iPad mini 4 horrible wifi range, how can I improve it?

MikeF808

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
iPad mini 4 horrible wifi range

I bought an iPad mini 4 a few weeks ago to replace my mini 2. Immediately after setting it up, I noticed wifi reception at a distance of more than 20 feet from the router is nearly impossible to achieve. And when it does connect, the signal will randomly lock up, even though it shows a full 3 bars on the wifi icon. I've gone through every reset process on the device itself and on the router. And when using side by side, the mini 2 (and my iPhone 6) continue to maintain a good signal at a distance, while the mini 4 remains sluggish. Is the mini 4's antenna just not as good, or could something else be going on here? FYI, my router is Asus RT-N65R.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPad mini 4 horrible wifi range

Welcome to iMore! If you're losing signal at 20 feet it sounds to me like something is wrong with the iPad, especially since your Mini 2 isn't having an issue at that same distance.

If you've already restored your device and are still experiencing issues you may want to consider exchanging it for a new one.

MikeF808

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

I took it to the Simply Mac store where I bought it. They told me they couldn't exchange it because their diagnostic tests showed everything working properly. I purchased a signal extender and placed it in the back of the house. The iPad mini 4 now connects to the EXT network created by the extender, but still won't connect strongly to the original network being broadcast from the router itself. I may need to contact Apple directly.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I took it to the Simply Mac store where I bought it. They told me they couldn't exchange it because their diagnostic tests showed everything working properly. I purchased a signal extender and placed it in the back of the house. The iPad mini 4 now connects to the EXT network created by the extender, but still won't connect strongly to the original network being broadcast from the router itself. I may need to contact Apple directly.

I would definitely contact Apple Support.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

MikeF808

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

Contacted Apple. They told me to do a factory reset through iTunes and set up as a new device just to test the wifi. If that doesn't help, I'm supposed to call back to talk about service options under my warranty. I've only had it for 3 weeks. If Simply Mac would have just exchanged it like I wanted, I may not be having to go through all of this. Anyway, the more I use it, it appears the wifi signal issue is only happening on my home network. I've done a 2 hour video streaming test on my work network the past two nights and it's never missed a beat. Still doesn't explain why this is the only device not working well on my home wifi (without the use of an extender). Otherwise, I love this thing! I'll reset through iTunes later today and go from there.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Contacted Apple. They told me to do a factory reset through iTunes and set up as a new device just to test the wifi. If that doesn't help, I'm supposed to call back to talk about service options under my warranty. I've only had it for 3 weeks. If Simply Mac would have just exchanged it like I wanted, I may not be having to go through all of this. Anyway, the more I use it, it appears the wifi signal issue is only happening on my home network. I've done a 2 hour video streaming test on my work network the past two nights and it's never missed a beat. Still doesn't explain why this is the only device not working well on my home wifi (without the use of an extender). Otherwise, I love this thing! I'll reset through iTunes later today and go from there.

Well, at least you're getting somewhere. Hopefully the hard reset does the trick. If not, it's a new iPad or a new router. I recommend an Airport Extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeF808

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

I'm starting to think it may be a router issue. I was actually looking at the Asus rt-ac68u as a replacement for my "n" unit. Never really considered an airport. Is there an advantage?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm starting to think it may be a router issue. I was actually looking at the Asus rt-ac68u as a replacement for my "n" unit. Never really considered an airport. Is there an advantage?

It's just a nice, solid router that broadcasts a good signal and is easy to set up. Just like most things made by Apple it has a premium price tag. I have a Time Capsule, which is a router with a built-in backup hard drive that backs up my MacBook, and it's the best router I've owned.

As far as Asus, I don't have any experience with their routers. If you have a range extender you will want to make sure it's compatible with any router you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeF808

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

I'm hoping I can eliminate the extender with a new router that has better coverage.

MikeF808

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

Been working on this all day. One more thing I've noticed is that when the wifi signal locks up, the wifi assist does not take over. Yet one more thing to troubleshoot.

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site

Fwiw I have just solved a similar wifi problem that had been plaguing me for months. Turned out that Comcast had switched my modem from a modem to a router/modem in order to offer xfinity hotspot to my neighbors using my internet line. I was clueless since I had the horrible wifi router disabled years ago. The signal must have interfered with my current wifi router because when I found out, and disabled this setting in my comcast account my problems miraculously vanished.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm having identical problem: wi-fi freezes on Mini4 when showing ful wi-fi strength, when iPhone 6plus in my other hand works perfectly on the same wi-fi.

Did all the resets including factory reset/ set up as new- none of these made one bit of difference. I think it's the mini itself rather than the router :-/.

/groan/

MikeF808

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I know it’s been a while, and two iPads ago, but i did eventually figure this out. It had to do with the new router I had purchased, and it’s ability to handle 2.4 and 5ghz under an identical SID. My mini 4 at the time was confused by that. Once I made separate sid’s for each band, the device was perfect. I ended up selling the extender as it was no longer necessary. Since then, I’ve gone on to an iPad Air 2, and now iPad Pro 10.5. Have loved both!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro