won’t.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Over exaggerate? No. These are very thin with aluminum and have weak points in the middle as mentioned above. Sure these can bend but under normal circumstances they won’t.

Exactly. If you treat your iPad like an iPad you’ll be fine. If you treat it like a piece of plywood you might be disappointed.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Sometimes I just don't get you guys. Nobody should be making excuses for a $1200 piece of equipment to be able to bend so damn easily. No, the issues are NOT over exaggerated. I certainly wouldn't buy one. The reviews weren't that great on it anyways.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I’m sorry that’s like being upset that the glass bowl you spent a lot of money on it broke when you dropped it. It’s not made to be dropped. I love my nice new thin iPad. I have it in a case. I’m not careful with it but I’m also not reckless with it.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
When Apple advertises the new iPad Pro in a commercial with a truck rolling over one and no damage occurring to it, to show its durability - then I’ll take umbrage with Apple if I buy one and it ends up bending with little to no force. Until then I think the ‘bending issue’ is being overblown or is overwrought...

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
When Apple advertises the new iPad Pro in a commercial with a truck rolling over one and no damage occurring to it, to show its durability - then I’ll take umbrage with Apple if I buy one and it ends up bending with little to no force. Until then I think the ‘bending issue’ is being overblown or is overwrought...

It bends with little to no force. JerryRigEverything demolished it in his bend test.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Mine is carried in my bag everyday. It goes to the office with my and out and about on business meetings as mine is cellular. So far no bending. I did purchased AC+ for like $5 or $6 a month. I don’t worry about it. Don’t sit on your iPad and you will be fine.

ilmagodiloz

Dec 4, 2018
Visit site
It's clearly weaker than previous models and of course we should use them carefully, but on MacRumors a guy just posted a photo of it bent after traveling with a backpack.

You can't tell me that's not an issue. It never happened with previous models.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
But does it also say what else was in the backpack? Like others have said “ Be careful and you’ll be fine”. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

I’m more concerned about freezing issues than I am with the bending ones.

Have fun with it. I’m sure Apple knows what they are doing.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what to think of it all to be honest. There are two issues out there. The bending which I am not concerned about, and the warping of the aluminum skin on the back, which is at least somewhat concerning to me. I've had my iPad Pro 11" in the Apple folio case since I took it out of the box, and the back of my iPad is not flat by any means. There are several ripples and imperfections in the aluminum. You have to look for them, and I wouldn't have noticed them at all if they hadn't been pointed out in other threads on the internet, but they are there all the way across the back.

Do I do anything about it I don't know. It's in a case all the time and it doesn't at all affect functionality. I have to really look to see it, but its also a $1200 device that should be perfect out of the box. It's so subtle that I can't even really get a picture of it to share. You have to hold it at a certain angle and have light running across it to notice the very subtle shadows that the ripples are causing. It's a frustrating issue to have.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Here are the best pictures I could get of it, linked so you can see full size. Like I said, really subtle, but its there and Im guessing is present on just about every new iPad Pro out there. On top and bottom of the Apple logo vertically. At first I thought they were a shadow or something, but they are present regardless of where I am in the house.

https://i.imgur.com/WxAVi7f.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/n3DKi0c.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox