Should I buy the Ipad Pro 10.5 now or wait for the new one?

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Is there any news on a new group of Ipads due to come out soon? I want to buy one badly, but will wait if there are new ones coming soon

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I imagine that some sort of announcement about the next model will be coming in the next few months. It's hard to say when because Apple's announcements have been all scattered all over the calendar. The last two models were announced last June. Prior to that another iPad was announced in March. Check out this iMore article to see a detailed timeline.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Do you currently have an iPad now ? Which model do you want ? iPad Pro (10.5) came out in June, do you want to wait that long or longer ? Air2 was current for 2 years ?

Pro 10.5 has a speedy A10 processor, is waiting another 5 plus months worth it for an A11 and Face ID ? (I prefer Touch ID).

If you’re looking for the less expensive model, the rumors are that it will not be released until late 2018, but it’ll supposedly be $70 cheaper than the current least expensive model.

So if you’re not currently an iPad user, you have to ask yourself what do you want it for, what are your expectations, how much are you willing to spend ?

Personally I have the 10.5, WiFi, 256 gig model.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I didn’t have an IPad at the moment. I sold my 12.9 Pro a few months back.

I agree on Touch ID.

I bought the 256 GB 10.5 Pro.. I love it. It really is the perfect size and it is Blazing Fast!!!

Thanks for the input. I think I made the right call

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I agree on Touch ID.

I bought the 256 GB 10.5 Pro.. I love it. It really is the perfect size and it is Blazing Fast!!!

Congratulations on your iPP!
I love my 10.5”

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I agree on Touch ID.

I have not had an iPad in a few years. The last one was the iPad 3. A store by me has the 10.5” 64gb iPad Pro on sale for $499. I’m seriously tempted to grab one. I don’t need a ton of storage so I think 64gb would be plenty. How are you enjoying yours?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have not had an iPad in a few years. The last one was the iPad 3. A store by me has the 10.5” 64gb iPad Pro on sale for $499. I’m seriously tempted to grab one. I don’t need a ton of storage so I think 64gb would be plenty. How are you enjoying yours?

I just grabbed one on Swappa with Apple Pencil etc.. I really needed/wanted it for work - notes. I am very happy with it. If the new ones (if indeed there are new ones) and they're exceptional I will resell mine and get it if I like it. But the functionality of the 10.5 is spot on, and works great.

I added the Logitech Smart Case/Keyboard, and it works great.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I absolutely love my iPad Pro. I just got the Apple Smart Keyboard to go with it. I can’t tell you how easier it make the iPad easier to use. I have been looking at getting a laptop but now I’m in no rush at all.

Darth-Vader

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I'm thinking that WWDC/June will be focused on Macs and not iPads. I suspect if we see any updates in 2018 for the iPads it will be in the fall.

So for the OP, does it make sense to wait until the fall for a new iPad? If I was making the decision, if my need was such that I needed one within the next couple of months, I'd buy it now and thus enjoy the usage now :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking that WWDC/June will be focused on Macs and not iPads. I suspect if we see any updates in 2018 for the iPads it will be in the fall.

So for the OP, does it make sense to wait until the fall for a new iPad? If I was making the decision, if my need was such that I needed one within the next couple of months, I'd buy it now and thus enjoy the usage now :)

What makes you think we’ll see new iPads in the fall? Apple has historically announced new iPads in the first half of the calendar year with only a few exceptions. I presume they like to separate new iPad releases from new iPhone releases as much as possible to avoid cannibalizing sales.
I’m definitely not saying you aren’t possibly right, just wondering what your thought process is.

Darth-Vader

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
What makes you think we’ll see new iPads in the fall? Apple has historically announced new iPads in the first half of the calendar year
Just my opinion, I think Apple will focus on the Mac line.
I suspect they'll announce the new Mac Pro, with a shipping date of 2019,
The iMac non-pro hasn't been updated other then spec bump in 2017
Macbook pros could use some love
Mac Mini hasn't been touched in eons, and Cook has mentioned the mac mini is still alive, in so many words.

I have not heard of any rumors, but rather its just a gut feeling

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Just my opinion, I think Apple will focus on the Mac line.
I suspect they'll announce the new Mac Pro, with a shipping date of 2019,
The iMac non-pro hasn't been updated other then spec bump in 2017
Macbook pros could use some love
Mac Mini hasn't been touched in eons, and Cook has mentioned the mac mini is still alive, in so many words.

I have not heard of any rumors, but rather its just a gut feeling

I tend to agree with Rob, that they'd do it at WWDC -- in fact, I'm not so sure Apple doesn't consider the iPad Pro as an "extension," at least in an way, of the Mac series -- that both are more for business use than personal. In the fall it sounds as if we'll have the three new iPhones, as well as a new Apple Watch and AirPods (and other speakers/headphones) -- at least if current rumors can be believed -- not to mention the release of a new iOS version (which could include a major Siri update) and whatever new accessories Apple is releasing.