Help my fellow Appleheads!

johvanny7

Dec 17, 2017
Visit site
Hello everybody,
Long story short is: My 2011 MacBook Pro no longer works and it was time for an upgrade anyways. I’m a Junior in High School, got a job, and figured I’ll be needing a new device to mainly type and use as a backup for my IPhone. I’ve been doing research and I’m still not 100% sure. My three options are either getting a 2017 MacBook Air for $899 plus tax, a 2017 10.5 IPad Pro and buying the Apple Smart Keyboard to stimulate that laptop feel for school, or get a a older IPad from 2017 and adding a Logitech keyboard. I’ve also got a few questions on the IPads concerning the WiFi+ Cellular.
1. Is there any way to have an IPad receive cellular data on the go anywhere without having to add an extra line to a carrier line? Pretty much any way with no phone companies involved? Thanks for any help!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi there. Are you planning on using it in college? If that’s the case go with the MacBook Air. I had both while attending school and found that some things just couldn’t be done on my iPad. My MacBook, on the other hand, did everything I needed it to do and more.
You should be able to activate a personal hotspot on your iPhone/smartphone and use that to access the internet on your iPad or MacBook assuming your data plan supports it. Just be careful, especially using a MacBook, because it can be a data hog if your device can’t discriminate between a personal hotspot and a normal WiFi connection. To activate personal hotspot on an iPhone go to Settings > Personal Hotspot.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! For college I think you’re going to be a lot happier with a MacBook Air. If you opt to go with an iPad, go with a Pro. Also, please be very security conscious when you’re at school! Never ever leave any device unattended, in a library, student union or other study place. Working at a University, I’ve heard sad stories and wanted to share a word of caution

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello!
I would recommend getting the MacBook since you’ll be able to do more with it in the long run as compared to an iPad.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest getting the MacBook Air...I seem to agree with everyone that has responded to your post that the Air would be the best choice. The Air will serve you longer as opposed to the iPad...IMHO.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234