Why Apple let me down with the retina mini

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
When the iPad mini 1st generation was first announced, I thought the screen did look washed out. Was I disappointed? No because I knew it wasn't retina. Coming from a iPad 3, I was use to the color popping retina screen. It was a little tough to step back in screen quality for the mini but I loved the portability of the iPad mini. I did buy a Att iPad mini and became a big fan. I always kept telling myself that this would be the best tablet on the market once it came with that color popping retina display. Then came October 2013, two new iPads were announced including the mini with retina display. I kept thinking how will I decide between the two since the Air was so light. Since the Air was released first, I decided to buy that. I was ready for retina screen iPad now and didn't regret the purchase. Then with the mini with retina soft launching, I decided to buy that too. I knew I had space for a mini and Air in my life.... until I saw this washed out mini retina screen. I thought to myself this looks just like last years screen but just clearer. I was very upset as I felt Apple cut corners with this display. It's the worst retina screen Apple ever made. People say that it's not a flag ship device so it's ok. It's a retina iPad with all the latest processors and specs. Sorry but it's a flagship device. I was just very bummed as I was waiting for this exact iPad for one year to just be disappointed in the quality of this "retina display". So disappointed, I no longer care to sport two iPads and just want my money back.

I love Apple to death. I buy two iPhones at lunch every year. Most years I buy two iPads at launch. I spend too much money on a Apple products but it puts a smile on mine and wife's face so it's worth it. I know Apple is a great company and most product are the best in their category on the market. This was just my rant of why Apple let me down. I pay premium prices for their products and I expect quality and greatness. Just with this retina mini, I felt like I was short changed. Most people wont know the difference but most previous retina iPad users notice it as soon as they pick up. I'm betting we get the retina iPad mini display we have all been waiting for... next year.

Thanks for reading.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Garz, you've been around iMore for quite a while, my friend, and your opinion, at least in my regard, is taken seriously. I wonder if that is the real reason for Apple's alleged "quiet release" of the rMini. If so, they should have waited until they got it right before releasing it. I will definitely be looking to see for myself how the rMini's screen look. Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion, sir...:)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Garz, you've been around iMore for quite a while, my friend, and your opinion, at least in my regard, is taken seriously. I wonder if that is the real reason for Apple's alleged "quiet release" of the rMini. If so, they should have waited until they got it right before releasing it. I will definitely be looking to see for myself how the rMini's screen look. Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion, sir...:)

Dont get me wrong. It's still a great device. Much better than it was last year. But this wasn't the retina screen that I would have expected. Especially from the best tech company in the world, Apple. This device will still suit millions just fine.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Dont get me wrong. It's still a great device. Much better than it was last year. But this wasn't the retina screen that I would have expected. Especially from the best tech company in the world, Apple. This device will still suit millions just fine.

I understand...:)

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I completely understand, as I purchased both the iPad Air and the Retina iPad Mini. I too, expected a better screen. However, the screen is still very nice, just not as nice as it should be. I wanted a smaller tablet as well as the full size, and as it stands, the Retina iPad Mini's screen is at least good, and it's much faster than the previous version. Also, from what I've seen, it's still the best 8" tablet on the market. I'm still happy with mine, but again, I understand your disappointment.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Do you prefer the ipad air then?

Yes I do. I really like the portability of the mini and that's why last year I switched to the mini. I leave the house with my iPad 5 days a week. I could have made room for both in my lifestyle. Since the Air is pretty darn light now, it will do just fine.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I completely understand, as I purchased both the iPad Air and the Retina iPad Mini. I too, expected a better screen. However, the screen is still very nice, just not as nice as it should be. I wanted a smaller tablet as well as the full size, and as it stands, the Retina iPad Mini's screen is at least good, and it's much faster than the previous version. Also, from what I've seen, it's still the best 8" tablet on the market. I'm still happy with mine, but again, I understand your disappointment.

And I understand your point too. Nothing wrong with you keeping it. It's still the best small tablet on the market.

toemasuxsempai

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
When the iPad mini 1st generation was first announced, I thought the screen did look washed out. Was I disappointed? No because I knew it wasn't retina. Coming from a iPad 3, I was use to the color popping retina screen. It was a little tough to step back in screen quality for the mini but I loved the portability of the iPad mini. I did buy a Att iPad mini and became a big fan. I always kept telling myself that this would be the best tablet on the market once it came with that color popping retina display. Then came October 2013, two new iPads were announced including the mini with retina display. I kept thinking how will I decide between the two since the Air was so light. Since the Air was released first, I decided to buy that. I was ready for retina screen iPad now and didn't regret the purchase. Then with the mini with retina soft launching, I decided to buy that too. I knew I had space for a mini and Air in my life.... until I saw this washed out mini retina screen. I thought to myself this looks just like last years screen but just clearer. I was very upset as I felt Apple cut corners with this display. It's the worst retina screen Apple ever made. People say that it's not a flag ship device so it's ok. It's a retina iPad with all the latest processors and specs. Sorry but it's a flagship device. I was just very bummed as I was waiting for this exact iPad for one year to just be disappointed in the quality of this "retina display". So disappointed, I no longer care to sport two iPads and just want my money back.

I love Apple to death. I buy two iPhones at lunch every year. Most years I buy two iPads at launch. I spend too much money on a Apple products but it puts a smile on mine and wife's face so it's worth it. I know Apple is a great company and most product are the best in their category on the market. This was just my rant of why Apple let me down. I pay premium prices for their products and I expect quality and greatness. Just with this retina mini, I felt like I was short changed. Most people wont know the difference but most previous retina iPad users notice it as soon as they pick up. I'm betting we get the retina iPad mini display we have all been waiting for... next year.

Thanks for reading.

Please post pics comparing both device and color comparisons. I've yet to find a web site that has actually done a series of comparisons to back up their claim on the so called "washed out" color range. We've seen the "data" but no physically comparisons.

ios4ever

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I still think I got a great Product.. it's Great. Perhaps you just do heavier Graphics type work. I wouldn't trade my RMini for anything

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Please post pics comparing both device and color comparisons. I've yet to find a web site that has actually done a series of comparisons to back up their claim on the so called "washed out" color range. We've seen the "data" but no physically comparisons.

Ill be honest, with me having a new born baby I won't be taking that time. Rene typed a article about this on iMore home page this past week.

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
This is interesting.

Last year i tried to love the Mini, but one thing held me back, the SPEED. It was noticeably slow and thought that i would wait for the next gen.

Some people actually upgrade to the rMini for the speed instead for the screen just like i am and i think the 2 years processors upgrade is really worth it.

The only thing i don't like is when i hold the mini in portrait, the bottom left screen is noticeably yellower compare to the right bottom side. But i think i'll do fine.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'll just echo what Garz said. I've been looking forward to the rMini and really tried to accept it. It is very sharp. Speedy. A great upgrade. But the colors are washed out a bit. Contrast is off as I've had problems reading it. The cellular one was ever so slightly more in weight that I found myself resting it on my lap which is too far away for the smaller screen.

I exchanged for Air and tried a smartcover. That's what I've been missing. I'll probably get a shell for back from belkin.

But yeah wow. What a change. Comics are easier to read. Everything pops. Sounds are louder. Mags are no problem. I'll just make it work for me. It's that good.

Best of all I don't have this sense of disappointment or compromise. That was bugging me with the rMini. And for the future, a larger iPhone will make the full size iPad make more sense with no need for a mini.

Last edited:

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I suppose there's no point in arguing over taste or trying to justify personal feelings... which is why I will just say that I don't share your sentiments towards the ipad mini. Like not at all. ;) I myself have been using the original Mini for a year and upgraded a couple of days ago and am absolutely psyched with the whole thing. To me it is a stunning display, absolute eye candy, and it is beyond me how people can bemoan a 'washed out' display. I mean come on, what does that even mean! :cool:

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Garz- first, congrats on your little guy!

Second, I respect and appreciate your post. A lot. Unlike some of the screen-washout threads, you have actually used both side-by side- with added compare/ contrast to original mini.

I was waiting for miniR for the same reasons you were. I tried the Air because it was *there* - and love it. Although I have never looked back, I still very much appreciate you sharing your experience. Hearing about your experience will save me from the magnetic pull of Apple Store and temptation to "just go look" when I am already in the mall for holiday stuff.

Thanks so much for a clear, strong (yet un-emotional), informative and insightful post. It's posts like yours that help to make iMore as great as it is. So again, thank you!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well just like with last years mini this years sacrifices are made so they can "increase" it for next years model and lure people in to buy it. I agree with the price you are paying for these there is no excuse for this. Will it sell? yes just like the original mini did but that doesn't mean apple should have taken the easy road. Maybe next years retina mini will get it right.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Garz
Thank you for your input. I don't won the original mini but I do own the air and the new RdMini.

Honestly I haven't found issues with washed out colors. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention. I have found others but I'm going to look for what you said to see if there is a difference on my devices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox