Apple Pencil draining battery even when not used

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
As a Christmas gift i received an iPad Pro 10.5, with a Slim Combo keyboard case and an Apple Pencil. I’m very happy about that and I basically replaced my iPad Air 2 and my MacBook Pro with this new set.
But I have a question about Apple Pencil. I love the pencil, but I’m not using it all day long, so it basically stay in the little landscape loop on the Logitech SLim Combo most of the time. Nevertheless it drains battery and I have to charge it basically every day (I dont want a lithium battery to stay at low charge level for too long).
It seems to me that since it is “connected”, both physically and via BT, with my iPad, it never goes to sleep.
Is there a solution to avoid unnecessary charging cycles like these ?
Thank you.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
From what I know, it’ll connect to the iPad the moment you pick it up.

Why don’t you try and place the Apple Pencil on a table, and see if that helps. It could be the loop that made it connect to the iPad all these while.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
From what I know, it’ll connect to the iPad the moment you pick it up.

Why don’t you try and place the Apple Pencil on a table, and see if that helps. It could be the loop that made it connect to the iPad all these while.
Seem to be the movement. Since it is physically connected with the case, every movement of the iPad wakes it up.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
That’s what I thought.
I use my Apple Pencil all the time, and I’ll only plug it in once a week to charge.
Once a week ???
In a morning it went from 100% to 87% without using it (but I used the iPad quite a lot).
Are you keeping the pencil on the desk when not in use ?

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Charged mine yesterday and then left the pencil just sitting on the table about a foot away from the iPad. 24 hours later it is still at 100%. This is why I rarely use the slot for it on my tablet case.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Charged mine yesterday and then left the pencil just sitting on the table about a foot away from the iPad. 24 hours later it is still at 100%. This is why I rarely use the slot for it on my tablet case.
Yep, I think is the slot in the case.
I’m still testing it today, and it is now at 73% (from 6:30 to 16:00) without ever use it. But I’m continuously moving my iPad around, so the Pencil doesn’t really sleep.
Tomorrow I will leave it on my desk for the whole day to check how much it really drains.

anon(9758025)

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I got a 10.5 as well and from what I found is that you either disconnect it from Bluetooth (repairing is easy just plug into iPad) or restarting the iPad which also disconnects the pencil which means no battery drainage

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Quick update about the issue. Today I left the Pencil at 75% unused out of the holding loop of the case and after a whole day the battery is 74%.
So the “problem” is to keep it connected to the iPad : every movement wake the pencil up, draining the battery even if not in use.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Quick update about the issue. Today I left the Pencil at 75% unused out of the holding loop of the case and after a whole day the battery is 74%.
So the “problem” is to keep it connected to the iPad : every movement wake the pencil up, draining the battery even if not in use.

Which makes sense - the pencil can't discern between movement via the case vs in your hand. Like I said, that's why I generally don't use the pencil sleeve on my iPad case if I'm not going to be using it.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Correct!
I’m glad we’re able to figure it out.

picnicmetoo

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Interesting that there is so much difference in battery draining. i have had my Pencil since the week they came out—and learned it needed to be not moved whennit usingit—but todayit ww charged to 100%, kept in a case not near Ipad and still dropped to 88% in probably 6 hours, I love the Pencil and use it daily but that is annoying. It was suggested I disconnect—but then have to reconnect by putting in lightning port—but it does hold the charge.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I’m also using Logitech’s Slim Combo with my 10.5” Pro. Previously I always kept BT on and Pencil connected and never turn my iPad off.

Around 2-3 days later (I’m not a heavy user of the Pencil) and suddenly a message appears saying my Pencil only have 5% battery left.

So my take is as long as you leave the Pencil connected to your iPad, it drains battery even though you don’t use it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I had mine for a while in a slot on the case and have to charge it often since it stays in my bag which moves almost constantly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh