Which is the better buy for YOU?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The new iPad Mini 3 and the original iPad Air are now the same price - $399. Which is the better buy for you - The smaller, but newest iPad Mini or the larger, but older iPad Air?

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
If I had to choose between the Mini 3 and the OG Air I would definitely pick the Mini 3. Gold + Touch ID = awesome sauce! However I'm getting an iPad Air 2 so I guess it doesn't matter :p

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
The new iPad Mini 3 and the original iPad Air are now the same price - $399. Which is the better buy for you - The smaller, but newest iPad Mini or the larger, but older iPad Air?

I would say the Mini 3 for sure. Still a great price for the 1st gen Air though. Touch ID on the Mini and the new 8X chip won me over.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'd say neither. If I was buying a new ipad, it'd be the Air 2. Probably 64gb LTE.

However, the best value appears to be the ipad mini 2. I'd get that over the two choices in your OP. A lot depends on what you'll find on discount. That's a lot to have in the lineup and these things will be discounted come holiday season by everyone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would say the Mini 3 for sure. Still a great price for the 1st gen Air though. Touch ID on the Mini and the new 8X chip won me over.

I think you nailed mentioning the CPU and Touch ID capabilities. For many, those will be deal breakers.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I think you nailed mentioning the CPU and Touch ID capabilities. For many, those will be deal breakers.

Oh no! According to the Apple compare page that just went live:
iPad - Compare iPad Models - Apple Store (U.S.)

The mini 3 does not have the A8X and only the A7. So the only upgrade to the Mini 3 is really just Touch ID. not sure for solely that purpose it is worth it for the extra $100 price tag. The Mini 2 is EXACTLY the same minus TouchID...
This is very disappointing, you can no longer get the highest end tech in the smaller package like you could previously. I haul around my MBA when I need to. I prefer smaller tablets.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The Mini 3 is a ripoff. The same everything as the Mini 2 but adds a Touch ID sensor. Air 2 if I decide to upgrade.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that the A8X needs more battery power and/or more thermal space and so wouldn't work well in the mini.

Seems legit, but Apple could have made it happen if they thought it would sell more with it. Most people will just say "Hey the next generation iPad Mini, it's new... it must be better, I'll take two!"

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If I had to pick between the two, it would be the smaller but newer iPad Mini 3 purely for longevity of the device>

My iPad 2 is on its last legs, so i'm going to get an iPad Air 2 to replace it. Definitely gold to match my iPhone too I think! :)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh no! According to the Apple compare page that just went live:
iPad - Compare iPad Models - Apple Store (U.S.)

The mini 3 does not have the A8X and only the A7. So the only upgrade to the Mini 3 is really just Touch ID. not sure for solely that purpose it is worth it for the extra $100 price tag. The Mini 2 is EXACTLY the same minus TouchID...
This is very disappointing, you can no longer get the highest end tech in the smaller package like you could previously. I haul around my MBA when I need to. I prefer smaller tablets.

Wow...this just made my decision easier. That's terrible

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If I had to pick between the two, it would be the smaller but newer iPad Mini 3 purely for longevity of the device>

My iPad 2 is on its last legs, so i'm going to get an iPad Air 2 to replace it. Definitely gold to match my iPhone too I think! :)

That might make sense, but there are no functional differences between the two devices, save the TouchID feature. The device specs are identical between the iPad Mini 2 and the iPad Mini 3. IMHO, it’s a moot issue.

The other differences, albeit minor are:
  • There is no 32GB version of iPad Mini 3.
  • The 64GB and 128GB versions of iPad Mini 3 are $100 cheaper than the comparable versions of the iPad Mini 2 were last year.
  • The 64GB and 128GB versions of the iPad Mini 2 are no longer available.
  • The Color options (Space Gray, Silver and Gold) for the iPad Mini 3.
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt....apple.com%2Fipad%2Fcompare%2F&token=JDLC-1Zc

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
My guess is that the A8X needs more battery power and/or more thermal space and so wouldn't work well in the mini.

Even so there's the plain A8. It doesn't seem apple intended to update it period. Buying the iPad mini 2 instead seems to be the best value. Especially a refurb or discounted one. If you want a mini that is.

And the air 2 if you want the bigger size.

Sakroz

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I think either Apple don't want iPad mini eating iPhone 6+ sales or they intend to discontinue iPad mini later on. Or it's just another unexplainable Apple logic.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods