Question About Storage on rMini

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I think I'm moving from Android to iOS. Not getting into an Android v. iOS debate, I'm a huge fan of both platforms, I'm mostly switching due to lackluster camera options on Android and the 5S provides such a great camera experience, mixed in with editing software, it's perfect for me and my growing family. I'm one of those people that only uses a phone for picture taking. I picked up a used 32gb 5S and a used 16gb rMini on Swappa to help me make the leap. Most of my issue revolves around the storage of the rMini.

Anyway, on to the question. It's been awhile since I've been on iOS (~1 year) and there are a couple things that I could use some clarification on. I don't intend on putting much, if any, music on my iPad. I'm a Pandora, Google Music guy, and I'm sure I'll jump on the iTunes Radio bandwagon. So music isn't a worry. I play a few games, DeadTrigger, GTA series, and some other just quick time wasters like some of the Angry Birds. I have roughly 7gb of apps and whatnot on my Moto X, and that's all I need for my phone.

As stated above, photos/video is of the most importance to me. I don't plan on taking many pictures with the iPad, but rather sync my iPhone with it so that it would be even easier to edit, make videos, and whatnot. I also haven't had a 16gb product in quite some time, but I'm a little worried about storage. I HATE having to micromanage, but the deal on the iPad saved me about $220 over a 32gb from Apple.

Is this enough storage for my usage?

How easy is it to sync a video or pic to the iPad, edit it, and store it in the cloud?

Can you stream movies/shows from iTunes or do they have to be downloaded to the device? I have unlimited data and I pay for hotspot, so streaming connected to my phone wouldn't be an issue.

What about books? If I buy them from the store, do they take up much space or can you swap them back and forth in the cloud, saving space on your device?

Thanks, and sorry if this question is a little all over the place.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
  • Yes.
  • Very easy.
  • No. Although you can with HomeSharing but you will need a computer for that.
  • Books don't take up that much space.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I just hate having to micromanage storage. I had to do it on my DNA (which is 16gb) and it was a huge pain in the ****. I think 32gb on the phone is fine for me, but I'm just worried I'll run out of space on the iPad and have to move things around.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I just hate having to micromanage storage. I had to do it on my DNA (which is 16gb) and it was a huge pain in the ****. I think 32gb on the phone is fine for me, but I'm just worried I'll run out of space on the iPad and have to move things around.

With what you explained in the first post, it looks like 16 GB will be sufficient. Good luck. :)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
With what you explained in the first post, it looks like 16 GB will be sufficient. Good luck. :)

Thanks again! I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work, looks like I'll just sell it and pick up a 32gb. Not like the market is weak for Apple products!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I do have another question. If I take pics on the iPhone, do I need to use Air Drop to get them on my iPad or do they automagically appear there? Do we have to be on the same Wi-Fi? Just wondering how all of this works. Thanks!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you're on PhotoStream, you don't actually have to be on the same wifi network. Just as long as each device is on wifi, they sync. So if someone takes pics on the iPad mini and you haven't been on wifi all day on your 5S and you happen to stop at a Starbucks on your way home and connect to wifi, the photostream will start to sync those photos onto your 5S.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
And remember, using Photostream DOES use up space on the iPad/iPhone. You can see how much space it used in Settings/General/Usage. Under storage, wait a little and you will see the usage of everything on the iPad show there. It will be listed under photos.

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again! I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work, looks like I'll just sell it and pick up a 32gb. Not like the market is weak for Apple products!

Also, there will only be about 13GB of space on the iPad. It's just in the way that space is actually calculated and how that same space is advertised, bits vs. bytes. One sounds better for marketing because it APPEARS to be bigger. On a 32GB model, there is 27.4GB of space.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Also, there will only be about 13GB of space on the iPad. It's just in the way that space is actually calculated and how that same space is advertised, bits vs. bytes. One sounds better for marketing because it APPEARS to be bigger. On a 32GB model, there is 27.4GB of space.

That's what I'm worried about. I know it's not actually 16gb due to the OS taking up some space. Toss a couple of decent games, a movie or two, and some pics/videos and I'll be almost full.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That's what I'm worried about. I know it's not actually 16gb due to the OS taking up some space. Toss a couple of decent games, a movie or two, and some pics/videos and I'll be almost full.

I personally think you're better off with a 32GB based on what I've read from you.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I personally think you're better off with a 32GB based on what I've read from you.

I kind of think I am, too. The deal was pretty good on a barely used 16gb with the black leather Smart Case. So I figure worst case scenario is I sell the 16gb and toss another $100 and get the 32gb. It's not the end of the world.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner