Retina mini or mini for the kids?

AndrasFL

Nov 14, 2013
plus.google.com
My kids are boys in the age 3, 8 and 12. The 1-year old has to wait :)
But I'm in doubt what to give them for Christmas, the retina mini or the older mini.
Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Andras

Sendt fra min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the Site!!! .. Given their young age I would consider the regular mini, it is a fantastic device and given the lower price tag it may be a better fit for younger kids. I have the original mini and find it to be fantastic. I don't think you 12 year old would be upset if his iPad was non retina.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would agree regular mini would be fine .. Or even a ipad 2 ..
I recommend buying referb from apple it will save you some cash and still has same one year warranty as buying new ..

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
The mini would be cheaper, but kids like to play games the mini with retina has an a7 chip and is 64 bit. It's all on what your willing to pay and what they will be using them for,

AndrasFL

Nov 14, 2013
plus.google.com
Thanks for the welcome salute :)
They are going to use it for games and YouTube ect. Isn't the mini powerful enough for most games?

Sendt fra min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Karen and others who said the first Mini will be fine. You'll be saving money for other things that you may need more. I bought my 2 kids the Mini last year for Christmas and they still use it every day. My son loves playing games on it and said the other day that it was the best Christmas present that he ever got, lol. Unlike tech savvy adults, kids don't care about a Retina display....

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
and the apple outlet has refurb ones starting at $250 for the 16 gig- right now they have no stock but that changes all the time-

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Welcome!!!! I agree with the crowd, the Original Mini will be fine. My 16 & 18 yr old boys both have Original Minis and they love them. I told them the new rMini came out and they could care less, they're happy with what they got.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Mini's are on my kids Xmas list this year as well. I am looking at the the original mini for them as well. I may also pick up a couple of the new ones for the wife and myself. We will see how the cash flow is when we are done with the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would go with the retina. If you want your children to have a favorable Apple experience don't use the original mini. It is fine for reading and casual browsing but is under powered for gaming and other content. I would go with the retina. If money is an issue go with a cheaper nexus tablet rather than the original mini.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using iMore Forums mobile app

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Our kid (11) received a mini wifi last Christmas, and now has my old mini LTE. His mini wifi was sold to help fund my rMini LTE. In a year or two if/when I decide to upgrade (for TouchID), he'll get the rMini LTE. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a kid a rMini, but I suspect they're be pleased with any of them.

AndrasFL

Nov 14, 2013
plus.google.com
Funny it is. My wife went to the shop to buy the older mini, but she came home with three mini retina. The children love them.
Merry Christmas and a happy New year 😊

Sendt fra min LG-D802 med Tapatalk