Bending issues

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Here are the best pictures I could get of it, linked so you can see full size. Like I said, really subtle, but its there and Im guessing is present on just about every new iPad Pro out there. On top and bottom of the Apple logo vertically. At first I thought they were a shadow or something, but they are present regardless of where I am in the house.

https://i.imgur.com/WxAVi7f.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/n3DKi0c.jpg

Definitely noticeable in the first photo. It is a shame given the fact that, as you said, it’s a $1,200 device. It should be perfect.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Definitely noticeable in the first photo. It is a shame given the fact that, as you said, it’s a $1,200 device. It should be perfect.

Take it to Apple and show them. They have to do something. Starting to think if I should look at mine. I have the 12.9” 512gb with cellular.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
So I am starting to think this is "normal". I just checked all of the iPads in our house, an iPad mini 3, an iPad mini 4, and a 2018 iPad that we just bought as a Christmas present for one of our children. They all had some degree of waviness to the back panel when help up to the same angle of light. The two iPad minis had it in the same spot. I think the finish of the new iPad Pro makes this waviness stand out more, its more of a painted look whereas the older iPads had more of a "metal" look to them. My guess is I could exchange these things forever and I might find it on every single one they give me. It kinda sucks, given how expensive these things are, but I will probably just deal with it.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
So I am starting to think this is "normal". I just checked all of the iPads in our house, an iPad mini 3, an iPad mini 4, and a 2018 iPad that we just bought as a Christmas present for one of our children. They all had some degree of waviness to the back panel when help up to the same angle of light. The two iPad minis had it in the same spot. I think the finish of the new iPad Pro makes this waviness stand out more, its more of a painted look whereas the older iPads had more of a "metal" look to them. My guess is I could exchange these things forever and I might find it on every single one they give me. It kinda sucks, given how expensive these things are, but I will probably just deal with it.

What else can we do? It’s either Apple products or we go somewhere else. I don’t know where else to go because all my products sync together. I’m happy where I am.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
What can you do?
1. Use a good case. There are cases for less than $60 that would make it very difficult to bend.
2. What do you mean by a $1,200 device must be perfect out of the box? It works well. It is not impervious to any possible damage, but almost nothing is. My $31,000 plus car is easily damaged, if I am not careful. My computer monitor will break, if I knock it off the desk.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Got my 11” today, not bent that I can see wont be putting the ruler on it. The Apple folio case is excellent. Loving it so far best iPad yet and I have had them all.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
That’s crazy and I don’t understand how Apple can say that it’s normal. No manufacturer should ever release a product with visual defects and say its normal.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

They are grasping at straws. You can't tell me that they purposely shipped a product that was bent. They made a bad design decision, plain and simple. I know I defended Apple at the top of this thread but the more I've read this discussion and done some of my own reading the more I'm convinced this is a real problem. "Just put it in a case, you won't notice it" is NEVER an acceptable response for a brand new, $1,000+ device.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
What can you do?
1. Use a good case. There are cases for less than $60 that would make it very difficult to bend.
2. What do you mean by a $1,200 device must be perfect out of the box? It works well. It is not impervious to any possible damage, but almost nothing is. My $31,000 plus car is easily damaged, if I am not careful. My computer monitor will break, if I knock it off the desk.

Went out and bought the smart Folio case as soon as I got mine. Been in a case since than. Mine is about $1600 with the case added.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Went out and bought the smart Folio case as soon as I got mine. Been in a case since than. Mine is about $1600 with the case added.

Regardless check if it bent as Apple confirmed some iPad Pros will be bent by design- if so you don’t have to put up with it and probably return it for the better 10.5” iPad Pro......

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Regardless check if it bent as Apple confirmed some iPad Pros will be bent by design- if so you don’t have to put up with it and probably return it for the better 10.5” iPad Pro......

I’ve had it since Cyber Monday. It may get be too late to return. I had the 10.5” one and sold it and payed it off so I could buy the new 12.9”. There’s no way I’m getting rid of this thing. This thing is kinda of keeping my 15” MacBook Pro at home.

I’m not really worried about the design issues as I am with the cold weather hurting it when it’s outside.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
I’ve had it since Cyber Monday. It may get be too late to return. I had the 10.5” one and sold it and payed it off so I could buy the new 12.9”. There’s no way I’m getting rid of this thing. This thing is kinda of keeping my 15” MacBook Pro at home.

I’m not really worried about the design issues as I am with the cold weather hurting it when it’s outside.

If you had bought it on or after November 16th, you can return until the Jan 8th :)

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
If you had bought it on or after November 16th, you can return until the Jan 8th :)

I got it from AT&T. Don’t know about there return policy on this. Haven’t really looked at the back. For me, as long as it’s working it should be fine. I got AppleCare plus on it so if something goes wrong I’ll take it to Apple.

Bad thing is that if AT&T takes it back and goes to give me another one, I might get the 1TB one.

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
So I had to pay restocking fee for something that was damaged out the box. Wasn’t gonna sit there and argue so I reckon I’m SOL

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
So I had to pay restocking fee for something that was damaged out the box. Wasn’t gonna sit there and argue so I reckon I’m SOL

Why are you going back to the 10.5”? Why not stick with this one? I would of argued about it. Next time open it at the store and see how it is. That way they can’t charge you a restocking fee.

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Why are you going back to the 10.5”? Why not stick with this one? I would of argued about it. Next time open it at the store and see how it is. That way they can’t charge you a restocking fee.

Yeah I could’ve done that. I have 2 more days to return the 10.5 and I was thinking about going to a different store to see if they have a different stock that are not bent. I really like it.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I could’ve done that. I have 2 more days to return the 10.5 and I was thinking about going to a different store to see if they have a different stock that are not bent. I really like it.

Even at the same store check it out. Even if you have to open ten or a hundred of them. YOU TELL THEM you’re paying money for this and you don’t want a bent one. If they give you a hassle then talk to a manager or go to a corporate store. They shouldn’t give you a hassle there.

Good luck

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I just unboxed my 11” 1TB Cellular.
A bit disappointed.

d24dee1a3df4e3d9391f1a54ef2d83db.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics