iPad Mini 2 vs Galaxy Tab S Decision

SomeCallMeCoach

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,
debating between the iPad Mini 2 or a Samsung Tablet, either the Pro 8.4 or S 8.4.

What are the benefits of the iPad over the other 2? I have an iPhone 5 so I'm familiar with iOS and the app store, which is one thing that makes me lean towards the iPad, plus I had a first gen iPad back when.
Mostly I'm wondering if the $120 price jump between the tab pro at $280 to the iPad Mini 2 64GB at $399 is worth it, or if the money saved would be noticeable in tablet performance?'

Primary uses: browsing the web, reading books, netflix/hulu/etc, occasional game or two, but it's primarily a media consumption device

Thanks!

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have both samsung and iOS Devices (galaxy S5, tab pro 10.1, ipad mini 2, ipod touch 5th gen) .

Benefits of a tab pro/S:

Better quality screen
SD card memory expansion
Multi-window (two apps at the same time)
More customisable
Universal Remote control
Better aspect ratio for watching movies

Benefits of an ipad mini:

Better battery life (3-4 hours longer on a single charge)

Will be supported (ios updates) for longer

Thousands of Tablet specific apps available via the app store

It depends on what apps you want but generally the app store has a wider variety of apps available than the play store.

Wider selection of movies and TV shows to purchase.

Better aspect ratio for reading and Web browsing.

Better integration with your iPhone, including handoff and continuity.

In terms of performance I'd say that the iPad mini and tab pro/s will be very similar. The mini may be a little smoother but there won't be much in it. If you want it mainly for watching videos either the tab pro or S will be better because the aspect ratio is better for that. The iPad being 4:3 is better for reading and Web browsing.

Ultimately both are great devices and will perform well so whichever one you choose I don't think you will be disappointed.

Last edited:

Rieder59

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Two weeks ago I sold my beloved Samsung Tab 3 8" and got the Ipad Mini 2 with Retina Display. I'd seen a friends iPad 3 a year or so back and wanted one ever since. For me the size was about the same, the iPad 2 is close to the iPad Air Processor wise. Really good camera, fast, plenty of apps and accessories. I was sad to see my Samsung go but after 2 weeks with the iPad I know I made the right choice. Plus, with the iPad Mini 3 out I see the 2 going out of stock a lot of places and the price difference is only the fingerprint detection, I can live without that.

I went for the 16GB but Friday I have a RavPower 5 in 1 coming, USB Port for Keys and external Drives, SD Port, Wi Fi and NAS Streaming, built in charger with its own battery and only ?29.99. I can stream to the iPad and 4 other devices at the same time. Put more pictures and music on a USB Stick and/or my USB powered external HDD (only small WD version) and use a free program called Airstor for the iPad. The RavPower (roughly the size of an iPhone) can create it's own hotspot so it doesn't need the network/internet when I'm out taking pics with the club I belong to or myself.

For me, I made the best choice. I looked at all the iPads and the mini 2 worked with my budget and needs. Hope you reach the right decision.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Go for the iPad... I have never seen a laggier tablet than a Samsung Galaxy Tab S...And that is on a personal trial...

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Go for the iPad... I have never seen a laggier tablet than a Samsung Galaxy Tab S...And that is on a personal trial...

The tab s isn't that laggy like you or anybody else wants to make it out to be ..... I had one and I wanted something more then to watch movies which is why I have an iPad but if media consumption is the main thing the tab S is the best tablet imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The tab s isn't that laggy like you or anybody else wants to make it out to be ..... I had one and I wanted something more then to watch movies which is why I have an iPad but if media consumption is the main thing the tab S is the best tablet imo

To each his own, but I feel the Touchwiz version of Android just feels so overlaid with too much interface elements that just getting all of it to render is really taxing on the processor. If I were to go for an Android tablet I would go Nexus 7 or 9, or else just get an iPad. Nothing is smoother than iOS still even after many improvements on Android and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
To each his own, but I feel the Touchwiz version of Android just feels so overlaid with too much interface elements that just getting all of it to render is really taxing on the processor. If I were to go for an Android tablet I would go Nexus 7 or 9, or else just get an iPad. Nothing is smoother than iOS still even after many improvements on Android and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The note 4 is quite smooth just like iOS .... So is the nexus line

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The note 4 is quite smooth just like iOS .... So is the nexus line

It is because of a faster processor and more RAM, but I just wished it was more resourceful in using those things for more things other than just to reduce lag...

If Samsung has to have the latest Snapdragon processor and still suffer a little bit of lag it defeats the whole purpose of having such a fast processor in the first place.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It is because of a faster processor and more RAM, but I just wished it was more resourceful in using those things for more things other than just to reduce lag...

If Samsung has to have the latest Snapdragon processor and still suffer a little bit of lag it defeats the whole purpose of having such a fast processor in the first place.

So you want them to purposely put in slower processors for the proving a point ? The note 3 and 4 run fine and if I've bought s5 I would comment on that but I won't. The nexus 5 I also had and is smooth as well. I'm not going to argue with fanboys but to call out android like its laggy is a lie. Yeah Samsung might lag a bit specially with the Verizon variant of the note 4 ( had t-mobile and now Verizon note 4 and can tell a difference) but for the most part is pretty smooth as iOS is ... You also have never tried a nexus device recently... Samsung =\= Android by the way

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So you want them to purposely put in slower processors for the proving a point ? The note 3 and 4 run fine and if I've bought s5 I would comment on that but I won't. The nexus 5 I also had and is smooth as well. I'm not going to argue with fanboys but to call out android like its laggy is a lie. Yeah Samsung might lag a bit specially with the Verizon variant of the note 4 ( had t-mobile and now Verizon note 4 and can tell a difference) but for the most part is pretty smooth as iOS is ... You also have never tried a nexus device recently... Samsung =\= Android by the way

I had a Nexus 5 and it did lag, and I have a Oneplus-one now and it lagged too. I wouldn't say it's specifically confined to Samsung's devices per se.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The nexus 5 doesn't lag....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Given the fact that most apps are now optimized for this year's flagships, it's going to lag on the last year's tech of Snapdragon 800 on the Nexus 5 as opposed to flying on a Snapdragon 801 on the HTC one M8 or, if you want a more exotic choice, the Oneplus-one.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Given the fact that most apps are now optimized for this year's flagships, it's going to lag on the last year's tech of Snapdragon 800 on the Nexus 5 as opposed to flying on a Snapdragon 801 on the HTC one M8 or, if you want a more exotic choice, the Oneplus-one.

Lol ....the nexus 5 might have the snapdragon 800 cpu but it doesn't lag period ...the snapdragon 801 is really a minor spec upgrade in clock speed but with the same andreno 330 gpu . The snapdragon 805 is a better comparison which is in the note 4 and nexus 6 which is clocked at 2.7 ghz and the new Andreno 420 gpu or whatever it's called. The snapdragon 800 cpu is fine and with it having no skin it will be for a while.

Using your theory wouldn't the iPhone 5s and iPad Air be obsolete then ?

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,
debating between the iPad Mini 2 or a Samsung Tablet, either the Pro 8.4 or S 8.4.

What are the benefits of the iPad over the other 2? I have an iPhone 5 so I'm familiar with iOS and the app store, which is one thing that makes me lean towards the iPad, plus I had a first gen iPad back when.
Mostly I'm wondering if the $120 price jump between the tab pro at $280 to the iPad Mini 2 64GB at $399 is worth it, or if the money saved would be noticeable in tablet performance?'

Primary uses: browsing the web, reading books, netflix/hulu/etc, occasional game or two, but it's primarily a media consumption device

Thanks!

iPad is the much better all around device. They nailed it with the 4:3 screen ratio. Leveno (I think it's them ) is making an iPad knock off, to include a 4:3 screen.

I've tried other people's Android tablets, and when used in portrait mode, the screen is way too narrow. Yes, when watching movies on an iPad i have black bars, but so what ? I also have a taller screen in landscape mode.

I also wish to apologize for the two that derailed this thread. Personally, I won't buy Samsung products for ethical and political reasons. I've always used HTC. For TV I liked Pioneer, but we have Samsung to thank for knocking them out of the TV market by stealing patents and tying it up in court for too many years.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
iPad is the much better all around device. They nailed it with the 4:3 screen ratio. Leveno (I think it's them ) is making an iPad knock off, to include a 4:3 screen.

I've tried other people's Android tablets, and when used in portrait mode, the screen is way too narrow. Yes, when watching movies on an iPad i have black bars, but so what ? I also have a taller screen in landscape mode.

I also wish to apologize for the two that derailed this thread. Personally, I won't buy Samsung products for ethical and political reasons. I've always used HTC. For TV I liked Pioneer, but we have Samsung to thank for knocking them out of the TV market by stealing patents and tying it up in court for too many years.

You won't buy Samsung for ethical reasons yet you buy Apple ? Or anything made in China ?

I don't love 4:3 aspect ratio and I deal with it because I like the apps on iPad vs android for tablets

Lightingguy55

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Tab 7.0, mostly liked it, good device to read on, lousy support from Samsung. They essentially pulled the plug on this device after 18 months and it got no more updates. That became a problem when updated Google apps crashed repeatedly (Maps and Chrome) I suspect due to an older OS (ICS). I mean, come on guys, these are Google apps on a Google OS, except that Samsung modified it.

As well, Kies, the Samsung backup software, is the worst piece of crap software to use on this side of the universe. It would never successfully backup the device.

OTOH, my 1st generation Mini will see at least one more iOS update, even though it doesn't need it, as Apple does support its products. Samsung just orphans the older stuff when they release new products.

And for all the quirks with iTunes, it does a great job at backing up, updating and restoring devices. Pretty flawless in most of my experiences.

I'll never go back to Samsung.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Tab 7.0, mostly liked it, good device to read on, lousy support from Samsung. They essentially pulled the plug on this device after 18 months and it got no more updates. That became a problem when updated Google apps crashed repeatedly (Maps and Chrome) I suspect due to an older OS (ICS). I mean, come on guys, these are Google apps on a Google OS, except that Samsung modified it.

As well, Kies, the Samsung backup software, is the worst piece of crap software to use on this side of the universe. It would never successfully backup the device.

OTOH, my 1st generation Mini will see at least one more iOS update, even though it doesn't need it, as Apple does support its products. Samsung just orphans the older stuff when they release new products.

And for all the quirks with iTunes, it does a great job at backing up, updating and restoring devices. Pretty flawless in most of my experiences.

I'll never go back to Samsung.

18 months is pretty standard in the android world. They also actually test them before releasing them so less chances of screw ups .yeah the mini might have iOS 8 on it but how fluid is it?

Your also making these opinions on a budget tablet and not say the tab s line or the pro line .

I love my note 4 and considered an iPhone and have dabbed with Samsung tablets but prefer iPads with its superior apps . If all your doing is media consumption I would just take the Samsung tablet since it does have a 16:10 aspect ratio

Lightingguy55

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The Tab 7.0 was the top of the line for Samsung in that size at the time and was not a budget tablet, priced just over $300. Which is why I was pissed off at them for pulling the upgrade plug so quickly. 18 mos. is just total BS.

My Mini runs fine on iOS 8.1.1, possibly a tad slower at times then under 7 and I doubt I'll update beyond 8.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The Tab 7.0 was the top of the line for Samsung in that size at the time and was not a budget tablet, priced just over $300. Which is why I was pissed off at them for pulling the upgrade plug so quickly. 18 mos. is just total BS.

My Mini runs fine on iOS 8.1.1, possibly a tad slower at times then under 7 and I doubt I'll update beyond 8.

How is it BS? Except for nexus devices I think most get updates for around that long . Hmm the HTC m7 is around 17 months old and I am guessing its last update is the android 5.0 lollipop update. Samsung last updated the s2 skyrocket up to android 4.1.2 jelly bean which was around late last year so around 20-22 months ? If you want the latest omg I need the latest updates get a nexus device. As far as the tab s goes it should get updates like to android 5.0 and probably 5.1 as well

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen