Having problems reconizing a charged battery

andy n

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
If there is a forum on this I'm sorry. My wife's iPad sometimes will show the iPad dead and won't take charge. Even when it has a full battery. It won't reset and if you try I get the same thing.. Then all of sudden it turns on and runs fine and shows a full charge. Could this be hard ware or soft ware?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If there is a forum on this I'm sorry. My wife's iPad sometimes will show the iPad dead and won't take charge. Even when it has a full battery. It won't reset and if you try I get the same thing.. Then all of sudden it turns on and runs fine and shows a full charge. Could this be hard ware or soft ware?

It could be either. If you can, try putting it into recovery mode and running an iTunes restore. This will force a fresh copy of iOS to be installed and weed out a software issue. Set it up as a new device and use it for a bit to see if the problem stops. If the issue persists it's hardware.

What model of iPad are you using? How long have you had it? Apple's iPad batteries are designed to retain 80% of their original capacity for 1,000 full charge cycles. After that you're on borrowed time. 100% battery level doesn't say much when the battery doesn't have any capacity left.

andy n

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have, that is one of the first things I tried was different chargers. Thanks sometimes the obvious is the easiest to over look.

andy n

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
We have had it almost two years . Model number MGJX2LL/A. it is a Verizon version Thanks for getting back with some ideas to go about fixing the problem. I'll search the forums to read up on how to put the iPad in recovery mode