Decisions decisions 11” v 12.9”

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I suspect that I’m not the only one who wanted to place a pre-order for a new iPad, but has decided to wait until they can hold the devices side by side (in my case I still have a shopping cart ready to order for the 512GB 11”).

My personal iPad is a 10.5” Pro, and work was kind enough to get me a 12.9” Pro (the first generation). Both are wonderful devices, and will continue to be used in my family and work no doubt.

I travel quite a bit, and have to make the call to only take one of the devices with me (sometimes I find myself unable to compromise and take both, along side my 13” MacBook Pro). One key point in favour of the 11” is that airlines will let you continue to use it during takeoff and landing, where the 12.9” is viewed as a laptop size device and must be put away. That said, the 12.9” allows so much productivity with split screen and slide over, I do miss it when I only have the 10.5”.

I suspect i’ll end up with the 11”, but won’t know for sure until I hold them both and tinker for a little bit. And yes I’m aware I can pre-order then send the unit i get back, this just doesn’t feel right to me at some level, given it’s most likely a 50/50 call.

Can’t wait to check them both out in store and make a call, also the new smart keyboard seems like what I’ve been waiting for.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I found myself in need of an iPad Pro, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 12.9" version this time around.As you've stated, it allows for so much productivity with split screen and slide over. In addition, you get a bigger screen to watch movies and videos, if you desire to. It would be a no brainer for me....:cool:

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 12.9 has so many advantages, except that it takes up more room on a table. If that wasn’t an issue, I would be getting the 12.9.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I had the original 12.9" and not only was it just too big, but at that point apps and games didn't really scale well. I was tempted by the new one as it has a much smaller footprint, but I went the safe route and ordered the 11".

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
If I were in the market, I'd go for the 11", because it is more portable. I do see the merits of the larger screen, and if I were going to be using it more, I'd think about it.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Depends on what is more important to you. If your most important factor is easy of carrying around, go for the 11". If your most important factor is capability to largely replace a laptop or other computer, go for the 12.9". Each has advantages over the other.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I had the first gen 9.7 pro and used it for note taking for work. I keep it in my laptop bag everyday for portability was important to me. I decided to take a trip to the store and see the size difference between the two side by side. As much as I liked the extra real estate I didn’t think I needed it because the 11in seemed just right especially for the price. I’ve been using it for the last couple of hours and I feel like I made the right choice. I’m just contemplating the size of the memory. I went with the minimal 64gb, but not sure if I want to go up to the 256gb or not.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the first gen 9.7 pro and used it for note taking for work. I keep it in my laptop bag everyday for portability was important to me. I decided to take a trip to the store and see the size difference between the two side by side. As much as I liked the extra real estate I didn’t think I needed it because the 11in seemed just right especially for the price. I’ve been using it for the last couple of hours and I feel like I made the right choice. I’m just contemplating the size of the memory. I went with the minimal 64gb, but not sure if I want to go up to the 256gb or not.

You and I are in exactly the same position, except I haven’t bought mine yet, probably tomorrow. How much storage did you have on your 9.7 pro? I have 128GB and I’m only using 17.9.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
You and I are in exactly the same position, except I haven’t bought mine yet, probably tomorrow. How much storage did you have on your 9.7 pro? I have 128GB and I’m only using 17.9.

So that was my biggest issue. I had the 32gb and got by just fine with it honestly. So splurging for the extra memory may not make sense. I figured if I got by with the 32gb then double that should be more than fine. Plus I have 1tb of one drive storage and also pay for the extra iCloud storage for 200gb

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I just tried both in store, i would get the 11" hands down just felt better to hold and the extra screen is noticeable v the 10.5. Nothing wrong with the 12.9 but just too big to be holding close to you for a tablet for me.
Maybe if you are trying to use it as a laptop replacement with keyboard on a desk, but then i would rather a new Air or MBPr, better on your lap too, the 11" is the better hand held tablet size imo.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
To echo what was said above, if it’s main use is as a companion device to a laptop/desktop, then the 11 is probably the correct choice; if it’s replacing a laptop, 12.9 seems like it might be a better option. Obviously, they’ll be exceptions, and the OP probably has the best idea: wait and compare both in person.

That said, my 11 feels somehow smaller than my 10.5, and in a good way. My first thought at unboxing was, “Wow, I could have gotten a 12.9, this is so small!”