Hi,

I'm about to buy an iPad Pro 10.5. I thought I'd just get a Smart Cover, but a retail chain in the U.K. is offering £60 off a IPP, ASK and Pencil bundle. This makes the keyboard only £50 more than the Smart Cover.

Most of the time I'd just be using it for note taking with the pencil, web browsing and media consumption. The keyboard is for occasional use. However, I was worried it was more 'flimsy' in use than the cover - especially when folded back on the iPad. I'm not too worried about this £50 price difference.

I wondered what your experiences were? Is it more fiddly to hold in place when reading in bed, etc? I'm conscious it'll be a tiny bit more bulky, but am just thinking about the overall experience of holding it day to day.

Many thanks!
    09-18-2017 02:26 AM
    Well, I recently got one for my 9.7 iPad Pro and I have to say I´m happy with it. After reading/watching different opinions, I just went for it for the ocassional use as you say, but I noticed I just use it more, considering I don´t have the virtual keyboard covering almost half of the screen.
    About the flimsy...mmm nop it´s not, actually it has magnets in every foldable edge...(including the one with the smart connector -obviously- and the other edge) you actually have to open it with both hands, it stays close and holds tight when in use, or when closed or when hold in reading mode etc. Of course it´fall if you push too hard, but for regular non agressive use, it works just fine.

I attached some pictures, the circled areas means they magnets and the last one is to "try" to show that it can´t be easily opened one handed.

Is the Smart Keyboard flimsy?-fullsizerender.jpg

Is the Smart Keyboard flimsy?-fullsizerender-2.jpg

Is the Smart Keyboard flimsy?-img_0960.jpg

I hope this helps even a little bit to clear your doubts.

Good luck
    Last edited by linsiris; 09-24-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    anon(8129701) likes this.
    09-18-2017 09:52 PM
    I bought a Smart Keyboard the day I got my 12.9” iPad Pro a little over a year ago. I love it. I wouldn’t describe it at “flimsy” at all. It’s actually very sturdy. It rarely gets in the way but if I want it out of the way it comes right off.
    09-18-2017 10:07 PM
    The Smart Keyboard is a great accessory that complements the iPP very well. It’s not the best keyboard to be using in bed, on your lap, etc... If used on a sturdy desk, it works great! I still prefer a laptop’s keyboard, but they Smart Keyboard isn’t too bad.
    09-19-2017 12:21 AM
    Thank you all so much for the feedback. Especially going to the effort of taking and marking up photos. It's really appreciated! You've convinced me. I've placed the order - hopefully collecting it all soon!
    TripleOne likes this.
    09-20-2017 03:14 AM
    Thank you all so much for the feedback. Especially going to the effort of taking and marking up photos. It's really appreciated! You've convinced me. I've placed the order - hopefully collecting it all soon!
    Yay!
    Congrats, I hope you’ll LOVE it as much as I do.
    09-21-2017 04:56 AM
    Well, my pleasure. The idea wasn’t to convince you, but to answer your question and show you the device son you could make an educated decision, based on your needs and preferences.
    It feels and looks toy-like, but it’s simple, water resistant, weightless, works like a charm.
    And don’t forget it’s a complement and once you get it google the tips and shortcuts that’ll make it easier and faster to use.

Enjoy, cheers
    09-21-2017 08:09 AM
    The more that I use my Smart Keyboard, the more that I have to say that I am in Love with it. Such a wonderful device. Thin, light and very easy to type on. I am a big fan of it.
    TripleOne likes this.
    09-24-2017 09:35 PM
    The more that I use my Smart Keyboard, the more that I have to say that I am in Love with it. Such a wonderful device. Thin, light and very easy to type on. I am a big fan of it.
    It’ll be perfect if it had backlit keys
    Frehley likes this.
    09-25-2017 12:21 AM
    It’ll be perfect if it had backlit keys
    I agee totally! It is a great portable physical keyboard...if only it was backlit.
    12-10-2017 06:35 AM
    Just picked up the Smart Keyboard for my 10.5 and so far, I’m digging it. Have yet to master the shortcuts, but so far, its working out ok. I can type pretty good on this too! Glad I picked this up instead of one of the larger, bulkier cases/keyboards.
    TripleOne likes this.
    12-22-2017 11:25 PM
    Just picked up the Smart Keyboard for my 10.5 and so far, I’m digging it. Have yet to master the shortcuts, but so far, its working out ok. I can type pretty good on this too! Glad I picked this up instead of one of the larger, bulkier cases/keyboards.
    That’s great!
    It’s one of my favourites for the iPP. It needs backlit keys though
    12-23-2017 12:57 AM
    I still love my Smart Keyboard. I’ve tried many and always end up coming back to it.
    12-26-2017 12:05 PM
    I still love my Smart Keyboard. I’ve tried many and always end up coming back to it.
    I do too, and I’m hoping for Apple to introduce a keyboard with backlit keys for the iPP.
    12-26-2017 09:24 PM
    It is a nice product but I always suggest checking out the 12" MacBook when people wonder or consider how much of a laptop replacement they get with iPad Pro or how good the keyboard accessory is. Flimsy as asked might be unfair, but it is not in the league of getting a MacBook.

I love the whole iPad family and am using one of ours at the moment but am among those who can't use them as general purpose computer replacements.
    TripleOne likes this.
    12-27-2017 07:52 AM
    It is a nice product but I always suggest checking out the 12" MacBook when people wonder or consider how much of a laptop replacement they get with iPad Pro or how good the keyboard accessory is. Flimsy as asked might be unfair, but it is not in the league of getting a MacBook.

I love the whole iPad family and am using one of ours at the moment but am among those who can't use them as general purpose computer replacements.
    100% agreed.
    12-27-2017 08:46 AM
    That’s great!
    It’s one of my favourites for the iPP. It needs backlit keys though
    just need to figure a good Apple Pencil holder that works well with the keyboard and the back case I have on it.
    12-28-2017 04:13 PM
    I’m using a Logitech Slim Combo on my new iPad Pro, but I’m not entirely satisfied by it.
    I mean, the keyboard itself is wonderful, I think better than the Apple one.
    And the iPad is fully protected, with a solid back cover and raised edges. And the Apple Pencil holder is very handy over there.
    The problem is ... it is bulky as hell !
    Basically it’s like a MacBook, if not even bulkier !
    I like the Apple keyboard more, but what about the back case ? How can you protect the iPad?
    Can you fit the Apple case with the keyboard?
    01-01-2018 05:08 AM
    I’m using a Logitech Slim Combo on my new iPad Pro, but I’m not entirely satisfied by it.
    And the iPad is fully protected, with a solid back cover and raised edges. And the Apple Pencil holder is very handy over there.
    I like the Apple keyboard more, but what about the back case ? How can you protect the iPad?
    I don’t use a back case for my iPP, but I’m sure some cases out there is compatible with the Smart Keyboard. As long as you are careful with your iPad, just having the Smart Keyboard attached with no case should suffice.

Apple made a silicone back case for the 12.9” iPP that works well with the Smart Keyboard.
    01-01-2018 06:24 AM

I use a Khomo rear cover with the ASK on my 10.5 and it works great. They have two versions, with and without pencil holder (I have without).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mUvbUpU3031350
    01-01-2018 01:48 PM
    I don’t use a back case for my iPP, but I’m sure some cases out there is compatible with the Smart Keyboard. As long as you are careful with your iPad, just having the Smart Keyboard attached with no case should suffice.

Apple made a silicone back case for the 12.9” iPP that works well with the Smart Keyboard.
    Wow... I just can’t go naked.
    I’m worried about scratches TBH
    01-01-2018 02:01 PM
    I use a Khomo rear cover with the ASK on my 10.5 and it works great. They have two versions, with and without pencil holder (I have without).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mUvbUpU3031353
    Interesting. It is very cheap. how does it feel ? I need the pencil holder version for sure
    01-01-2018 02:03 PM
    Interesting. It is very cheap. how does it feel ? I need the pencil holder version for sure
    It feels and looks exactly like the keyboard and is a perfect fit. This is the pencil version:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WXGD7F...mUvbUpU3031357
    Rockdog97 likes this.
    01-01-2018 02:12 PM
    I have the Smart Keyboard cover from Apple and it works well with this back cover i got on amazon.

Is the Smart Keyboard flimsy?-img_0118.jpg
    01-03-2018 06:37 PM