Is Apple's iPad Mini Retina display problem serious?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
There's no issues here that haven't always been present with the first Mini. The Mini retina is a big improvement and stellar upgrade from the first Mini. If anything the retina Mini mitigates most of the differences that the Air and Mini had last year.

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
i appreciate with all answer n you i dont say that its really problem i just discuss it is it problem or have some understanding issue

toemasuxsempai

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I went from an air to a mini retnia. There are no issues what so ever that I've come across yet. The news going about the screen color is taken way out of proportion. If you question it.. go to your nearest apple store and play with the device. Us telling you will all vary in opinion. I think the news is a way to bring the stock down. I've had an ipad 2, 3, 4, air and now mini with retina. I like the form factor.

As for a retention issue, I've went through the test 5 times, and haven't had an issue yet. For a company to make millions of devices in such a sort amount of time, I'd always assume some of the devices would be defective in some manner. Out if those millions of people, how many screens are actually bad?

With that in mind, why read an article that may hinder your purchase ability when you've never actually owned nor messed around with the device? Just buy it, and return it if it's bad for you. I guess I never understood why if a person wants something, ask people about it, go against any negative feedback and up buying the device anyways.

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I think it is all a matter of the individual looking at the screen. Some people are not as "picky" as others. I will not do the Image retention test because I do not want to find a perceived problem that does not occur in normal use. I tried it on my year old iPad 4 from work, and it had the screen retention, and I have never seen a trace of retention at all in heavy use on that device. I use my Mini pretty heavily, read on it, surf the web, look at photos, movies, etc. This so far has been great. I found the same with the few repeat trips to the Apple store looking at the Mini Retina display units and didn't see any issues on those either. I think the Media and Blogs hype problems to be more than they are sometimes, and I think this is that example.

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have not notice! But you have to really study it with detail photos to be able to tell! I think pro photographers and pro artists might be able to tell one from another however. But for the rest of the 99%; there is not problem and you cannot tell the difference!

Scallops

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I had a rMini, along with my wife, but I did return it for an Air. I'm just a amateur photographer, but if you look at photos of say a blue Iris - or a red Rose on my Air and then on my wife's mini, the difference is not subtle at all. It's strikingly obvious. On the other hand, look at a high definition photo of a white tulip - and the Mini looks as good, if not actually better....

I like the new Mini.....but true colour reproduction is important to me. Everything has it trade offs. If folks can't see a difference, then it matters not! I wouldn't want anyone to feel bad about their new iGadget, and only post to put the point that I'm not sure it's a storm in a tea cup at all. I think Apple should be up front about the difference. A near 40% difference in sRGB on a display marketed as premium is not fair, as far as I'm concerned.....and really, I have many high definition photos where the difference is nothing short of obvious. It mattered enough to me, to the point where I swapped my rMini out.

My wife? Can see the difference - doesn't care less, loves her rMini - so everyone is happy! I think the chap who writes all the reviews here put it very well. Pick what works for you - you can't really lose with either, but be aware of each device's limitations.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Last edited:

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
here some review check i read it :
There have been two major complaints about the Retina display found in the iPad mini: image retention and muted colors. During regular use, we did not experience any severe instances of “ghosting” or screen burn-in. It could be that the issues with retention are isolated, but for us, at least, it was a non-issue.

As for muted colors, we’ll agree that the Retina display of the iPad mini does not produce a one-for-one reproduction of the Retina display of the iPad Air or other models, but to say this is a knock on the tablet would be nitpicking. HD video still looked great, apps and games appeared crisp and clear, and the overall experience was a definite upgrade over the original iPad mini.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
The iPad minis biggest problem is extreme case of image retention and at the very least one dead pixel. That's bout it really

-Yar I be a Pirate according to Phil and Co. At AndroidCentral because I run 10.2.1 and sideload

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The iPad minis biggest problem is extreme case of image retention and at the very least one dead pixel. That's bout it really

-Yar I be a Pirate according to Phil and Co. At AndroidCentral because I run 10.2.1 and sideload

No dead pixels on mine

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been very lucky with Apple screens. The one dead pixel I saw was years ago on the first generation iPod Touch. This is the best ipad I have had this far.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think many of the "issues" you would only noticed if you used the two side by side. Same with last year most Didnt think the mini screen was that bad if they never used a retina display.

ZeroLeonheart

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I've Jphad mine since the 15th, and I feel like the color gamut is a nonissue. I'm not a pro photographer, so my opinion only goes as far as a typical consumer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro