A few questions from an Android user

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to read and help me out if you so decide.

It's time for a new tablet, and as an avid user of Android/Google products, I've been eyeing this Pro 10.5 for about 2 months. I've read a lot, watched the YouTube videos and consulted a couple of the users in this forum privately for their trusted insight.

I was ready to pull the trigger during BF/CM sales, but got cold feet when the whole "i.t. to IT" thing crossed the blogs. I'm software sensitive, what can I say *blush*? But Best Buy still has my price, so my feet are warming again.

I'm struggling because all my personal research points to iOS 11 is literally built for the iPad, yet this seems to be one of the most problematic OS releases in what's got to be years for Apple (but what do I know, I haven't touch a piece of Apple hardware in 6-7 years). Maybe most of that noise is from the iPhone users more than the tablets ..??? I don't know..

So questions:

1) I know I can't change icon screen placement, however... The Dock... I can place whatever I want there, yes?

2) Fast charging - to take advantage of that feature, I need both the cable ($19) and the adapter ($49), correct? :mad:

3) I need to be able to write, so The Pencil (sold separately). Am I reading things correctly and it charges from the lightning port on the iPad? So do I charge the iPad, unplug it, then charge the Pencil with the iPad?

4) I've checked Apple's site and there's no just black color?? Is that correct or am I looking at the wrong thing?

5) Support. I know Apple provides great in store support, but that is the last place I want to be. If I just want telephone or chat support, is that something that I pay for as well?

6) Any durable executive level case/folio recommendations? My preferred vendor, only engineered cases for the 12.9 variant.

Also, any insight you can provide regarding your day-in, day-out usage is also welcome.

Thanks everyone and Happy Holidays! :)

Last edited:

chefjayhawk

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
1) yes you can, there is a limit though.
2) I charge over night, so quick charge I have never looked into
3) Correct, the Pencil does come with an adapter to charge with a cord from the wall/battery pack.
4) space grey back, black front.
5) I have never paid, and support is timely and awesome.

I get a full day battery, 10ish hours. I’m a heavy user, reading, surfing, games, writing. Pretty happy with the battery.

I love my 10.5, I ditched my laptop. No need anymore. Especially with iOS 11 upgrades.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to read and help me out if you so decide.

It's time for a new tablet, and as an avid user of Android/Google products, I've been eyeing this Pro 10.5 for about 2 months. I've read a lot, watched the YouTube videos and consulted a couple of the users in this forum privately for their trusted insight.

I was ready to pull the trigger during BF/CM sales, but got cold feet when the whole "i.t. to IT" thing crossed the blogs. I'm software sensitive, what can I say *blush*? But Best Buy still has my price, so my feet are warming again.

I'm struggling because all my personal research points to iOS 11 is literally built for the iPad, yet this seems to be one of the most problematic OS releases in what's got to be years for Apple (but what do I know, I haven't touch a piece of Apple hardware in 6-7 years). Maybe most of that noise is from the iPhone users more than the tablets ..??? I don't know..

So questions:

1) I know I can't change icon screen placement, however... The Dock... I can place whatever I want there, yes?

2) Fast charging - to take advantage of that feature, I need both the cable ($19) and the adapter ($49), correct? :mad:

3) I need to be able to write, so The Pencil (sold separately). Am I reading things correctly and it charges from the lightning port on the iPad? So do I charge the iPad, unplug it, then charge the Pencil with the iPad?

4) I've checked Apple's site and there's no just black color?? Is that correct or am I looking at the wrong thing?

5) Support. I know Apple provides great in store support, but that is the last place I want to be. If I just want telephone or chat support, is that something that I pay for as well?

5) Any durable executive level case/folio recommendations? My preferred vendor, only engineered cases for the 12.9 variant.

Also, any insight you can provide regarding your day-in, day-out usage is also welcome.

Thanks everyone and Happy Holidays! :)

I don’t have the Pro, but I do have iPad Air 2, I can help a little here.

1. You can move icons around on the home screen, but not entirely freely like Android. They always place left to right, top to bottom. The dock can hold up to 13 icons I believe it is, any order you want, any app you want.

2. I don’t believe the iPad Pro 10.5” has fast charging. Right now I believe that’s only iPhones 8/8 Plus/X. But yes to get full speed fast charging you need to buy a 29W MacBook charger and a USB-C to lightning adapter. It only makes a difference in the first 30 minutes though, the iPad charger charges iPhones only 12 minutes slower than the MacBook charger from 0-100%.

3. I don’t know enough about the Apple Pencil to help here unfortunately.

4. Space Gray is as close to black as you’ll get, and it’s the only color option with a black front bezel.

5. There is Apple Support you can email/chat with, it is free.

6. Burkley and Twelve South make quality leather products. Maybe not as protective as something like an Urban Armor Gear, which is also a folio with a detachable cover. The UAG is more utilitarian than executive though. The Apple Smart Keyboard/Cover are also more or less folio’s but are silicone rather than leather and may not be as executive as you’d like. There are a number of options from various vendors, but when it comes to quality leather I look at Twelve South and Burkley.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I don’t have the Pro, but I do have iPad Air 2, I can help a little here.

1. You can move icons around on the home screen, but not entirely freely like Android. They always place left to right, top to bottom. The dock can hold up to 13 icons I believe it is, any order you want, any app you want.

2. I don’t believe the iPad Pro 10.5” has fast charging. Right now I believe that’s only iPhones 8/8 Plus/X. But yes to get full speed fast charging you need to buy a 29W MacBook charger and a USB-C to lightning adapter. It only makes a difference in the first 30 minutes though, the iPad charger charges iPhones only 12 minutes slower than the MacBook charger from 0-100%.

3. I don’t know enough about the Apple Pencil to help here unfortunately.

4. Space Gray is as close to black as you’ll get, and it’s the only color option with a black front bezel.

5. There is Apple Support you can email/chat with, it is free.

6. Burkley and Twelve South make quality leather products. Maybe not as protective as something like an Urban Armor Gear, which is also a folio with a detachable cover. The UAG is more utilitarian than executive though. The Apple Smart Keyboard/Cover are also more or less folio’s but are silicone rather than leather and may not be as executive as you’d like. There are a number of options from various vendors, but when it comes to quality leather I look at Twelve South and Burkley.

Thank you very much, here.

On 1, I am hoping to have 10 - 12 apps on the first page and 5-6 of those in the dock, so that helps a lot.

With 2, I think I read an article from Serenity that the Pro line offers fast charging, though I will read it again to be sure. I have a habit of falling asleep with my devices on and often need to charge during my morning routine before I leave the house or hotel room, not returning for a number of hours.

4, Space gray it seems then.

5, really good to know. I travel and being able to chat/email is most convenient for me.

6, my traditional case provider is Roocase. They make everything Apple... except the 10.5 variant (go figure). I'll look into your suggestions. Thank you!.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much, here.

On 1, I am hoping to have 10 - 12 apps on the first page and 5-6 of those in the dock, so that helps a lot.

With 2, I think I read an article from Serenity that the Pro line offers fast charging, though I will read it again to be sure. I have a habit of falling asleep with my devices on and often need to charge during my morning routine before I leave the house or hotel room, not returning for a number of hours.

4, Space gray it seems then.

5, really good to know. I travel and being able to chat/email is most convenient for me.

6, my traditional case provider is Roocase. They make everything Apple... except the 10.5 variant (go figure). I'll look into your suggestions. Thank you!.

No problem. I could be wrong about the fast charging, let me know if I am. I like to give the best help I can to others.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
This is the article. Again, it's been some time since I operated an Apple device to I could be off in my interpretation of the read.

https://www.imore.com/best-way-fast-charge-your-ipad-pro

You read correctly, the iPad Pro does have fast charging. It’s $75 for both the USB-C to lightning cable and the 29W MacBook charger, but it will charge your iPad quicker in the earlier stages of the charge cycle.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
1. Correct
2. Yep
3. Yes, or you can use the included adapter to charge via a normal lightning cable.
4. There’s Space Grey, which is not black.
5. Nope, you can just download the Apple Support app.
6. I would recommend a Logitech or the Apple Smart Keyboard.

I’m happy with my 10.5”, it’s the best iPad ever IMO. I am however looking forward to next year’s rumored iPad with a new design.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
There are 3rd party fast chargers available:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/29w-fast-charging-tests-and-3rd-party-adapters.2052414/

But only the cable made by Apple currently supports fasts charging.

I came from Android to the Air 2 and now the 10.5. After learning how things work in the Apple ecosystem, I have to say I am real happy with it - rock solid, great performance, and with a wide variety of apps, some extremely sophisticated. The 10.5 is amazing. I also have an 8" Galaxy Tab S2 and a Galaxy S7 Edge so I still keep a presence in both sides.

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had android tablets and they just don't hold a candle to the ipads. I'm not an apple fanboy by any means, in fact I much prefer android. In the tablet world though, android just sucks and apple has it nailed. Not to mention the apps for ios are all optimized for an ipad where in android a lot of them are just a blown up phone app. I do have a 10.5" pro and I love it. The fast charging makes a huge difference. Yes, it sucks to spend all that extra money on a charger and cable but it really is a lot faster.

On the phone side, I am an android guy. I can't STAND itunes. Despise it with a passion. I shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops with itunes just to put music on my phone etc. Drag and drop in android is the only way I'll go on a phone. I have yet to even plug any ipad I've owned into a computer or any sort of itunes sync. If apple ever got rid of itunes I'd consider an iphone. Right now using a zte axon 7. Awesome phone and less than half the price of iphone.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I've had android tablets and they just don't hold a candle to the ipads. I'm not an apple fanboy by any means, in fact I much prefer android. In the tablet world though, android just sucks and apple has it nailed. Not to mention the apps for ios are all optimized for an ipad where in android a lot of them are just a blown up phone app. I do have a 10.5" pro and I love it. The fast charging makes a huge difference. Yes, it sucks to spend all that extra money on a charger and cable but it really is a lot faster.

On the phone side, I am an android guy. I can't STAND itunes. Despise it with a passion. I shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops with itunes just to put music on my phone etc. Drag and drop in android is the only way I'll go on a phone. I have yet to even plug any ipad I've owned into a computer or any sort of itunes sync. If apple ever got rid of itunes I'd consider an iphone. Right now using a zte axon 7. Awesome phone and less than half the price of iphone.

I tend to agree regarding Android and tablets. I really like the 8” S2 Tab and it looks like Apple is abandoning the smaller form factor, which is too bad. If I were advising someone on buying a 9” or larger tablet I would definitely recommend the iPad. I have a 10” Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T with clamshell keyboard case that is absolutely beautiful but runs like a pig even with the latest custom ROM on it. No comparison with my 10’5” iPP with 256GB, LTE, and the Smart Keyboard. Pricey, but it’s amazing. And some of the iOS apps are also amazing in their sophistication – Complete Anatomy is a good example. I think Android is moving toward Chromebooks vs tablets at this point. I also agree regarding Apple phones – I’ll stick with Android.

I’ll add that I did consider the 9.7” Galaxy Tab S3 tablet but wanted the slightly larger screen (10.5”) and to keep the iOS apps I’ve really come to like. Also, on Antutu, the S3 runs about 147,000 and the iPad Pro is up at 220,000. Display brightness – S3 at 442, the iPP just under 600.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site

This is about how I feel. I've had my Samsung Tab 10.1 since 2014 and it's been great for my needs, but it's time to upgrade and the offerings are just so thin right now in Android world. I had a first gen iPad back in the day (and a Macbook Pro as well) but I couldn't really function the way I needed to at that time with non-apple devices. With the Google Apps available now, I think it's time to give the iPad another go.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
This is about how I feel. I've had my Samsung Tab 10.1 since 2014 and it's been great for my needs, but it's time to upgrade and the offerings are just so thin right now in Android world. I had a first gen iPad back in the day (and a Macbook Pro as well) but I couldn't really function the way I needed to at that time with non-apple devices. With the Google Apps available now, I think it's time to give the iPad another go.

Are you planning on getting the 10.5” iPP? Or are you going to wait for the new 2018 models?

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Are you planning on getting the 10.5” iPP? Or are you going to wait for the new 2018 models?

Hey @TripleOne I pulled the trigger on the 2017 model. Should be here on Friday, but with Christmas so close, may be Tuesday at the latest.

I did consider waiting for the 2018 model to open my choices a bit, but with some of the rumors around the form factor being inline with the iPhone X, I don't think the 2018 model will be the right build for me.

While I think the hardware design is a refreshing change for the iPhone, I think it signals the direction they may be going with the iPad as well, and that style of hardware build in a tablet I don't think is for me.

While I'm definitely a more "function over form" type and care about software above all, I am still interested in the specs when it gets closer to development. Specifically have an in interest in the A11 chip if that comes to fruition.

Will be interesting for me interacting with an Apple hardware product again. I'm sure there will be a few questions along the way. I guess we'll see how it goes come Friday.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey @TripleOne I pulled the trigger on the 2017 model. Should be here on Friday, but with Christmas so close, may be Tuesday at the latest.

I did consider waiting for the 2018 model to open my choices a bit, but with some of the rumors around the form factor being inline with the iPhone X, I don't think the 2018 model will be the right build for me.

While I think the hardware design is a refreshing change for the iPhone, I think it signals the direction they may be going with the iPad as well, and that style of hardware build in a tablet I don't think is for me.

While I'm definitely a more "function over form" type and care about software above all, I am still interested in the specs when it gets closer to development. Specifically have an in interest in the A11 chip if that comes to fruition.

Will be interesting for me interacting with an Apple hardware product again. I'm sure there will be a few questions along the way. I guess we'll see how it goes come Friday.

That’s great!
Feel free to shoot us any questions :)

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It’s the best iPad to date IMO.
I’ve had mine for 2 months and I still love it very much.

You sound like apples ads. lol I find it funny when every year for every product apple says, "our new "insert product here" is the fastest and best ever"! I would hope so. That's kind of the way it works. It would be really funny for apple to come out one year and say, " we've taken a giant leap back this year, VGA resolution, 30 pin connector, single core processor and 512MB ram!!!! Why? Because it's what we're telling you you want. All this can be yours for the low price of $1200"!!!!!!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
You sound like apples ads. lol I find it funny when every year for every product apple says, "our new "insert product here" is the fastest and best ever"! I would hope so. That's kind of the way it works. It would be really funny for apple to come out one year and say, " we've taken a giant leap back this year, VGA resolution, 30 pin connector, single core processor and 512MB ram!!!! Why? Because it's what we're telling you you want. All this can be yours for the low price of $1200"!!!!!!

Hahaha I can’t help myself 🤣
It’s the truth though and I do enjoy it very much.