iPad Mini 4, 3 or 2?

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I am tad bit confused. Except the processor speed, I don't see any monumental difference between the 2, the 3 and the 4. (Weight is irrelevant to me.)

So, I wanted to ask, for basic and simple, everyday use, which one should be a better option?

The thing is, honestly, as of now, only the Mini 2 is in my exact budget. And then there is barely any difference between 3 and 4. So it leaves me all confused.

If I were to use it for only:

Google ChromeCast

FB/Twitter

YouTube - BIG TIME.

PS: I HATE the Gold color.

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I would recommend Mini 2 since I personally own it and it's great. The Mini 3 is basically a Mini 2 (same processor, camera, display) with Touch ID. The Mini 2 also beats the Mini 3 in benchmarks by a hairline. The Mini 4 is slightly better in speed etc. So the Mini 2 is perfect for your conditions.

wkelly24

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I would believe it would then come down to what you can afford. Getting the 4th edition would get you the longest supportability vs the other editions. So if you can afford the 4th gen, then go for that one. Good Luck!

Lucy Davies

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm in the same situation here but I'm gonna be using my iPad mainly for gaming. The iPad mini 4 will probably be better with 2GB RAM compared to the mini 2 with only 1GB but the mini 4 is so expensive. Will it drop in price when a new iPad comes out?

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the mini 3, bought it nearly 2 years ago now. At the time I was going to get the 2 as the only difference was the touch ID then a deal came along where the 3 was available for the same price as the 2 so I snapped it up

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have an original Mini which is almost unusable now, even with the latest software (it doesn't support iOS 10). The 2 is near the unsupported mark as well, so I would get at least a 3 or 4. Of course if budget allows only the 2, then you don't have much choice for the others :)

Don't opt out of considering a used one (eBay, Swappa, etc.). I saw a used 32gb Mini 4 for $325 the other day... about a month old.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Not much different between the IPad Mini 2 and 3 besides Touch ID. The processor is the same and graphics card too. Same amount of RAM. If you don't need the Touch ID, go with the 2. Apple is still selling them on their website. The base model is 32 GB.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The mini 2 is a fine option, and you certainly don't have to get the gold one unless you're extremely desperate to buy it at the lowest price. Case in point: I got the iPad mini 2 in space gray because it was the cheapest one in great condition I could find on eBay. I was really opting for the silver, but I'm perfectly fine with the space gray (maybe not the best example since you said you hate gold and I definitely don't hate space gray, but you get the gist).

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The 3 is the most pointless update Apple has ever had.

However while not as big of a difference because both are retina, the difference in display quality between the Mini 2 and 4 is almost as extreme as the difference in the MacBook Air and rMBP.

Just like the Air the mini 2 has a good display in its own right but when compared to the 4 it's just so washed out.

That and the weight would push me towards the 4 for sure.

Oh and the 4 might be the last mini ever (please Apple nooooo.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73