my rMini is faster than my Mini... with one exception!

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
If I go into Settings, then General, then Usage, my original iPad mini will load and display the list of apps and their respective sizes MUCH faster than my new iPad mini with Retina. They both have the same amount of apps installed on them, so what gives?

The difference is not trivial - my original iPad mini will display the list of apps in around 12 seconds. My iPad mini with Retina will take 45-48 seconds!

Is this normal? I don't have any other 64-bit iOS devices, so I am not sure if this also happens with the iPhone 5S when compared to the iPhone 5 or 5C, or the iPad Air, when compared to the iPad 4. In all other respects, my rMini is faster than my original iPad mini. It even loads the Usage page faster than my original mini, but then takes extra time, a LOT of extra time, to load and display the list of apps.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have my original Mini any more because I sold it to buy the Retina Mini. I have noticed that it does take a long time for the list to show up.

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't have my original Mini any more because I sold it to buy the Retina Mini. I have noticed that it does take a long time for the list to show up.

Hmmm. I wonder if the 64-bit system has anything to do with the slowdown, or if it's something that just affects the rMini. Thanks for the feedback! :)

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. I wonder if the 64-bit system has anything to do with the slowdown, or if it's something that just affects the rMini. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Yea I tried it on my 5s and it took like 40 sec. I never notice it. Until I read ur post. I just did it now

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Yea I tried it on my 5s and it took like 40 sec. I never notice it. Until I read ur post. I just did it now

Thanks for testing! :) I only noticed it because I am restoring my old iPad mini to hand down to a family member, and the difference in loading time between the two was so obvious...

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
If I go into Settings, then General, then Usage, my original iPad mini will load and display the list of apps and their respective sizes MUCH faster than my new iPad mini with Retina. They both have the same amount of apps installed on them, so what gives?

The difference is not trivial - my original iPad mini will display the list of apps in around 12 seconds. My iPad mini with Retina will take 45-48 seconds!

Is this normal? I don't have any other 64-bit iOS devices, so I am not sure if this also happens with the iPhone 5S when compared to the iPhone 5 or 5C, or the iPad Air, when compared to the iPad 4. In all other respects, my rMini is faster than my original iPad mini. It even loads the Usage page faster than my original mini, but then takes extra time, a LOT of extra time, to load and display the list of apps.

I have recently got an iPad Air for Christmas replacing my iPad 2. When comparing the two side by side after restoring all my media and apps ect, I did notice that my iPad Air was taking ages to populate the list compared to my iPad 2 and also my iPhone 5.

The reason behind this is yet to be discovered.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have recently got an iPad Air for Christmas replacing my iPad 2. When comparing the two side by side after restoring all my media and apps ect, I did notice that my iPad Air was taking ages to populate the list compared to my iPad 2 and also my iPhone 5.

The reason behind this is yet to be discovered.

Spotlight was probably indexing nonce Spotlight is done I bet you'll find your iPad Air very very speedy.

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Spotlight was probably indexing nonce Spotlight is done I bet you'll find your iPad Air very very speedy.

Nope. Not in my case - my iPad mini with Retina remains S-L-O-W when populating that list. I suspect it has something to do with the 64-bit chip and how iOS integrates with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Not in my case - my iPad mini with Retina remains S-L-O-W when populating that list. I suspect it has something to do with the 64-bit chip and how iOS integrates with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It doesn't matter how much time goes by, it's still slow at doing this one thing.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
64 bit does not mean a system is faster, it means it can address more memory, actually in many cases a 32 bit program will be faster than its 64 bit counterpart. Without getting too technical processors are far more complex today than when we were putting about on a 4mhz intel and could say well 8mhz is definitely faster, same is true of 32 bit to 64 bit, in fact, 64 bit variant is often slower until you have some serious software optimization or robust applications, it really comes into play when you require more parallelism or applications that require greater ram usage and this is not the case on mobile platforms of today. Your phone is not a server and you aren't trying to render Avatar on it, so for the foreseeable future unless you change how we use mobile devices 64bit is marketing.

The biggest usage I can see is speech recognition at the moment, the finger print modeling and the facial recognition and biometrics security that we will see in future. Actual applications like uhm liking listing your apps in a GUI , yeah sorry, 64 bit makes no difference and could cause slow down in as way general usage applications.

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
64 bit does not mean a system is faster, it means it can address more memory, actually in many cases a 32 bit program will be faster than its 64 bit counterpart. Without getting too technical processors are far more complex today than when we were putting about on a 4mhz intel and could say well 8mhz is definitely faster, same is true of 32 bit to 64 bit, in fact, 64 bit variant is often slower until you have some serious software optimization or robust applications, it really comes into play when you require more parallelism or applications that require greater ram usage and this is not the case on mobile platforms of today. Your phone is not a server and you aren't trying to render Avatar on it, so for the foreseeable future unless you change how we use mobile devices 64bit is marketing.

The biggest usage I can see is speech recognition at the moment, the finger print modeling and the facial recognition and biometrics security that we will see in future. Actual applications like uhm liking listing your apps in a GUI , yeah sorry, 64 bit makes no difference and could cause slow down in as way general usage applications.

Interesting, but suspecting little "glitches" like this was one of the reasons why I chose an iPhone 5C for my phone, when I upgraded last year. I need my phone to run reliably most of all, because for me it's still mostly a phone and Internet device. While it will also run games and other processor-intensive tasks, those are of least importance to me *on my phone*. My tablet is a different kettle of fish, and I am quite happy to put up with a few quirks on my rMini. In fact, I am happy to have the 64-bit chip on my iPad mini because I intend to keep it for much longer than my iPhone.

I will pick performance over reliability with my iPad, but my iPhone is the opposite - I will choose reliability over anything else. Because it's a phone first, and I need it to work. Period.

The good news is that I have both, and they compliment each other perfectly. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR