New to iPad 4 mini : advice & tips Please

BD_BB_8520

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

My father just received an iPad 4 mini as a gift, and the updating, maintenance responsibility is mine (lol). I'm pretty new to Apple products myself (just got an old MPB 13' core i5 with SSD) so I would like to ask the forum for tips & advice on how to best use the iPad 4 mini. It is the SIM less version.

Need advice on :

1. A good free downloader for YouTube. I just downloaded MacX for my MacBookPro, have not used it yet. I cannot seem to find a good site/version for the the iPad 4.

2. A good app manager for the iPad 4. I usually double click the home button, which shows me what apps are open. Then I swipe up to close them. Any advice on a different method?

3. Compared to my late 2011 MPB core i5, the iPad 4 mini feels a bit slow....is there any apps that would help me monitor efficiency of the ipad 4 mini?

4. ( I should know this by now) but how do I unlink the Photos app from the icloud account. We do not want the Photos app to be linked online for back up etc.

5. What free useful Apps do you use on your iPad 4 mini?

Thanks in advance for all the replies :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

My father just received an iPad 4 mini as a gift, and the updating, maintenance responsibility is mine (lol). I'm pretty new to Apple products myself (just got an old MPB 13' core i5 with SSD) so I would like to ask the forum for tips & advice on how to best use the iPad 4 mini. It is the SIM less version.

Need advice on :

1. A good free downloader for YouTube. I just downloaded MacX for my MacBookPro, have not used it yet. I cannot seem to find a good site/version for the the iPad 4.

2. A good app manager for the iPad 4. I usually double click the home button, which shows me what apps are open. Then I swipe up to close them. Any advice on a different method?
Why do you need to have those things installed on your 'father's" iPad, especially if you're only in charge of updating & for maintenance purposes?

3. Compared to my late 2011 MPB core i5, the iPad 4 mini feels a bit slow....is there any apps that would help me monitor efficiency of the ipad 4 mini?
Again, this appears to be your complaint and not that of your father. I recommend you teach him how to use the iPad as well as how to install any games & apps that "he" may be interested in.

4. ( I should know this by now) but how do I unlink the Photos app from the icloud account. We do not want the Photos app to be linked online for back up etc.
You said your father just received the iPad Mini 4 as a gift. I assumed it was brand new so forgive me if I was mistaken. If it was brand new when he received it, how long has he had it and when did he start taking pictures with it? If the pictures are associated with iCloud, simply go to the iCloud settings and then turn off/disable Photos/iCloud Photo Library and/or photostream.

5. What free useful Apps do you use on your iPad 4 mini?

Thanks in advance for all the replies :)
I have an iPad Pro and some of the useful app that I use are listed below.

Dropbox
OneNote
Private Tunnel
Slack
others

as for tips: https://tips.apple.com/en-us/ios/ipad

BD_BB_8520

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your replies Just_Me_D.

I want to install the downloaders etc. so that it will be easier for him to use.

It is my complaint, he has no frame of reference to compare it with. I would follow your adivce and teach him how to use it, but I do not know myself.

He received it brand new, but initial set up was done by my sister. He did not take any photos with it yet, but I transfered the photos from his phone on to it.

Thanks for your support.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to apple also and had to rethink how I manage the system. Apple is unique in many ways.

No need downloading video's, you'll only fill up the storage and you can't find them anyway. Apple associates files to applications so you want to open them via the application. So when looking for a document, open the document viewer/editor and there it is. Same with video's and pictures etc....

As suggested, get Onenote or Evernote or something, then you can "share" things you want to organize into your notes. You can also sync them to other devices.

As for slowness, turn off the back ground refresh on everything not necessary to refresh in the background. Not only will it speed up the tablet but it will greatly increase your battery life.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
One thing I would advise is getting a glass screen protector. Buy the cheapest one you find from China they're all the same and will save your screen from a drop

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
New to iPad 4 mini : advice & tips Please

Thank you for your input Soapm.

How can I turn off the background refresh?

Thanks in advance :)

Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh (once in Settings, you can also swipe down once to reveal a search bar, on top of it). Also go for 'Location Services'. Some turn that off, I personally put all apps on 'While Using' setting (because that's what more convenient for me).

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
One thing I would advise is getting a glass screen protector. Buy the cheapest one you find from China they're all the same and will save your screen from a drop

Yep. Got mine from there for 10 bucks (it took 35 business days, though). So be patient and careful.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal