Pdfs and textbooks readability on the rMini?

VanKuchen

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
So when i google if pdfs are readable on the mini, Google comes up with a lot of results stating that if the mini had a retina display it would be an ok pdf/textbook reader. Of course it doesn't have as much screen real estate as its larger brother but I'm wondering if anybody has had a mini 2 and an air and found the mini sufficient for reading textbook pdfs? I have the Nexus 7 right now and it just doesn't suffice for that purpose but it's true that the mini's 4:3 aspect ratio is better for reading.

I went to the local store yesterday and I gotta say I'm a huge fan of the landscape orientation, and when surfing on the Air in Landscape i found the text size too big on many websites, but I didn't have the possibility to try out a pdf on the Mini sadly. Has anybody made experiences with the Mini for educational purposes? I'm still kind of drawn to the idea of a Mini and comparing to my Nexus 7 the Mini must be an ok choice for reading in landscape mode. What do you guys think?

VanKuchen

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I went to my local store today and tried a pdf file on both and while I can read perfectly on the mini's screen i still prefer the Air. I think it's just more comfortable to read on the air because of the slightly bigger text and also less zooming. But that's just a matter of personal preference I guess. But anyway i could finally settle for the Air ;-)

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So when i google if pdfs are readable on the mini, Google comes up with a lot of results stating that if the mini had a retina display it would be an ok pdf/textbook reader. Of course it doesn't have as much screen real estate as its larger brother but I'm wondering if anybody has had a mini 2 and an air and found the mini sufficient for reading textbook pdfs? I have the Nexus 7 right now and it just doesn't suffice for that purpose but it's true that the mini's 4:3 aspect ratio is better for reading.

I went to the local store yesterday and I gotta say I'm a huge fan of the landscape orientation, and when surfing on the Air in Landscape i found the text size too big on many websites, but I didn't have the possibility to try out a pdf on the Mini sadly. Has anybody made experiences with the Mini for educational purposes? I'm still kind of drawn to the idea of a Mini and comparing to my Nexus 7 the Mini must be an ok choice for reading in landscape mode. What do you guys think?

Either one would be great. It comes down to your preference...how much does size matter to you (he he he)?

I read many PDFs on the original mini, and loved it. I found the critiques of the screen a little overblown (unreadable! Pixelated! - like they were dot-matrix or something). Then again, my eyes are closer to age 40 than 20, so that's relevant- My x-Ray vision days have passed. Did this for a year, all the while planning to get retina mini at release.

Portability was great- and especially for student reading, the best device is the one you HAVE with you wherever you might get some time to read. I found the iPad 3 too heavy to lug around, so it started not coming with me to all the placed I really wanted it to. In contrast- the mini goes EVERYWHERE - like wallet. And iPhone. Having said that, I started to feel the size crunch after reading a lot- this bugged me more as the year went on.

So, when the Air came out before the retina minis did, I tried it. After a couple of weeks with the Air, I have no plans to go back to the mini size. The mini was perfect compared to the older, heavier iPads - so it was the right choice for me for the last year. The Air hits the sweet spot: lighter, thinner, WAAAYYY more readable, and portable enough to make me forget about the mini.

Landscape mode IS much better than portrait- you could be very happy with this on the miniR. My best advice is to try one now- and buy from Apple so an exchange or return will be simple if you decide to swap for the other.

Good luck- you can't go wrong either way - they're both amazing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2