Would you trade your 10.5" for a 2nd gen 12.9"?

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a weird trade question. A friend of mine won a 12.9" iPad Pro 2nd gen 512gb wifi+Cellular. I have the 10.5" 256gb wifi+cellular.

He wants to know if I want to trade straight up. It didn't cost him anything and he only wants it for movies and light web browsing and doesn't want the large one. He also doesn't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell it. I do a lot of work on mine and have kind of missed my old 12.9". Both trades are with smart keyboard.

Would you make the trade? I'm thinking of doing it for the increased size (but more weight) and obvious more space on his.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Would you trade your 10.5" for a 2nd get 12..9"?

I would trade if I were you. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and have more than enough money for smaller iPad.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't pay the extra money for the 12.9" as I actually like the size of the 10.5", however, with zero extra expense I would definitely do the trade. The bigger screen would be nice, just not nice enough to pay extra for it, IMO.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
No. I had the 12.9 iPad. Having cellular, I take it everywhere. Goes to the office every day. 12.9 was too big to lug around. After having both, no way I’d go back to 12.9. No way.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No. I had the 12.9 iPad. Having cellular, I take it everywhere. Goes to the office every day. 12.9 was too big to lug around. After having both, no way I’d go back to 12.9. No way.

Struggling with this myself. I have a 12.9” cellular model right now. The 10.5” sacrifices a little screen real estate but it feels SO much smaller in the hand.

Either way, I’m still light years ahead of what I was forced to lug around 15 years ago. At one point I had an 18.4” Qosmio notebook that I swear weighed 10 lbs and it had a gigantic charging brick.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a weird trade question. A friend of mine won a 12.9" iPad Pro 2nd gen 512gb wifi+Cellular. I have the 10.5" 256gb wifi+cellular.

He wants to know if I want to trade straight up. It didn't cost him anything and he only wants it for movies and light web browsing and doesn't want the large one. He also doesn't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell it. I do a lot of work on mine and have kind of missed my old 12.9". Both trades are with smart keyboard.

Would you make the trade? I'm thinking of doing it for the increased size (but more weight) and obvious more space on his.

Thoughts?

You had a 12.9 before, so you know what it's like to live with. I'd say do it since there will be no difference performance-wise and you are getting extra storage in return. Just make sure your carrier will work on the new device.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
You had a 12.9 before, so you know what it's like to live with. I'd say do it since there will be no difference performance-wise and you are getting extra storage in return. Just make sure your carrier will work on the new device.

Yes, and thank you. I have decided to go ahead and do it. I enjoyed the 12.9" when I had it (I also love the 10.5"). If I miss the 10.5 too much I can always sell it and re-purchase the 10.5.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thoughts?

Your friend has a brand new 12.9” iPad Pro cellular + Wi-Fi model and twice the storage capacity. In my opinion, you’re not losing out on anything, and you will be returning to the larger size that you’ve admitted to missing. I’d go for it, if it were me.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Made the trade this morning. So far I really like having the larger size again as I use this as my main machine for work. Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Made the trade this morning. So far I really like having the larger size again as I use this as my main machine for work. Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it.

Good deal! Now get a keyboard if you don't have one already and you are in business. My 12.9 is my go to device and I haven't touched my Macbook Pro in weeks!

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm struggling with the same issue... I have a 12.9 iPad on T-Mobile (since 2015) and I love it. I use it for reading/replying email, Evernote, web browsing, Youtube, etc.

I will definitely upgrade, but not sure to which one yet (10.5 or 12.9). Can you elaborate when you say, "it sacrifices a little screen real estate", aside from the obvious.

Also, can you share what you use your iPad for?

Thanks!

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Would you trade your 10.5" for a 2nd gen 12.9"?

I had a late 2013 15" rMBP and the first gen 12.9" iPad Pro. Sold both to get the 2017 15" MacBook Pro. Sometimes I think about the iPad. Might have the go with the 10.5" if I decide to get another one. The MacBook is only about two weeks old now. Might be too early to start thinking about another iPad.

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I'm struggling with the same issue... I have a 12.9 iPad on T-Mobile (since 2015) and I love it. I use it for reading/replying email, Evernote, web browsing, Youtube, etc.

I will definitely upgrade, but not sure to which one yet (10.5 or 12.9). Can you elaborate when you say, "it sacrifices a little screen real estate", aside from the obvious.

Also, can you share what you use your iPad for?

Thanks!

If it was me, i would go with 12.9 inch, big screen! I use my ipad pro mainly for browsing, writing, and reading. I love my ipad!

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Haha...good one! But there is also a newer version of 12.9 ipad like 10.5. And i meant the new version 12.9. I would also not go for the old version.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro