Worth upgrading from the 9.7" pro?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So I have a 9.7" pro and was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the 10.5" model? Looking at comparisons, not sure if it is that much of an improvement over the 9.7", thoughts?

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I wouldnt. I considered the 9.7 pro instead of the 10.5 but then remembered how stingy apple is with their outgoing model discounts. Seemed to make more sense to just get the new model.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I have a 9.7" pro and was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the 10.5" model? Looking at comparisons, not sure if it is that much of an improvement over the 9.7", thoughts?

I don’t think it’s worth upgrading, unless you want the slightly larger screen.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have ordered the SG 10.5 64GB 4G and Black leather smart cover to try out and will have it on Thursday, decided now if i like it my wife will have my 9.7 pro and will sell her Air 2, both are gold which i normally wouldn't buy for myself but both were a bargain. will be good to be back on black.
Is it worth it? We will see.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I thought the same until I decided to pick one up last night. Wowzers, this thing is incredible. The screen with the 600 knit is stunning. The 120 Hz speed is buttery smooth. Makes the current 9.7 pro feel jittery. You also feel it being 30% faster with the A10X. It's stunning fast. I hadn't used my Apple Pencil in a year. That has made me think different with the new speed. The double the RAM is major for multitasking. Now cameras, I could care less. I don't use my iPad for photo taking. Not everybody will feel the same but I feel like this is a great upgrade over the 9.7 pro. They say the screen is 20% bigger. It does feel that way.

I know not everybody will see the value but this is just my honest thoughts. I usually buy things on launch day. I was hesitant and took me 2 days to actually want to try it. I even drove an hour to find an Apple Store that I had I wanted. Space gray 256 cellular 10.5. The 2 closer apple stores were sold out of this exact model. It was worth the drive.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Worth upgrading from the 9.7" pro?

I thought the same until I decided to pick one up last night. Wowzers, this thing is incredible. The screen with the 600 knit is stunning. The 120 Hz speed is buttery smooth. Makes the current 9.7 pro feel jittery. You also feel it being 30% faster with the A10X. It's stunning fast. I hadn't used my Apple Pencil in a year. That has made me think different with the new speed. The double the RAM is major for multitasking. Now cameras, I could care less. I don't use my iPad for photo taking. Not everybody will feel the same but I feel like this is a great upgrade over the 9.7 pro. They say the screen is 20% bigger. It does feel that way.

I know not everybody will see the value but this is just my honest thoughts. I usually buy things on launch day. I was hesitant and took me 2 days to actually want to try it. I even drove an hour to find an Apple Store that I had I wanted. Space gray 256 cellular 10.5. The 2 closer apple stores were sold out of this exact model. It was worth the drive.

Wow! That’s saying something because the current 9.7” iPad Pro is still a beast, and is even better with iOS 11. I’m going to have to drop by an Apple Store and check out the newest models. I still won’t buy one, though, I’m sure I’ll be tempted...

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site

I agree and have even splashed out on the Apple keyboard and pencil, coming Monday. I liked my 9.7 pro but didn't feel like it was worthy of the pro tools. This one is worth the money i wouldn't of said the same about the 9.7 pro coming from a air 2.
Passed it onto my wife now and selling her Air 2 which isn't easy.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: Worth upgrading from the 9.7" pro?

Wow! That’s saying something because the current 9.7” iPad Pro is still a beast, and is even better with iOS 11. I’m going to have to drop by an Apple Store and check out the newest models. I still won’t buy one, though, I’m sure I’ll be tempted...

Any new apple products is always tempting, right? Lol.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I agree and have even splashed out on the Apple keyboard and pencil, coming Monday. I liked my 9.7 pro but didn't feel like it was worthy of the pro tools. This one is worth the money i wouldn't of said the same about the 9.7 pro coming from a air 2.
Passed it onto my wife now and selling her Air 2 which isn't easy.

I agree completely. The pro 9.7 felt like it should have been an iPad Air 3 with pencil support. It wasn't anything special.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I agree completely. The pro 9.7 felt like it should have been an iPad Air 3 with pencil support. It wasn't anything special.

Yeah i got mine for new for $400 under retail so was worth it, i didn't like the Air 2 either because of the speaker vibration and screen distortion, got it new for $300 16gb 4G which was half new price, cant even get $399 at the moment. We have a good online/store buyer here i offload to sometimes, no eBay or gumtree dramas, they will pay $270 and don't want accessories so might sell to them, $30 for a near years use is not bad.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site

It's a way better iPad, just using it in store won't do it, got to have it in hand for a few days.

I am sending my original 64gb back and getting another on Monday with keyboard and pencil on 18 months interest free from Apple, thats how good i think it is.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a way better iPad, just using it in store won't do it, got to have it in hand for a few days.

I am sending my original 64gb back and getting another on Monday with keyboard and pencil on 18 months interest free from Apple, thats how good i think it is.

I’m sure it is a better iPad, but for “me”, my 9.7” iPad Pro will remain with me for a while...:)....Anyway, let me know when your new toys arrives...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah i got mine for new for $400 under retail so was worth it, i didn't like the Air 2 either because of the speaker vibration and screen distortion, got it new for $300 16gb 4G which was half new price, cant even get $399 at the moment. We have a good online/store buyer here i offload to sometimes, no eBay or gumtree dramas, they will pay $270 and don't want accessories so might sell to them, $30 for a near years use is not bad.

Wow. Way better than the 15% off that I get through Apple retail.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I’m sure it is a better iPad, but for “me”, my 9.7” iPad Pro will remain with me for a while...:)....Anyway, let me know when your new toys arrives...

After 4 days comparing the 2, i put this in another thread but letting you know my thoughts:

Nice post, i was just thinking the same over the weekend using my new 10.5, is it worth it with what my wife and i actually use our iPads for, her iPad air 2 for some cooking recipes and book reading/weather and me 9.7 pro for web viewing, books, bit of netflix around the house and email and maps, pages when i travel for work not that often. The air 2 is only 11 months old and pro about 4 months, both bought at really good prices $980AUD for both.
If i sell the air and give her the pro change over is $1018, sell the pro and its $718.
I have the 10.5 and my 9.7 pro set up exactly the same and apart from the screen size and being a bit quicker i see no difference in my 4 days comparing.
Funny the 9.7 pro has the best home button i have ever had on a apple device, its almost noiseless the 10.5 is clicky loud, its a lottery with those.
Hard to justify really, seriously thinking of sending the 10.5 back and getting another year from our current iPads.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I had the iPad Pro 9.7 for a while. As soon as I finished set up and got to the home screen, I thought to myself, the interface should be smoother than this. I would see a jitter here and there. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as smooth as my iPhone 7 either. I eventually sold it. I purchased the iPad Pro 10.5" yesterday and I'm blown away. This tablet is butter all the time. Not a single jitter anywhere. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. IMO, the 10.5" is a worthy upgrade.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Might try the 12.9, going from 9.7 to 10.5 didn't seem a big enough upgrade for the money. I don't have a laptop anymore so this might fill the void between my iPhone 7 and 27" 5K iMac.

mpshah

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Might try the 12.9, going from 9.7 to 10.5 didn't seem a big enough upgrade for the money. I don't have a laptop anymore so this might fill the void between my iPhone 7 and 27" 5K iMac.

Ditto. I'm getting rid of my MB Pro at home and ordered the new 12.9 as a laptop replacement. Currently on the 9.7 and I feel the same, 10.5 wont be that much of an upgrade. Let me know how it works out for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR